Old 19-10-2006, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fungi ID

"Andy" wrote in message

My book says;
Habitat: meadows, parks, roadside verges, open woodland.
Season: midsummer to late autumn.
Size: Cap 10-25m, stem 15-35cm x 15-25mm.
Edible: Excellent nutty taste. Discard stem and fry the cap whole, coated
in breadcrumbs.

I saw my first parasols while walking the viewing paths at Sutton Hoo. They
were very pretty and said, "Eat Me". But they were on the other side of the
rope barrier. Son had an umbrella with him so hooked the nearest ones to
us - probably very naughty.

We took them home, did a Google identification, baked them in bacon fat in
the oven and, crossing fingers, ate them.

They really were the best fungi I've ever eaten and I wish I could find a
local source (we're in Yorkshire and son has been posted elsewhere since
then).

Mary

Old 20-10-2006, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Charlie Pridham
writes

I have been reading all the replies and I will not be rushing to eat any
just yet! I was just struck by how impressive they were this year (wish I
had taken a picture earlier as well to show them before they went flat)
Many thanks to all for the suggestions

Check if the ring round the stalk can be slid up and down it (on at
least some of the specimens in your swarm) - it's a Parasol feature.

Or, when you see a swarm starting (when they first come up and are
shaped like drumsticks for the bass drum in a military band)
post an urgent call for anyone in your area who can identify a Parasol
with certainty - negotiate payment in fungi for this.

If you were anywhere near Reading I'd be right there in the queue.

--
Sue ];(