Old 03-12-2006, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wild weather (again)

Hi
Braved the torrential rain and gusts of wind to visit the allotment
this afternoon. The top half had puddles of water (the rest is on a
slope ) AND my recently planted onions, which have grown quite a bit
were waving at me from the puddles
Now as a new allotmenteer - I'm a tad worried - do they stand a chance
of rotting or will they be OK?
Battenning down the Hatches in Cumbria...
LW

Old 04-12-2006, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/12/06 11:54, in article , "Sacha"
wrote:

On 4/12/06 10:44, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 3/12/06 21:56, in article
, "Little Weed"
wrote:

Hi
Braved the torrential rain and gusts of wind to visit the allotment
this afternoon. The top half had puddles of water (the rest is on a
slope ) AND my recently planted onions, which have grown quite a bit
were waving at me from the puddles
Now as a new allotmenteer - I'm a tad worried - do they stand a chance
of rotting or will they be OK?
Battenning down the Hatches in Cumbria...
LW

All I'm going to say to that, is that one wet year in Jersey, farmers I knew
who had côtils - steep but cultivable slopes - planted their seed potatoes
three times...... To be honest, there's not a lot you can do either way,
is there?

From wild last night to mild this morning here in North Staffordshire a
beautiful sunny day.

Grey and still windy here but much less wind than before. The photos on
this morning's Western Morning News of the sailing yachts thrown around in
the marina in Plymouth had a certain irony - the boat most prominently
featured was called Maverick!

I spoke too soon - the wind is back with a vengeance, the rain is hurling
down and it's absolutely vile. ;-(

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-12-2006, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

:
[...]
: From wild last night to mild this morning here in North Staffordshire a
: beautiful sunny day.
:
: Grey and still windy here but much less wind than before. The photos on
: this morning's Western Morning News of the sailing yachts thrown around
in
: the marina in Plymouth had a certain irony - the boat most prominently
: featured was called Maverick!
:
: I spoke too soon - the wind is back with a vengeance, the rain is hurling
: down and it's absolutely vile. ;-(
:
Just been across to Whitsands and the roof of 'The View' cafe on the main
cliff road has been torn off completely

Old 04-12-2006, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Little Weed wrote:
Hi
Braved the torrential rain and gusts of wind to visit the allotment
this afternoon. The top half had puddles of water (the rest is on a
slope ) AND my recently planted onions, which have grown quite a bit
were waving at me from the puddles
Now as a new allotmenteer - I'm a tad worried - do they stand a chance
of rotting or will they be OK?
Battenning down the Hatches in Cumbria...

Ohhhh.... I feel for you. But there you have it, as a new allotmenteer
you'll do things differently next year and perhaps that spot where your
onions are will be best raised slightly (by adding some good old OM
without disturbing the ground too much) and hopefully a good drainage
will be established. And next year's onions will be somewhere else, in
a perfect spot that you'll have identified as being drainage perfect,
soil not too compacted and you'll avoid this year's worries )

You'll probably loose some, but not all I hope.

32 Wild Africana Again Wendy7 Orchid Photos 0 21-03-2007 01:31 AM
Wild weather Sacha United Kingdom 5 05-12-2006 07:40 AM
Wild wild rocket Mike Lyle United Kingdom 28 01-08-2004 09:51 PM
Steveo Spanked Again - Was: rat does the tard dance...again Aratzio Lawns 35 10-07-2004 01:02 AM