Old 08-11-2013, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cold night ahead?

It's been another lovely sunset, though not as spectacular as last
night's. But from a very clear, cold sky we are now seeing the arrival
of some very dark clouds, apparently from two different directions! One
layer - the blackest - is well below the other. Apparently it was 4C
here early this morning.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-11-2013, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-08 19:19:21 +0000, Jake said:

On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 17:58:50 +0000, Sacha

On 2013-11-08 17:24:23 +0000, Roger Tonkin said:

In article ,
says...

It's been another lovely sunset, though not as spectacular as last
night's. But from a very clear, cold sky we are now seeing the arrival
of some very dark clouds, apparently from two different directions! One
layer - the blackest - is well below the other. Apparently it was 4C
here early this morning.

Sitting here I can see a lovely clear cresent (plus a
bit) moon in the sky with no clouds near by (too dark
to see further) Temp was down to 5 when I put the car
away at 4.00pm. Had pouring rain all day, so dry and
cold is welcome here (inside the house!)

Well, dry inside the house is always good. We're having a "can't make
its mind up evening". The black cloud dumped a lot of rain and wind and
moved away and clear, crisp sky returned. Now it's pitch dark and very
still. Later, I'll look for stars and shiver!

Well, I suppose the plus-point of a touch of frost will be that it'll
finally kill off the summer bedding and give me an excuse to lift it
and get the spring stuff in the ground! Will be an almost welcome
change from dead-heading geraniums in November!

There's a certain charming perversity in that, Jake!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-11-2013, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-08 19:19:21 +0000, Jake said:

Well, I suppose the plus-point of a touch of frost will be that it'll
finally kill off the summer bedding and give me an excuse to lift it
and get the spring stuff in the ground! Will be an almost welcome
change from dead-heading geraniums in November!

There's a certain charming perversity in that, Jake!

Well, despite the forecasts. here I am a week later, still deadheading
geraniums, picking the odd strawberry and unable to steel myself to
lift a bed of begonias that are still flowering their little socks
off.

OTOH, the spring bedding, which is in an unheated greenhouse, has
stopped growing so will probably stand the delay.

Cold last night but no frost and a little rain. But it's blue, bright
and breezy now. I see the forecast is for very cold weather early next
week. Yippee! ;-(
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-11-2013, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-08 19:19:21 +0000, Jake said:

Well, I suppose the plus-point of a touch of frost will be that it'll
finally kill off the summer bedding and give me an excuse to lift it
and get the spring stuff in the ground! Will be an almost welcome
change from dead-heading geraniums in November!

There's a certain charming perversity in that, Jake!

Well, despite the forecasts. here I am a week later, still deadheading
geraniums, picking the odd strawberry and unable to steel myself to
lift a bed of begonias that are still flowering their little socks
off.

OTOH, the spring bedding, which is in an unheated greenhouse, has
stopped growing so will probably stand the delay.

Cold last night but no frost and a little rain. But it's blue, bright
and breezy now. I see the forecast is for very cold weather early next
week. Yippee! ;-(

There's been a couple of ground frosts here so far - this night should
see more of one, with clear skies, little wind, and air temperatures
down to 2C - I'll have to see about moving the Abutilons indoors.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 14-11-2013, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-08 19:19:21 +0000, Jake said:

Well, I suppose the plus-point of a touch of frost will be that it'll
finally kill off the summer bedding and give me an excuse to lift it
and get the spring stuff in the ground! Will be an almost welcome
change from dead-heading geraniums in November!

There's a certain charming perversity in that, Jake!

Well, despite the forecasts. here I am a week later, still deadheading
geraniums, picking the odd strawberry and unable to steel myself to
lift a bed of begonias that are still flowering their little socks
off.

OTOH, the spring bedding, which is in an unheated greenhouse, has
stopped growing so will probably stand the delay.

Cold last night but no frost and a little rain. But it's blue, bright
and breezy now. I see the forecast is for very cold weather early next
week. Yippee! ;-(

No thanks.
The D. Imperialis and D. Tenuicaulis are both well budded and with luck
will flower well if we don't get hard frosts.
David

Cold, Cold, Cold Dave Hill United Kingdom 18 12-12-2010 01:29 PM
Cold night? Sacha United Kingdom 6 15-03-2007 08:52 AM
Cold night Sacha United Kingdom 18 22-12-2006 03:21 PM
Napolitano's hints place forest care ahead of partisan issues Aozotorp alt.forestry 0 07-12-2002 01:31 PM