Old 26-10-2006, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default leylandii stupidity ?

My next door neighbour has planted a row of the things about 6 inches
away from my boundary, presumably I will have the right to keep these
prune off my side.. so isn't this a bit close ?

--
Simon

Old 26-10-2006, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned ned is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
My next door neighbour has planted a row of the things about 6

inches
away from my boundary, presumably I will have the right to keep

these
prune off my side.. so isn't this a bit close ?

--
Simon

Yep! Absolutely.
........ Unless, of course, he intends to keep them trimmed to 2 feet
high.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk

Old 26-10-2006, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...
My next door neighbour has planted a row of the things about 6 inches
away from my boundary, presumably I will have the right to keep these
prune off my side.. so isn't this a bit close ?

The trunk will eventually grow to be more than 6" diameter.

Mary

--
Simon

Old 26-10-2006, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
My next door neighbour has planted a row of the things about 6 inches
away from my boundary, presumably I will have the right to keep these
prune off my side.. so isn't this a bit close ?

The trunk will eventually grow to be more than 6" diameter.

Is there any hope at all of growin a reasonable hedge there, assuming
I prune it back over to her side ? I would have thought you'd want a
more bushy plant for such a thin hedge ?

--

Simon

Old 26-10-2006, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
My next door neighbour has planted a row of the things about 6 inches
away from my boundary, presumably I will have the right to keep these
prune off my side.. so isn't this a bit close ?

The trunk will eventually grow to be more than 6" diameter.

Is there any hope at all of growin a reasonable hedge there, assuming
I prune it back over to her side ? I would have thought you'd want a
more bushy plant for such a thin hedge ?

If you keep it cut back at your side it will look awful.

--

Simon

Old 26-10-2006, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
My next door neighbour has planted a row of the things about 6 inches
away from my boundary, presumably I will have the right to keep these
prune off my side.. so isn't this a bit close ?

The trunk will eventually grow to be more than 6" diameter.

Is there any hope at all of growin a reasonable hedge there, assuming
I prune it back over to her side ? I would have thought you'd want a
more bushy plant for such a thin hedge ?

If you keep it cut back at your side it will look awful.

they've put some string across as if they are expecting the branches to
grow along it... not my experience with Leylandii, it just goes where
it wants to doesn't it ?

Old 26-10-2006, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Mary Fisher wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
My next door neighbour has planted a row of the things about 6 inches
away from my boundary, presumably I will have the right to keep these
prune off my side.. so isn't this a bit close ?

The trunk will eventually grow to be more than 6" diameter.

Is there any hope at all of growin a reasonable hedge there, assuming
I prune it back over to her side ? I would have thought you'd want a
more bushy plant for such a thin hedge ?

If you keep it cut back at your side it will look awful.

I'd move house now, before the things make the place harder to sell.
Let somebody else have the aggro.

--
Mike.

Old 26-10-2006, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...
My next door neighbour has planted a row of the things about 6 inches
away from my boundary, presumably I will have the right to keep these
prune off my side.. so isn't this a bit close ?

--
Simon

Fancy your neighbours hating you that much :-((

I have wonderful neighbours front and back (my garden goes through to the
road behind) and one doesn't know how beneficial it is to have good
neighbours.

I feel that now is the time to swallow your pride and make friends with your
neighbours and explain the problem for them in the future as this beast
grows. Please note "for them" :-)))

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 26-10-2006, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com,
" writes:

| they've put some string across as if they are expecting the branches to
| grow along it... not my experience with Leylandii, it just goes where
| it wants to doesn't it ?

They clearly don't know their leylandii from their Lonicera.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-10-2006, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26 Oct 2006 07:07:31 -0700, "
wrote:

My next door neighbour has planted a row of the things about 6 inches
away from my boundary, presumably I will have the right to keep these
prune off my side.. so isn't this a bit close ?

My neighbour did the same thing about 20 years ago. She has always
kept the hedge down to about five foot and it looks OK. It also keeps
a rotting wood fence in place so that's a bonus!

Steve

http://www.easynn.com
Old 26-10-2006, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

PB wrote:
wrote:
My next door neighbour has planted a row of the things about 6 inches
away from my boundary, presumably I will have the right to keep these
prune off my side.. so isn't this a bit close ?

I like to keep the foot of my fence clear of weeds with sodium chlorate.
Unfortunately it seems to have a serious effect on my neighbours
leylandi. Do you think I should use something else?

been googling, found this Presumably they realise that they need my
permission if they want to cut it from my side.

http://www.evergreenhedging.co.uk/maintain.htm
quote:

If the boundary is shared with a neighbour, they should be consulted,
as they will need to maintain their side of the hedge. You should
ensure they have the ability to do so and you should not allow the
hedge to grow to a height where it becomes a nuisance to them.

Old 26-10-2006, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26 Oct 2006 07:07:31 -0700, "
wrote:

My next door neighbour has planted a row of the things about 6 inches
away from my boundary, presumably I will have the right to keep these
prune off my side.. so isn't this a bit close ?

Simon, have you spoken to them about it?
Maybe they don't realise the implications.
Maybe they would consider moving the newly planted trees away from
your boundary before it's too late. They may be quite amicable about
it. Don't start a war unnecessarily.

Pam in Bristol
Old 27-10-2006, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 15:37:25 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
My next door neighbour has planted a row of the things about 6 inches
away from my boundary, presumably I will have the right to keep these
prune off my side.. so isn't this a bit close ?

The trunk will eventually grow to be more than 6" diameter.

Mary

Not necessarily