Old 06-11-2006, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My grass needs cutting, buts its too wet. What can I do ???

My grass needs cutting, buts its too wet. Lawnmower wheels just sink
into the soil and skid marks are left round corners.

What can I do ???

Or better still

How can I do it ??
Old 06-11-2006, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 08:53:07 GMT, stevesmith
wrote:

My grass needs cutting, buts its too wet. Lawnmower wheels just sink
into the soil and skid marks are left round corners.

What can I do ???

Buy a hover mower.

And an RCD (Earth leakage circuit breaker) if it's a mains powered one, to
avoid electrocuting yourself if you cut the cable!

Old 06-11-2006, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , stevesmith
wrote:

My grass needs cutting, buts its too wet. Lawnmower wheels just sink
into the soil and skid marks are left round corners.

What can I do ???

Or better still

How can I do it ??

Depending on your acreage and budget, one of these:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...d-Jackson-Razo
rsharp-Garden-Scythette-305mm-Blade-890mm-Handle

or one of these:

http://www.mower-magic.co.uk/acatalo..._Trimmers.html
Old 06-11-2006, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

wrote:

My grass needs cutting, buts its too wet. Lawnmower wheels just
sink into the soil and skid marks are left round corners.

What can I do ???

Buy a hover mower.

And an RCD (Earth leakage circuit breaker) if it's a mains powered
one, to avoid electrocuting yourself if you cut the cable!

Yes and buy a Qualcast mower, (now Bosch owned?), with a plastic
blade and it won't cut the cable, nor will it eat the toe cap of
shoes. The Flymo mower with a steel blade that we had did both.

My earlier flymo had the option of a plastic blade or a steel blade.
Unfortunately the plastic blade was completely useless, so the steel blade
was installed. My current flymo also (now) has a steel blade (and I have an
RCD). However, I have little doubt that true lawn enthusiasts would never
consider a hover mower. Cylinder mowers do a much better job in terms of a
perfect lawn. Hovers are better for occasional gardeners!

--

John

Old 06-11-2006, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yeh but I think I want a petrol one, as the lawn is quite big.

Is there one that bags as the electric ones do.

I really could do with the nice stripes on the lawn.

Buy a hover mower.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stevesmith" wrote in message
Yeh but I think I want a petrol one, as the lawn is quite big.

Is there one that bags as the electric ones do.

I really could do with the nice stripes on the lawn.

You need a petrol driven cylinder mover with a big cut width of about 24".
No wheels just rollers which don't dig into the lawn . My preference are the
ones that can be used as a walk behind mover, with the option of attaching a
sit on gantry such as the Atco Royale B30E Sit-on Cylinder Lawn Mower .
There is/was an equivalent Honda machine which was what I used prior to
moving to a lawn free environment.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 16:33:41 GMT
stevesmith wrote:

Yeh but I think I want a petrol one, as the lawn is quite big.

Is there one that bags as the electric ones do.

I really could do with the nice stripes on the lawn.

Countax can cut in the wet, and has a sweeper-roller so you get
stripes. Mine is currently on the blink but by and large it has
been a good machine: cuts well in very high or thick grass, doesn't
mind the wet. www.countax.co.uk. Only worth it for a large surface
of course.

-E

Buy a hover mower.

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 07-11-2006, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 14:04:13 +0100, Emery Davis
wrote and included this (or some of this):

Countax can cut in the wet, and has a sweeper-roller so you get
stripes. Mine is currently on the blink but by and large it has
been a good machine: cuts well in very high or thick grass, doesn't
mind the wet. www.countax.co.uk. Only worth it for a large surface
of course.

Outrageous of course, but I have found many times in past winters when
the grass is soaking wet and too long, I've waited for a really heavy
frost and gone over the grass with a fly-mo. You don't churn up the
mud, you don't sink in up to your ankles and it has never seemed to do
the grass any harm.

Now on my golf course, well, not mine, but my club, they don't
actually cut during frosts but we do use the greens all year round and
they are cut frequently all year round. And they're good.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

Old 09-11-2006, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
In article , stevesmith
wrote:

My grass needs cutting, buts its too wet. Lawnmower wheels just sink
into the soil and skid marks are left round corners.

What can I do ???

Or better still

How can I do it ??

Depending on your acreage and budget, one of these:

Buy some sheep?

--

Regards
p.mc

Wet, wet, wet David Hill United Kingdom 54 22-12-2012 03:28 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet Dave Hill United Kingdom 3 21-11-2011 11:14 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jadene Mayla Lawns 0 27-06-2011 08:27 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jess Lawns 0 24-04-2011 04:08 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet David Hill United Kingdom 16 06-02-2004 03:49 PM