Old 21-10-2006, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Digging Deep - BBC reply.....

Dear URG,

I sent the BBC this last week:

{Programme Name:} Digging Deep
{Transmission Date:}17 - 10 - 06

{Comments:}
You really should read the thread "Darling-Sweetie BBC2 Digging Deep" at
uk.rec.gardening about the show.

EVERYBODY finds it absolutly ghastly ! What is the BBC thinking - putting
out such rubbish.

Much better to have Carol kleins excellent program at peak times instead of
such garbage!

Here's their reply (lets hope they take notice!):

Dear Ms Cockskull

Thank you for your e-mail regarding 'Digging Deep'.

I understand that you feel that this programme is of poor quality.

If I may explain, whilst we try to provide a wide range of programmes across
our television output that will be of interest to every section of our
audience, there will inevitably be times, hopefully rare, when what is on
offer does not meet your own particular interests. Research shows us that in
a typical week we do provide a substantial number of programmes which
everyone can enjoy, but I am sorry that you have been disappointed with the
choice on offer recently.

Please be assured that your comments have been registered on our audience
log. This internal document is available to the 'Digging Deep' programme
makers and senior management.

You may find something of interest on the bbc.co.uk 'Gardening' homepage:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/

Feedback of this nature helps us when making decisions about future BBC
programmes and services and your comments will play a part in this process.

May I take this opportunity to thank you again for taking time to contact
the BBC.

Regards

Ross Cuthbertson
BBC Information
______________________________________
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ - World Wide Wonderland

Old 21-10-2006, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

JennyC writes
Dear URG,

I sent the BBC this last week:

{Programme Name:} Digging Deep
{Transmission Date:}17 - 10 - 06

{Comments:}
You really should read the thread "Darling-Sweetie BBC2 Digging Deep" at
uk.rec.gardening about the show.

EVERYBODY finds it absolutly ghastly ! What is the BBC thinking - putting
out such rubbish.

Much better to have Carol kleins excellent program at peak times instead of
such garbage!

================================================= ========

Here's their reply (lets hope they take notice!):

I don't think they've even read yours! You make the point that a large
no. of people do not like this programme; they reply with a standardised
letter which assumes you are speaking for yourself alone.
--
Kay
Old 21-10-2006, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 18:31:22 +0200, "JennyC"
wrote:

[...]

Well done Jenny
I see you stayed off the swear words this time!

Pam in Bristol
Old 22-10-2006, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes

I don't think they've even read yours! You make the point that a large
no. of people do not like this programme; they reply with a
standardised letter which assumes you are speaking for yourself alone.

Presumably they called it Digging Deep as they are running out of ideas
for programmes and this was at the bottom of the barrel?

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 25-10-2006, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Martin wrote:
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 08:47:06 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , K
writes

I don't think they've even read yours! You make the point that a large
no. of people do not like this programme; they reply with a
standardised letter which assumes you are speaking for yourself alone.

Presumably they called it Digging Deep as they are running out of ideas
for programmes and this was at the bottom of the barrel?

ROFL

I'm not a big telly man, but this thread got me to watch last night's
prog, and I don't go all the way with the generally negative reaction.
For various reasons I didn't like the garden they threw together, and
I'm very uneasy about strangers hurtling in and offering to solve awful
emotional problems at a stroke -- in public, at that. But I thought the
concept was actually a good one: the psych aspects of gardening and
garden design, at one level or another, are what gardening is actually
_about_, and well worth a TV series.

You can pose questions of taste about the on-screen image of the
sweeties (I didn't mind) and the worrying intrusiveness, and as
gardeners they don't seem to know shit from shoeshine; but they really
did identify a link between the garden and what was going on for that
family, and I found that valid and interesting. It made me think a bit
about how I would have tackled it.

--
Mike.

Old 25-10-2006, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message . com, Mike
Lyle writes
[...]

It wasn't anywhere near as bad and cringe-making as the first one.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 25-10-2006, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com, Mike
Lyle writes

But I thought the
concept was actually a good one: the psych aspects of gardening and
garden design,

I would have thought actual hands on gardening is more therapeutic than
watching two weirdo's do it all for you to their taste!

Old 25-10-2006, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article . com, Mike
Lyle writes

But I thought the
concept was actually a good one: the psych aspects of gardening and
garden design,

I would have thought actual hands on gardening is more therapeutic than
watching two weirdo's do it all for you to their taste!

Absolutely!!!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 25-10-2006, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 18:36:04 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article . com, Mike
Lyle writes

But I thought the
concept was actually a good one: the psych aspects of gardening and
garden design,

I would have thought actual hands on gardening is more therapeutic than
watching two weirdo's do it all for you to their taste!

Not nearly as bad as last week. The result was quite good but it was
a cross between a gardening programme and "What not to wear". White
trousers/white skirt not quiteappropriate!
Can anyone explain why there was a wall across the circular lawn?
Also will someone please tell the chap that it's trachelospermum
jasminoides not "jas-mini-oids" as he said twice last night and once
last week!

Pam in Bristol
Old 25-10-2006, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Klara wrote:
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article . com, Mike
Lyle writes

But I thought the
concept was actually a good one: the psych aspects of gardening and
garden design,

I would have thought actual hands on gardening is more therapeutic than
watching two weirdo's do it all for you to their taste!

Absolutely!!!

But the point was that they'd _stopped_ doing hands-on gardening. At
least the ready-made garden they got would, we hope, get them out there
again.

--
Mike.

Old 26-10-2006, 05:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Klara" wrote in message
In message . com, Mike
Lyle writes
[...]

Like you I could not resist watching a bit of it to see if it was as bad as
last weeks episode...... As you say, not quite as ghastly and the end result
was rather good!
Jenny

Old 26-10-2006, 05:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

In article . com, Mike
Lyle writes

But I thought the
concept was actually a good one: the psych aspects of gardening and
garden design,

I would have thought actual hands on gardening is more therapeutic than
watching two weirdo's do it all for you to their taste!

Not nearly as bad as last week. The result was quite good but it was
a cross between a gardening programme and "What not to wear". White
trousers/white skirt not quite appropriate!

LOL. I have friend who gardens in desogner jeans (ironed ones!)

Can anyone explain why there was a wall across the circular lawn?
Also will someone please tell the chap that it's trachelospermum
jasminoides not "jas-mini-oids" as he said twice last night and once
last week!

I think he's gay and just speaks in that affected way that some of them do
:~)

Pam in Bristol

Old 26-10-2006, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It wasn't anywhere near as bad and cringe-making as the first one.
Klara, Gatwick basin

In message , JennyC
writes

Like you I could not resist watching a bit of it to see if it was as bad as
last weeks episode...... As you say, not quite as ghastly and the end result
was rather good!
Jenny

I nearly said I was disappointed: I suppose secretly I was looking
forward to another episode of The Office or Extras, which I tend to
watch (nearly) from behind the sofa. But then I remembered the first
couple....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 26-10-2006, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com, Mike
Lyle writes

But the point was that they'd _stopped_ doing hands-on gardening. At
least the ready-made garden they got would, we hope, get them out there
again.

So how was that going to be therapeutic then? Isn't that like doing up
an "adult's room" so they can sit in it and relax?

Isn't a garden the least static thing you could enjoy? It needs tending
and time spent on it and the mother said that she didn't have any time
as she had the twins.

Janet
Old 26-10-2006, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Not nearly as bad as last week. The result was quite good but it was
a cross between a gardening programme and "What not to wear". White
trousers/white skirt not quite appropriate!
Pam in Bristol

Ah but didn't Judith garden in the now famous golden slippers?

Janet