Old 14-11-2006, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Autumn

When the leaves lose their green and fall in Autumn, where does the
chlorophyll go?

Steve

http://www.easynn.com
Old 14-11-2006, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
When the leaves lose their green and fall in Autumn, where does the
chlorophyll go?

I think it just breaks down (and the bits get recycled and moved out of the
leaves).
During the growing season, it gets replished contstantly to replace
chlorophyl that breaks down.
When Autumn comes, it is not made any more and what is there breaks down.

Steve

http://www.easynn.com

Old 14-11-2006, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
When the leaves lose their green and fall in Autumn, where does the
chlorophyll go?
Steve
http://www.easynn.com

It breaks down in sunlight........:
http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/chemweek.../fallcolr.html
http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa082602a.htm
Jenny

Old 14-11-2006, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 17:20:42 +0100, "JennyC"
wrote:

It breaks down in sunlight........:
http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/chemweek.../fallcolr.html

Thanks. That explains the Autumn colours well. What about evergreens,
why don't they lose chlorophyll?

http://www.easynn.com
Old 14-11-2006, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

writes
wrote:

It breaks down in sunlight........:
http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/chemweek.../fallcolr.html

Thanks. That explains the Autumn colours well. What about evergreens,
why don't they lose chlorophyll?

Presumably because they continue to synthesise it all year round,
whereas deciduous trees stop replacing it prior to leaf drop. However
I've seen another reference which suggests that the breakdown of
chlorophyll is a result of reaction of the plant to the shorter days in
'sealing off' the leaf with a corky layer so that the normal circulation
no longer reaches it. This doesn't happen on a seasonal basis with
evergreens, and so they would retain their chlorophyll.

Evergreens do lose the green colour in leaves that they are about to
shed.
--
Kay

Old 14-11-2006, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

It breaks down in sunlight........:
http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/chemweek.../fallcolr.html

Thanks. That explains the Autumn colours well. What about evergreens,
why don't they lose chlorophyll?

http://www.easynn.com

You know I've never thought about that !!!!!!!!!
You've started me of now............

The evergreens-pines, spruces, cedars, firs, and so on-are able to survive
winter because they have toughened up. Their needle-like or scale-like
foliage is covered with a heavy wax coating and the fluid inside their cells
contains substances that resist freezing. Thus the foliage of evergreens can
safely withstand all but the severest winter conditions, such as those in
the Arctic. Evergreen needles survive for some years but eventually fall
because of old age.
(http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/mi...ves/leaves.htm)

and some more...........
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...0/bot00200.htm
http://www.ccmr.cornell.edu/educatio....html?quid=983

Jenny

Old 14-11-2006, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 14, 10:55 am, wrote:
When the leaves lose their green and fall in Autumn, where does the
chlorophyll go?

Steve

EasyNN-plus. The easy way to build neural networks.http://www.easynn.com

The changes in colour are due to the breakdown on the chlorophyl, the
tree has shut off all nutrients to the leaf, and what chlorophyl there
is there breaks down. It's like a bruise on your skin, starts of the
colour of blood, but the blood breaks down and the bruise changes
colour. Chlorophyl is of a similar chemical construction to blood.

Old 15-11-2006, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 Mike in Spain wrote:

When the leaves lose their green and fall in Autumn, where does the
chlorophyll go?

EasyNN-plus. The easy way to build neural networks.http://www.easynn.com

The changes in colour are due to the breakdown on the chlorophyl, the
tree has shut off all nutrients to the leaf, and what chlorophyl there
is there breaks down. It's like a bruise on your skin, starts of the
colour of blood, but the blood breaks down and the bruise changes
colour. Chlorophyl is of a similar chemical construction to blood.

Overnight the leaves on the trees around here went yellow. Most
noticeable was a linden tree next door. Yesterday, no sign of leaves
dying. This morning the leaves are bright yellow!

I've never known it happen this quickly before. Is it something to do
with the lateness of leaf fall this year, I wonder?

David
--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 15-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rance

Overnight the leaves on the trees around here went yellow. Most
noticeable was a linden tree next door. Yesterday, no sign of leaves
dying. This morning the leaves are bright yellow!

I've never known it happen this quickly before. Is it something to do
with the lateness of leaf fall this year, I wonder?
I suspect it's the strange weather we've been having: I've noticed the same thing in my own garden and in some clients' gardens.

The acers were the worst - instead of the usual autumn glory, I've been seeing weeks of gradual browning, one day of red (or orange) and then whoop! off they drop.

Anyone else?
__________________
www.Rachel-The-Gardener.co.uk (still building website, don't expect too much!)
Jobbing Gardener, South Oxfordshire
Living Willow Sculptures and Plant Sales
Old 15-11-2006, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rachel Aitch
writes

David Rance Wrote:

Overnight the leaves on the trees around here went yellow. Most
noticeable was a linden tree next door. Yesterday, no sign of leaves
dying. This morning the leaves are bright yellow!

I've never known it happen this quickly before. Is it something to do
with the lateness of leaf fall this year, I wonder?

I suspect it's the strange weather we've been having: I've noticed the
same thing in my own garden and in some clients' gardens.

The acers were the worst - instead of the usual autumn glory, I've been
seeing weeks of gradual browning, one day of red (or orange) and then
whoop! off they drop.

Anyone else?

Everything seems to be going yellow this neck of the woods this year -
no red in site. Even Acer cappadocicum, which usually shows some red,
and Fagus sylvatica (beech), which usually shows some russet, are
yellow.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 15-11-2006, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rachel Aitch" wrote in message

David Rance Wrote:

Overnight the leaves on the trees around here went yellow. Most
noticeable was a linden tree next door. Yesterday, no sign of leaves
dying. This morning the leaves are bright yellow!

I've never known it happen this quickly before. Is it something to do
with the lateness of leaf fall this year, I wonder?

I suspect it's the strange weather we've been having: I've noticed the
same thing in my own garden and in some clients' gardens.

The acers were the worst - instead of the usual autumn glory, I've been
seeing weeks of gradual browning, one day of red (or orange) and then
whoop! off they drop.

Anyone else?

--
Rachel Aitch

It was worse for me last year. Autumn tints were just coming and then a
heavy cold night and the lot just hung from the branches in limp crinkled
masses. It was very noticeable on the Acers. This year,so far, I've got a
rapidly developing scarlet colour on Acer Osazuki -let's hope it lasts.

Old 16-11-2006, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Rance Wrote:

Overnight the leaves on the trees around here went yellow. Most
noticeable was a linden tree next door. Yesterday, no sign of leaves
dying. This morning the leaves are bright yellow!

I've never known it happen this quickly before. Is it something to do
with the lateness of leaf fall this year, I wonder?

I suspect it's the strange weather we've been having: I've noticed the
same thing in my own garden and in some clients' gardens.

The acers were the worst - instead of the usual autumn glory, I've been
seeing weeks of gradual browning, one day of red (or orange) and then
whoop! off they drop.

Anyone else?

Yep, everything has gone yellow round here (suburbs of Glasgow) except the
oaks which have produced tonnes of acorns, but are still as green as they
were in midsummer. No colour change at all.

--
Tips for Evil Cult Members:
117. Never play strip Tarot.