Old 22-11-2006, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default house plants for shade

Can anyone recommend a houseplant that will survive on a stairs landing that
has very little natural light? I know it's a tall order but I really don't
want to have to resort to artificial plants

Old 22-11-2006, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jewlssss" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a houseplant that will survive on a stairs landing

that
has very little natural light? I know it's a tall order but I really don't
want to have to resort to artificial plants

Kentia palm would do. It's often used in offices and call centres where it
gets virtually zero natural light. Or a Christmas Cactus would do too. You
get the benefit of flowers with those. Or some sort of fern?
--
Tips for Evil Cult Members:
117. Never play strip Tarot.

Old 22-11-2006, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jewlssss wrote:
Can anyone recommend a houseplant that will survive on a stairs landing that
has very little natural light? I know it's a tall order but I really don't
want to have to resort to artificial plants

This site is wonderful. I've refered to it to create a wall of plant
for our office. We have a few Peace Lilly which tolerate relative dark
corners and the Herringbone plant look fabulous with its red/pink
veins.

http://www.houseofplants.co.uk/indexofplants.htm

Old 22-11-2006, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Jewlssss" wrote:

Can anyone recommend a houseplant that will survive on a stairs landing that
has very little natural light? I know it's a tall order but I really don't
want to have to resort to artificial plants

aspidistra elatior obviously
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspidistra
Old 22-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewlssss
Can anyone recommend a houseplant that will survive on a stairs landing that
has very little natural light?
Hi Jewlssss,

I'd suggest Peace Lily, or Spathiphyllum: available from places like B&Q or Homebase, they like it very shady. I have some that have been down the back of the settee for about two years (really must find a home for them)and they're lush!

You'll recognise one when you see it - big leaves on long stalks, and white flowers, usually appearing singly, on a stiff upright stem. A big favourite with interior designers at the moment, very trendy in matte black vases, apparently.

All they need is very low light, reasonable warmth (a normal centrally heated house would be fine) and not too much water. I let mine get quite dry, then I flood them. They seem to respond well. Think "rainforest" and you'll be fine.

Good luck!
__________________
www.Rachel-The-Gardener.co.uk (still building website, don't expect too much!)
Jobbing Gardener, South Oxfordshire
Living Willow Sculptures and Plant Sales

Old 23-11-2006, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jewlssss" asked:
Can anyone recommend a houseplant that will survive on a stairs landing
that has very little natural light? I know it's a tall order but I really
don't want to have to resort to artificial plants.

---
My friend has a Ludisia 'Jewel Orchid' happily growing in a very shady area
of the house. It seems that Ludisias grow best in shade and will even
tolerate deep shade. If looked after properly, they get bigger and bigger,
year after year, *and* don't mind their root growth being restricted. It is
not to be found in any of my gardening books, but a quick Google search
found lots of info.

Mike CT

Old 24-11-2006, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/11/06 12:06, in article
, "Jewlssss"
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a houseplant that will survive on a stairs landing that
has very little natural light? I know it's a tall order but I really don't
want to have to resort to artificial plants

Streptocarpus will take a fair amount of shade - not total, though.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk