Old 15-10-2006, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weeds

Does anyone have any good ideas about how to get rid of weeds and grass
from a rather large sloped area in my garden? Ultimately, I want to
plant a wide flower meadow onto it but I gather I need to get rid of
the grass that's there first.

What do people think?

Old 15-10-2006, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Does anyone have any good ideas about how to get rid of weeds and grass
from a rather large sloped area in my garden? Ultimately, I want to
plant a wide flower meadow onto it but I gather I need to get rid of
the grass that's there first.

What do people think?

Cover them so that they cannot see light they will all perish even deep
roots

Old 15-10-2006, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone have any good ideas about how to get rid of weeds and grass
from a rather large sloped area in my garden? Ultimately, I want to
plant a wide flower meadow onto it but I gather I need to get rid of
the grass that's there first.

What do people think?

Depends how much time and effort you have got to spare. You could dig up the
ground and carefully pull out each root of everything in which case project
meadow could go ahead next spring, or you could hire a brush cutter to cut
the undergrowth to a uniform 1 cm and then go down the supermarket and get
huge piles of cardboard packaging and make an airtight layer over the whole
area using bricks etc to hold it down, in which case you would be looking at
2 years before starting operation meadow. Mostly though IME avoid rotavating
as weeds like twitch and dandelions make excellent root cuttings :-(

Gill M

Old 15-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Registered User

Location: North Wales on mountain side

I have done quite a few areas like this and my preferred method is to spray and then cover the area. If you don't like the idea of spraying though covering it will have the same effect but size may be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Old 15-10-2006, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Gill Matthews writes

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The problem with anything where you leave weeds to die down in situ is
that in rotting they will help raise the fertility of the soil, which is
one of the main problems in starting a meadow - in fertile conditions,
grass and things like dandelion out-perform the sort of flowers which
most people want to see - a problem if you want to establish a
permanent wildflower sward. I don't know what the situation is with an
annual meadow of cornfield weed type flowers.
--
Kay

Old 16-10-2006, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gill Matthews" wrote in message
wrote in message

Does anyone have any good ideas about how to get rid of weeds and

grass
from a rather large sloped area in my garden?

as weeds like twitch and dandelions make excellent root cuttings :-(

Why aren't dandelions considered to be a meadow flower?

I've always liked dandelions and have always left them in the garden
(and I'm interested in the hstory of food and in self sufficiency so
they also get a thumbs up with me for that aspect).

Mu husband hates them and keep spreading them by trying to dig them
out (I don't tell him he's really multiplying them :-)) so I was
delighted to show him the picture from "The Garden at Highgrove" where
Prince Charles has them in his wildflower meadow.

Old 16-10-2006, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Farm1 writes
wrote in message

Does anyone have any good ideas about how to get rid of weeds and

grass
from a rather large sloped area in my garden?

as weeds like twitch and dandelions make excellent root cuttings :-(

Why aren't dandelions considered to be a meadow flower?

Because we have too many of the damned things! They're ubiquitous.

I've always liked dandelions and have always left them in the garden
(and I'm interested in the hstory of food and in self sufficiency so
they also get a thumbs up with me for that aspect).

If I left mine, I wouldn't have room for anything else.

--
Kay
Old 16-10-2006, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Farm1 wrote:
I've always liked dandelions and have always left them in the garden
(and I'm interested in the hstory of food and in self sufficiency so
they also get a thumbs up with me for that aspect).

Oh. My heart just jumped ) As a kid, I spent days picking them for
the rabbits. I had my own knife and I thought it was a grand job. All
the guineas pigs and rabbits we've had as pets here got the same
treatment. But not entirely the same ending, since they were pets ....

Mu husband hates them and keep spreading them by trying to dig them
out (I don't tell him he's really multiplying them :-)) so I was
delighted to show him the picture from "The Garden at Highgrove" where
Prince Charles has them in his wildflower meadow.

I keep some, especially at the front of my plot, but I have to be
careful - I once was told some plot holders didn't like them and I
could get into trouble if I didn't get rid of them. Now it's the job of
my youngest to pick them up. He only take off the heads to keep the
neighbours happy. However, I don't know how much you get in your
climate (not sure which part of oz you're in, I've seen plots here
entirely covered in them. It's pretty, but it's a big job to get rid of
them all.

Old 17-10-2006, 05:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message Farm1 wrote:
I've always liked dandelions and have always left them in the

garden
(and I'm interested in the hstory of food and in self sufficiency

so
they also get a thumbs up with me for that aspect).

Oh. My heart just jumped ) As a kid, I spent days picking them for
the rabbits. I had my own knife and I thought it was a grand job.

All
the guineas pigs and rabbits we've had as pets here got the same
treatment. But not entirely the same ending, since they were pets

Budgerigars like them too.

[...]

We have far worse weeds and the dandelions aren't too numerous so I
leave them.

I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 09:45 PM
Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden? Jay Chan Gardening 56 18-07-2004 06:02 AM
Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden? possibly OT Salty Thumb Gardening 0 22-06-2004 11:04 PM
weeds? Pam Gardening 16 25-03-2003 03:20 PM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 14-03-2003 11:09 PM