Old 26-10-2006, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default boards versus what?

"Little Weed" wrote in message

Well, I just had an image of empty wine bottles stacked, glued and
lashed together to provide a memorable fence!

Won't work but you could do it with mud bricks with the bottles used
within the mud bricks - that looks good if done well.

Old 26-10-2006, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Little Weed" wrote after me ...
We have used chippings on the central path (the only path)on our new plot
and have found that they do end up on the soil a bit but it's not a
problem,
worse is that without a solid edge it is difficult to keep the path
looking
straight edged as you keep damaging the edge. Would be better if the
paths
could be edged but the cost of tanalised timber gravel boards is
prohibitive, concrete gravel boards are even more expensive.

I haven't come across concrete gravel boards yet.
One of the bigger problems is the way slugs are harboured in whatever I
try to put down. We may try nematodes (sp?) in the spring, but I
thought these were expensive when looking through the internet for
suppliers
I would be interested in your opinion on these

Tried nematodes one year on our potatoes and decided it was not worth the
cost, we could see no difference to previous years. Cost was about £25 from
memory and you can buy a lot of organic spuds for that.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 26-10-2006, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I haven't come across concrete gravel boards yet.
One of the bigger problems is the way slugs are harboured in whatever I
try to put down. We may try nematodes (sp?) in the spring, but I
thought these were expensive when looking through the internet for
suppliers
I would be interested in your opinion on these

Tried nematodes one year on our potatoes and decided it was not worth the
cost, we could see no difference to previous years. Cost was about £25 from
memory and you can buy a lot of organic spuds for that.

--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK

That was about the cost that we sourced.
Did you find a useful alternative?
At the moment I'm reduced to plucking the slugs out as I spot them! i
also use slug killers but am hoping to prefer more organic methods

LW

Old 27-10-2006, 06:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
"JennyC" wrote in message

I've used old wine bottles turned upside down and tapped into the

soil.
Pic at : http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/gardenfront.htm
They have been in place now for 11 years and nor a single

breakage!
it takes a while to drink enough wine though..............hic

....... "~)
Jenny

That's not a bad idea at all. It would also save trips to the bottle

bank

Good ideas seem to have a life of their own. Bottles were a favoured
garden edging in Oz in the late 19th and early 20th century. The well
to do used nice terracotta moulded garden edges and the working class
used any sort of bottles matching up styles and bottle colours for
individual beds. Nice to see that the fashion is still alive and well
in a garden.

I know my place "~))
Jenny

Old 27-10-2006, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Little Weed" wrote

I haven't come across concrete gravel boards yet.
One of the bigger problems is the way slugs are harboured in whatever I
try to put down. We may try nematodes (sp?) in the spring, but I
thought these were expensive when looking through the internet for
suppliers
I would be interested in your opinion on these

Tried nematodes one year on our potatoes and decided it was not worth the
cost, we could see no difference to previous years. Cost was about £25
from
memory and you can buy a lot of organic spuds for that.

That was about the cost that we sourced.
Did you find a useful alternative?
At the moment I'm reduced to plucking the slugs out as I spot them! i
also use slug killers but am hoping to prefer more organic methods

No we haven't found an alternative other than using slug resistant varieties
of potato, we have found the following have good slug resistant.
Kestral (mauve eyed second early and a good keeper)
Spey (pink eyed maincrop and similar to Kestral) (can be difficult to get
"seed")
Romano (red, not as good at slug resistance as the above two but better than
anything else we've tried.)

There are a few others too but we haven't tried them (yet!).
--
Regards
Bob H

Old 27-10-2006, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Bob, I'm writing from the States Michigan that is, I didn't see the
original post from "Little Weed" asking about organic slug control, my wife
suggests placing a pie tin with the edge at ground level and filling it with
beer slugs get attracted and they belly up and drown and also sprinkling
diatomaceous earth (used in swimming pool filters)on the soil it cuts and
dehydrates their skin.Warning it might attract as many neighbors as slugs
;-)

Old 28-10-2006, 02:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

also use slug killers but am hoping to prefer more organic methods

Have you tried Marmite and water, or cornflakes and derris dust mixed
together or stale beer?

Old 28-10-2006, 02:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

I've used old wine bottles turned upside down and tapped into

the
soil.
Pic at : http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/gardenfront.htm

Good ideas seem to have a life of their own. Bottles were a

favoured
garden edging in Oz in the late 19th and early 20th century. The

well
to do used nice terracotta moulded garden edges and the working

class
used any sort of bottles matching up styles and bottle colours for
individual beds. Nice to see that the fashion is still alive and

well
in a garden.

I know my place "~))

LOL. I've always thought they were a good tough solution and it
certainly saves landfill sites :-))

Old 28-10-2006, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

I've used old wine bottles turned upside down and tapped into

the
soil.
Pic at : http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/gardenfront.htm

Good ideas seem to have a life of their own. Bottles were a

favoured
garden edging in Oz in the late 19th and early 20th century. The

well
to do used nice terracotta moulded garden edges and the working

class
used any sort of bottles matching up styles and bottle colours for
individual beds. Nice to see that the fashion is still alive and

well
in a garden.

I know my place "~))

LOL. I've always thought they were a good tough solution and it
certainly saves landfill sites :-))

One nice thing is that tiny ferns grow inside some of them and look pretty
:~))
I'll take a picture if the sun comes out today........
Jenny

Old 29-10-2006, 03:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 11:07:18 +1000, "Farm1"

please@askifyouwannaknow
wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

also use slug killers but am hoping to prefer more organic

methods

Have you tried Marmite and water, or cornflakes and derris dust

mixed
together or stale beer?

For the slugs?

Yes, and snails.

Old 29-10-2006, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
On 29 Oct 2006 14:14:03 -0800, "Little Weed"
wrote:

Have you tried Marmite and water, or cornflakes and derris dust
mixedtogether or stale beer?

For the slugs?

Yes, and snails.

I was at Helmesley walled garden in N Yorkshire this weekend and one of
their notices suggested crushed egg shells and coffee grounds - will
let you know.
For now I'm just cutting them up

Saucers of beer certainly work.
Martin

We used to live next door to a fanatical slug hater. She had loads of

'beer
traps' in her garden, which used to attract a LOT of slugs and snails. The
funny thing was that I hardly had any at all..... I think they used to
migrate to her garden from miles around, thereby ridding the surrounding
gardens of the pests as well!

One night I saw a torch flickering in her garden in a weird fashion. I was
afraid it was burglars, but when I went out to check, it was my neighbour
doing her rounds topping up the traps !

Jenny

good for her. I resort to a flash light and salt. The beer traps I tried
were not too successful, nor the baited traps using bran flakes. A torch,
salt and a sharp eyes gets me the best results.

rob

Old 31-10-2006, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote

Saucers of beer certainly work.
Martin

Heineken is a killer.
Martin

Speaks there the voice of experience ??
Jenny "~)

Old 31-10-2006, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:41:10 +0100, "JennyC"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote

Saucers of beer certainly work.
Martin

Heineken is a killer.
Martin

Speaks there the voice of experience ??

both slug and personal experience.

I took a decade to work out what was causing mysterious stomach pains.
--

Martin

I take it that real ale isn't an option
my husband certainly isn't parting with it voluntarily.
anyway - this is all by the bye..i can't get down to my allotment until
the weekends. It is too dark to investigate what is going on! AArgh! I
have to drive past and wait until saturday

LW (grumble)