Old 31-10-2006, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can you grow the nuts and fruit from Supermarkets ??

I am lead to believe that most of the in shell nuts and some fruit are
irradiated that you buy from shops.

This then means that they cannot be grown, as they are technically
dead.

But how do I know what has and what has not ??
Old 31-10-2006, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue Sue is offline

test

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

Old 31-10-2006, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue Sue is offline

If you can float an acorn in a bucket of water it will not grow. If it sinks
it will grow.

Maybe this will work with nuts too!

Sue Wo

Old 31-10-2006, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BigSteve" wrote in message
I am lead to believe that most of the in shell nuts and some fruit are
irradiated that you buy from shops.

What makes you believe that?

Mary

Old 31-10-2006, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BigSteve" wrote in message
I am lead to believe that most of the in shell nuts and some fruit are
irradiated that you buy from shops.

This then means that they cannot be grown, as they are technically
dead.

But how do I know what has and what has not ??

Most nuts and fruit are not irradiated in the uk. However you might have
trouble getting most types of tree fruit and some types of nuts such as
almonds to grow well because they may have come from grafted trees i.e. the
root of the tree is a different variety from the top. I have grown Hazelnuts
and walnuts from bought nuts but I moved before I saw them fruit (or nut)

Gill

Old 01-11-2006, 07:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BigSteve" wrote in message
I am lead to believe that most of the in shell nuts and some fruit are
irradiated that you buy from shops.

This then means that they cannot be grown, as they are technically
dead.

But how do I know what has and what has not ??

Irradiated food has to be labelled as such. In addition, only one UK
license has been granted for food irradiation and this covers only herbs,
spices and vegetable seasonings. So it's most unlikely that supermarket
produce in the UK has been treated.

Neil.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Neil Tonks" writes:
| "BigSteve" wrote in message
| I am lead to believe that most of the in shell nuts and some fruit are
| irradiated that you buy from shops.
|
| This then means that they cannot be grown, as they are technically
| dead.
|
| But how do I know what has and what has not ??
|
| Irradiated food has to be labelled as such. In addition, only one UK
| license has been granted for food irradiation and this covers only herbs,
| spices and vegetable seasonings. So it's most unlikely that supermarket
| produce in the UK has been treated.

I think that you will find that the requirements for labelling have been
deliberately made so full of loopholes that such labels are unreliable.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Neil Tonks" writes:
| "BigSteve" wrote in message
| I am lead to believe that most of the in shell nuts and some fruit are
| irradiated that you buy from shops.

I used to work for the company that imports, packages and distributes
nuts to all the major supermarkets. They are NOT irradiated. The
company is too mean and only provides (just within the law) machinery
for its production line.

JanieB

if you can grow them there yo can grow them anywhere! Jonno[_13_] Australia 0 21-09-2007 01:13 AM
vegetable shelf life? in supermarkets len gardener Australia 18 24-03-2004 08:26 AM
vegetable shelf life? in supermarkets len gardener Australia 0 08-03-2004 07:38 PM
Old bulbs in supermarkets Lazarus Cooke United Kingdom 12 16-01-2004 08:21 PM
UK Supermarkets maintain strict GM-free policy for 2003 Marcus Williamson sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 12:29 PM