Old 18-10-2006, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fungi ID

These have appeared in the garden and I wondered should I be worried or
getting the frying pan out?
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/fungi.htm

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 18-10-2006, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
These have appeared in the garden and I wondered should I be worried or
getting the frying pan out?
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/fungi.htm

If they smell strongly of radishes, they may well be mycena-pura which
were re-classified as poisonous just before 1975, when my reference
was first published. Apparently mycena-pura come in all colours including
white as here, although those shown on the web seem to be the more typical
purple. Mycena Pura grow in humus, organic waste, rotting leaves and needles
in damp places.

michael adams

Old 18-10-2006, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
These have appeared in the garden and I wondered should I be worried or
getting the frying pan out?
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/fungi.htm

--

They look like parasol mushrooms to me, but it's hard to be sure from the
photo alone. Please don't take my word for it, as if I'm wrong you could be

If you can confirm that they are indeed parasol mushrooms, then get the
frying pan out, as they are delicious. But make sure you really do confirm
it first.

Did I mention that you should make absolutely sure you know what they are
before they go anywhere near your frying pan?

Adam

Old 18-10-2006, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--

They look like parasol mushrooms to me, but it's hard to be sure from the
photo alone. Please don't take my word for it, as if I'm wrong you could be
in very serious trouble.

Yes I think that they are parasol mushrooms, we have lots altho I have
never eaten them, yet :-)

kate
Old 18-10-2006, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
These have appeared in the garden and I wondered should I be worried or
getting the frying pan out?
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/fungi.htm

If they smell strongly of radishes, they may well be mycena-pura which
were re-classified as poisonous just before 1975, when my reference
was first published. Apparently mycena-pura come in all colours including
white as here, although those shown on the web seem to be the more typical
purple. Mycena Pura grow in humus, organic waste, rotting leaves and needles
in damp places.

There's a piccy half way down on this rather slow loading page.
The gills are much larger in relation to the size of the disc
but the overall features look the same.

http://popgen.unimaas.nl/~jlindsey/c...asmiaceae.html

michael adams

Old 18-10-2006, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"michael adams" wrote in message
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
These have appeared in the garden and I wondered should I be worried or
getting the frying pan out?
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/fungi.htm

If they smell strongly of radishes, they may well be mycena-pura which
were re-classified as poisonous just before 1975, when my reference
was first published. Apparently mycena-pura come in all colours including
white as here, although those shown on the web seem to be the more typical
purple. Mycena Pura grow in humus, organic waste, rotting leaves and
needles
in damp places.

There's a piccy half way down on this rather slow loading page.
The gills are much larger in relation to the size of the disc
but the overall features look the same.

http://popgen.unimaas.nl/~jlindsey/c...asmiaceae.html

Sorry Michael, but are we looking at the same pictures? The pictures of
Mycena pura (at
http://popgen.unimaas.nl/~jlindsey/c...cena.pura.html)
if you want to bypass the slow-loading part of the page) don't look anything
even remotely like the picture in the OP's website, other than that they
both look like mushrooms.

The Mycena pura are smaller, have bigger gills, and waxier tops than the
OP's mushrooms, they are a different colour (although as you say, that isn't
necessarily conclusive), and probably more importantly they lack the stem
ring which the OP's mushrooms have.

I'm a little more confident now that they are parasol mushrooms, but still
not confident enough to recommend that anyone eats them without some further
research.

Adam

Old 18-10-2006, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in
:

These have appeared in the garden and I wondered should I be worried or
getting the frying pan out?
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/fungi.htm

I *suspect* they are a Lepiota (parasol) fungus, but
there are several different varieties of parasol.

The ordinary parasol fungus is delicious. The shaggy
parasol fungus is also delicious but sometimes causes
violent intestinal upsets for 24 hours. (I've both
suffered and been OK with shaggy parasols; perhaps
they were picking up something from where they were
growing?)

The only sane course of action is to carefully
identify them in conjunction with at least one
good book.

Old 18-10-2006, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
These have appeared in the garden and I wondered should I be worried or
getting the frying pan out?
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/fungi.htm

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

I agree with people that they are Parasol mushrooms. At any rate they are
very unlike Destroying Angels, Deathcaps and Panther Caps and the Ivory
Clitocybe, which are the nasty ones to look out for.

Do a spore test with a piece of glass ( place a cap on a watchglass, i.e. a
piece of flat glass for some hours, covered to keep moist, and look at the
colour of the spore pattern ( against a dark background ). They should be
white.
My book says;
Habitat: meadows, parks, roadside verges, open woodland.
Season: midsummer to late autumn.
Size: Cap 10-25m, stem 15-35cm x 15-25mm.
Edible: Excellent nutty taste. Discard stem and fry the cap whole, coated in
breadcrumbs.

When young, looks like an egg on a stick. Mature cap flat apart from raised,
dark brown central region which is surrounded by rings of flat brown scales
on a cream background. It has dry, creamy-white gills. The long hollow stem
tapers from a swollen base and bears faint snake-like markings below the
moveable double ring.
However, the Slender Parasol, which is about half the size is similar except
it lacks scales at the cap edge, so there is a good possibility it is that,
as I see a lack of scales at the cap edge as far as I can see in your
photos.

They look a bit addled for eating now anyway.

Andy.

Old 18-10-2006, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Adam" wrote in message

[...]

They're both flat. Not all mushrooms are flat. And parasols only
occassionaly.

The Mycena pura are smaller, have bigger gills, and waxier tops than the
OP's mushrooms, they are a different colour (although as you say, that

isn't
necessarily conclusive), and

probably more importantly they lack the stem ring which the OP's
mushrooms have.

Fair enough, I never paid sufficient attention to that.

michael adams

Old 18-10-2006, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"michael adams" wrote in message
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
These have appeared in the garden and I wondered should I be worried or
getting the frying pan out?
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/fungi.htm

If they smell strongly of radishes, they may well be mycena-pura which
were re-classified as poisonous just before 1975, when my reference
was first published. Apparently mycena-pura come in all colours including
white as here, although those shown on the web seem to be the more typical
purple. Mycena Pura grow in humus, organic waste, rotting leaves and
needles
in damp places.

There's a piccy half way down on this rather slow loading page.
The gills are much larger in relation to the size of the disc
but the overall features look the same.

http://popgen.unimaas.nl/~jlindsey/c...asmiaceae.html

It didn't look like that to me but I must say that it's a splendid site -
and not at all slow loading!

I'm going to peruse it more, thanks,

Mary

Old 18-10-2006, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Adam" wrote in message

I'm a little more confident now that they are parasol mushrooms, but still
not confident enough to recommend that anyone eats them without some
further research.

They looked like parasols to me at first sight but the gills showing round
the margins put me off being certain.

Mary

Adam

Old 18-10-2006, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message

They look like parasol mushrooms to me, but it's hard to be sure from the
photo alone. Please don't take my word for it, as if I'm wrong you could
be
in very serious trouble.

Yes I think that they are parasol mushrooms, we have lots altho I have
never eaten them, yet :-)

If you have true parasols do eat them, they're better than any other British
wild mushrooms in my opinion.

Mary

kate

Old 18-10-2006, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Andy wrote:
I agree with people that they are Parasol mushrooms.

Martin found the right image. Look for Macrolepiota procera, a parasol
mushroom.

Old 19-10-2006, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Adam" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
These have appeared in the garden and I wondered should I be worried or
getting the frying pan out?
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/fungi.htm

--

They look like parasol mushrooms to me, but it's hard to be sure from the
photo alone. Please don't take my word for it, as if I'm wrong you could

be
in very serious trouble.

If you can confirm that they are indeed parasol mushrooms, then get the
frying pan out, as they are delicious. But make sure you really do confirm
it first.

Did I mention that you should make absolutely sure you know what they are
before they go anywhere near your frying pan?

Adam

I have been reading all the replies and I will not be rushing to eat any
just yet! I was just struck by how impressive they were this year (wish I
had taken a picture earlier as well to show them before they went flat)
Many thanks to all for the suggestions

Old 19-10-2006, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Andy" wrote in message

[...]

Wonderful description, yes they are past there best. I shall have to take
steps to get them properly ID'd for next year. I am not likely to eat them
myself as most mushrooms have a bad effect on my stomach!