Old 20-12-2006, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cold night

-2C here last night. Mercifully there's no wind but my goodness, it's cold!
Frost is still lying in one or two parts of the garden which haven't felt
the sun of a glorious winter's day. Tonight, the temperature is falling
like a stone and after a trip to the chiropractor for both of us, the cold
almost undid all the good he'd done to our creaky spines.
Yesterday morning, Ray looked out of our bedroom window at about 7.30am and
exclaimed at the extraordinary sight of what looked like a bright red light
shining some distance away. It was almost fluorescent. It was only after a
few moments observation that we realised it was the sun. We've never seen
anything quite like it and in mediaeval times, I think it would have been a
portent, though of what, I don't know. When I did the well worn "red sky in
the morning..." Ray chipped in with "shepherd's cottage on fire"! Last week
we woke up to a sunrise that was pink right across the sky, looking exactly
like a sunset. The times they are a-changing!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-12-2006, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Just spent a wonderful month cruising around the Canaries, Madeira and into
the Med down to Egypt etc etc etc and when we were in Kusadasi Turkey, we
saw a wonderful sunset and many photos were taken. Regret they are on a
'subscribed only' website otherwise I could have given you a link.

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 20-12-2006, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Well it looks like we might even get a touch of frost as well tonight...

'dashed inconvenient' as we still have geranium / pelars' in flower on the
patio - and the rhubarb has started to come up (outside uncovered)!

Keith
Portland - 'out in the sea'

Old 20-12-2006, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/12/06 18:55, in article , "Keith
(Dorset)" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I'd take them all in or cover them with fleece or newspaper. Touch of
frost, indeed. Pah! ;-)

Old 20-12-2006, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 17:37:26 +0000, Sacha wrote:

[...]

*******************************
"Red sky in the morning shepherds' warning" I took this at about 8pm
looking out of my office window. I must admit it gave me the shudders and
I wondered what it could possibly be a warning of as you said. It comes
down the the edge of the garden brrr.
http://www.walk-wales.org.uk/morningfire.html
*************************************888

Old 20-12-2006, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

(Dorset)" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

First white lawn last night and tonight it feels colder so I have drained
the mist unit and switched on the second heat mat (forgot last year and it
cost me a small fortune to replace all the damaged bits!) Hope my newly
germinate grass seed will be ok, teach me to be complacent :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 20-12-2006, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/12/06 19:26, in article
, "Welsh Witch"
wrote:

[...]

Gorgeous photo, though.

Old 20-12-2006, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
[...]

My friend over and down? in Bournemouth said tonight that there was a
LOT of frost on everything as he was going to the internet cafe. And he
mentioned that it was also "bloody cold"...........over here...errrrr,
ummm, it got up to 70o F, but there is currently a HUGE winter blizzard
slamming Denver and moving through the plains states headed for me here
on the eastern edge. Not sure if that means rain for me or what. The
day was warm enough that I actually had a tank top, sandals and jeans on
to go down the long driveway to the mailbox today. It was surreal. I'd
not be surprised to find at least THUNDERSTORMS here by the time the
weather moves into the region. I hope everyone is geared up for
Solstice.....I'm more pumped this year about that than the actual
approach of Christmas. But having said that........I just got a most
awesome package from said previously mentioned friend in Bournemouth who
sent me Nettle tea, Fennel tea, Twinings Rhubarb & Blackberry tea and
Echinacea & Raspberry tea.....awesome! (I'm easy to please.........) he
also sent me 8 music cd's he's been agonizing over for weeks to send me.
I'm in hopes to write some wintery but out of season rambles based on
the pictures I've taken of the gardens this past spring and summer and
didn't write about at all due to being very distracted. Bad health has
kicked me butt, but I am slowly and agonizingly healing up, with set
backs of physicality's and more infections, from whence I know not where
they come from..................OLD AGE AIN'T FOR SISSIES~
madgardener up on the ridge back in a cold fairy holler, overlooking
English Mountain
Old 21-12-2006, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Welsh Witch" wrote in message
news
[...]

Stunning picture. I think you mean 8am though?

Still, let's not argue over technicalities.

Steve

Old 21-12-2006, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Still no frost!

a bit murky though!

I have some geranium cuttings / plants in the greenhouse so the old ones
(which are very old) can suffer...

Best wishes,

Keith

Old 21-12-2006, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/12/06 23:49, in article ,
"madgardener" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
-2C here last night. Mercifully there's no wind but my goodness, it's cold!
Frost is still lying in one or two parts of the garden which haven't felt
the sun of a glorious winter's day.snip

I'm in hopes to write some wintery but out of season rambles based on
the pictures I've taken of the gardens this past spring and summer and
didn't write about at all due to being very distracted. Bad health has
kicked me butt, but I am slowly and agonizingly healing up, with set
backs of physicality's and more infections, from whence I know not where
they come from..................OLD AGE AIN'T FOR SISSIES~
madgardener up on the ridge back in a cold fairy holler, overlooking
English Mountain

No blizzards in this part of UK, or anywhere else for that matter but LOTS
of fog and many delayed flights for Christmas travellers. Today we have an
even heavier frost and thin ice on one of the shadier ponds. But it's
bright and sunny and quite beautiful. I can bear this easily but heaven
preserve me from the low cloudy skies of a Dartmoor 'clag'.
Hope you're better soon, Maddie and that Christmas is good.

Old 21-12-2006, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"madgardener" wrote in message

snip

My friend over and down? in Bournemouth said tonight that there was a LOT
of frost on everything as he was going to the internet cafe. And he
mentioned that it was also "bloody cold"...........

That's where I am. Your friend is truthing.

Steve

Old 21-12-2006, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:29:40 +0000, shazzbat wrote:

[...]

*************************
Yeah right...What a prat me!...Frightened me to death really looked like
blood and fire flowing all over the sky. My first thought was 7/7 but
nothing happened like that in this country although our poor soldiers
probably see such every day
************************

Old 21-12-2006, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/12/06 16:39, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip
No blizzards in this part of UK, or anywhere else for that matter but LOTS
of fog

It's the fog bit that bothers me, all we have here is a bit of a mist, but
a large number of motorists have their headlights and fog lights on!

My concern is that there wlll be a number of car crashes in this appalling
fog which does not, however, seem to be affecting this part of the country
in our microclimate fashion. With railways not running - I do wonder which
genius figured out that a potential passenger bonanza was a good time to
shut down the trains - the road travellers will be increased considerably
and in bad fog it doesn't bear thinking about. This is not going to be a
good time for road travellers, the police, the firemen or the ambulance
crews.

and many delayed flights for Christmas travellers.

As one who lives under the flight path of Heathrow, that is welcome news!

But did you move there before the airport was built? ;-))

Ir is rather cold though, and we have had a couple of mornings of frost.

We have never seen the glass as far as it is tonight in the Very Dry
direction.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Cold night ahead? Sacha[_11_] United Kingdom 8 14-11-2013 02:57 PM
Cold, Cold, Cold Dave Hill United Kingdom 18 12-12-2010 01:29 PM
Cold night? Sacha United Kingdom 6 15-03-2007 08:52 AM
[IBC] cold cold in the north Andre Slivitzly Bonsai 0 15-01-2004 02:32 PM