Old 17-10-2006, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Darling-Sweetie BBC2 Digging Deep

If ever there was a programme to kill my enthusiasm for gardening this is
it.

"Andre Smith and Amanda Brook transform gardens with the aim of improving
the owner's emotional well-being, by focusing on the hidden psychological
reasons behind the neglected hedges and entangled borders"

Yuk ab foul!

Old 17-10-2006, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
If ever there was a programme to kill my enthusiasm for gardening this is
it.

"Andre Smith and Amanda Brook transform gardens with the aim of improving
the owner's emotional well-being, by focusing on the hidden psychological
reasons behind the neglected hedges and entangled borders"

Yuk ab foul!

Bloomin eck it's got worse.
Amanda has decided to plant herbs to help the healing process of the owner
who has had a double mastectomy.
Anyone know of a garden shredder which will macerate Amanda -sweetie

Old 17-10-2006, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
writes

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
If ever there was a programme to kill my enthusiasm for gardening this is
it.

"Andre Smith and Amanda Brook transform gardens with the aim of improving
the owner's emotional well-being, by focusing on the hidden psychological
reasons behind the neglected hedges and entangled borders"

Yuk ab foul!

Bloomin eck it's got worse.
Amanda has decided to plant herbs to help the healing process of the owner
who has had a double mastectomy.
Anyone know of a garden shredder which will macerate Amanda -sweetie

Could NOT believe it, my darling!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 17-10-2006, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

Bloomin eck it's got worse.
Amanda has decided to plant herbs to help the healing process of the

owner
who has had a double mastectomy.
Anyone know of a garden shredder which will macerate Amanda -sweetie

There are big shredders driven by the PTO on a tractor. They work
brilliantly for roadkill. Bung the body of a dead kangaroo down the
feed chute and then follow it with a bale of straw or some old
cardboard and Hey Presto! you have Blood and Bone.

Old 17-10-2006, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Klara" wrote
In message , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
If ever there was a programme to kill my enthusiasm for gardening
this is it.

I just felt like killing the commissioning editor. :-/

"Andre Smith and Amanda Brook transform gardens with the aim of
improving the owner's emotional well-being, by focusing on the
hidden psychological reasons behind the neglected hedges and
entangled borders"

Yuk ab foul!

Bloomin eck it's got worse.
Amanda has decided to plant herbs to help the healing process of the
owner who has had a double mastectomy.
Anyone know of a garden shredder which will macerate Amanda -sweetie

Could NOT believe it, my darling!

Ab but not exactly Fab. Just what we needed, another 'all done in a few
hours' makeover programme. They should obviously have swapped the time
slots and put Carol's programme on in the evening instead of these two..
sweeties.

--
Sue

Old 17-10-2006, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"wrote ...
If ever there was a programme to kill my enthusiasm for gardening this is
it.

"Andre Smith and Amanda Brook transform gardens with the aim of improving
the owner's emotional well-being, by focusing on the hidden psychological
reasons behind the neglected hedges and entangled borders"

Yuk ab foul!

I didn't bother to watch it after reading their gardening advice column in
the Radio Times...
I quote...
Q. Having moved from Italy, I miss the Mediterranean vibe. Can you suggest
ideas to bring a bit of that vibe here? (MF. London)
A.There are Med plants that will thrive in the south of England, though they
might need some more nurturing. Hit your garden with olive, lemon and orange
trees, which will yield fantastic citrussy colours and scents. Figs are
another good bet, and have the bonus of being sculptural. If there is room
you could build a pergola through which you could train a vine.

So we in the south can all grow olive, lemon and orange trees in our
gardens...news to me, they won't survive in most of warmer London either,
only in specific garden microclimates (like Dave Poole's). You need to drag
them back inside to avoid the frosty weather.
--
Regards
Bob H

Old 17-10-2006, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

So we in the south can all grow olive, lemon and orange trees in our
gardens...news to me, they won't survive in most of warmer London either,
only in specific garden microclimates (like Dave Poole's). You need to
drag them back inside to avoid the frosty weather.
--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK

I only watched 10 mins of this programme and then turned over, strange
'woman' that darling-sweetie wotever her name is.

But, Bob I live in Felpham, Bognor Regis and lots of gardens have olive
trees here, established, large and growing outside, don't know about the
other trees you mentioned though. We haven't lived here long (18 months)
coming from Thornton Heath near Croydon, and were amazed to see them in
front gardens with fruit/olives growing in abundance on them. Plants do
seem to grow easily here though, and the frost seems to be at a different
time of year.

Old 18-10-2006, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"doobydoobydo" wrote in message

But, Bob I live in Felpham, Bognor Regis and lots of gardens have

olive
trees here, established, large and growing outside, don't know about

the
other trees you mentioned though. We haven't lived here long (18

months)
coming from Thornton Heath near Croydon, and were amazed to see them

in
front gardens with fruit/olives growing in abundance on them.

Plants do
seem to grow easily here though, and the frost seems to be at a

different
time of year.

I grow olives and I get down to -10 degrees C. But then I also don't
have wet soil in winter which may be a factor for being able to grow
them

Old 18-10-2006, 12:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" contains these words:

If ever there was a programme to kill my enthusiasm for gardening this is
it.

"Andre Smith and Amanda Brook transform gardens with the aim of improving
the owner's emotional well-being, by focusing on the hidden psychological
reasons behind the neglected hedges and entangled borders"

Damn, I was just about to do something similar on urg. (But without
pictures, obviously; you just have to visualise).

Janet.
Old 18-10-2006, 01:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

So we in the south can all grow olive, lemon and orange trees in our
gardens...news to me, they won't survive in most of warmer London either,
only in specific garden microclimates (like Dave Poole's). You need to drag
them back inside to avoid the frosty weather.

There are a few folks growing lemons, mandarins and even avocados
within the London conurbation Bob, but most of the oranges need more
heat. Outside of the 'heat-sink' area, the frequency and intensity of
winter frosts is too great. Of course gardening luvvies like these
don't worry about such trivia. They are only concerned with the
immediate effect and never stop to consider what happens over the
ensuing months and years.

Oranges will grow here and produce fruit, but the sweet flesh does not
develop at low temperatures so they are only useful for ornament or for
using the rind/zest in cooking. I've been experimenting with Limequats
recently. This is a hybrid between the Florida Key lime and Nagami
Kumquat. Limes need a lot of heat to grow well and are the least cold
resistant of the citrus family. However, the kumquat is remarkably
cool tolerant and the fruit develops quickly. These qualities are
passed down to the hybrid although the fruits are quite small. Mine
flowered in June this year and I picked several fruits this weekend.
The flavour was excellent. Pick them green if you want a lime, wait a
couple of months and pick them yellow if you want a semi-sweet lemon.

Back to this programme, 'Digging Deep' quickly reached the expected
nadir of pseudo-horticulture and managed to keep me awake for less than
10 minutes. What I saw was pretentiously plebby and about as gripping
as a blancmange handshake. However, on the bright side, I got a good
couple of hours unexpected zzzz so for me it was therapeutic.

Old 18-10-2006, 07:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
If ever there was a programme to kill my enthusiasm for gardening this is
it.

"Andre Smith and Amanda Brook transform gardens with the aim of improving
the owner's emotional well-being, by focusing on the hidden psychological
reasons behind the neglected hedges and entangled borders"

Yuk ab foul!

Totally agree 'dahrling'...........' !!!!!!!!!!!
yuk indeed
jenny

Old 18-10-2006, 07:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" contains these words:

If ever there was a programme to kill my enthusiasm for gardening this is
it.

"Andre Smith and Amanda Brook transform gardens with the aim of improving
the owner's emotional well-being, by focusing on the hidden psychological
reasons behind the neglected hedges and entangled borders"

Damn, I was just about to do something similar on urg. (But without
pictures, obviously; you just have to visualise).

Janet.

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Jenny "~)

Old 18-10-2006, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 22:23:03 +0100, Klara
wrote:

In message , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
writes

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
If ever there was a programme to kill my enthusiasm for gardening this is
it.

"Andre Smith and Amanda Brook transform gardens with the aim of improving
the owner's emotional well-being, by focusing on the hidden psychological
reasons behind the neglected hedges and entangled borders"

Yuk ab foul!

Bloomin eck it's got worse.
Amanda has decided to plant herbs to help the healing process of the owner
who has had a double mastectomy.
Anyone know of a garden shredder which will macerate Amanda -sweetie

Could NOT believe it, my darling!

It was very disappointing. I go right off garden "Experts" who cannot
get the names of plants right and when Andre got "jasminoides" quite
wrong, I went off him.
Were the oleanders in pots or in the ground?
They cut back a "maple" but from the fleeting close-up of the leaves,
my bad eyes had me thinking it was liquidambar , not maple. I didn't
record it, so can't re-watch.
Thumbs down to the BBC for this one.

Pam in Bristol
Old 18-10-2006, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pam Moore
writes
It was very disappointing. I go right off garden "Experts" who cannot
get the names of plants right and when Andre got "jasminoides" quite
wrong, I went off him.
Were the oleanders in pots or in the ground?
They cut back a "maple" but from the fleeting close-up of the leaves,
my bad eyes had me thinking it was liquidambar , not maple. I didn't
record it, so can't re-watch.
Thumbs down to the BBC for this one.

Pam in Bristol

From the gardening point of view it was total rubbish, from an
entertainment point of view too, probably, but what about the principle?
I would have thought that what is healing about gardening is thinking
about it and then doing it yourself (unless you really can't): the
creative, nurturing aspect. Otherwise you might as well go to a park...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 18-10-2006, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bloomin eck it's got worse.
Amanda has decided to plant herbs to help the healing process of the owner
who has had a double mastectomy.
Anyone know of a garden shredder which will macerate Amanda -sweetie

Could NOT believe it, my darling!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Some suggest that I'm deprived of information because I don't have a telly
:-)

I can live with such deprivation.

Mary
with breast cancer