Old 29-11-2006, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Sprouting unplanted garlic

Should I cut the long roots before planting them? It's too hard to
spread all the roots while planting them. If the tops are too long
should I cut them too? The tops are good eating but I've never tried
the roots.

Old 29-11-2006, 02:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Maybe I don't understand your question, but when I plant garlic, I separate
the cloves in the head, and plant them individually with the points up. I
put them nearly an inch deep. If there are roots remaining on each clove, I
plant them also.

Dwayne

ps.com...

Old 29-11-2006, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:
Should I cut the long roots before planting them? It's too hard to
spread all the roots while planting them. If the tops are too long
should I cut them too? The tops are good eating but I've never tried
the roots.

Not quite sure I understand either. (It's been a long day
and I didn't feel like fixing the top posting response to
this. Gawd folks, please bottom post as per usenet norms
that have been in place for years, top posting sux)

Break the head of garlic into the "toes", plant the root
side down. Done.
--
Steve
Old 29-11-2006, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

While sitting around waiting to be planted, the garlic have 7" of green
growth and roots that long. They are not in the ground or in soil.
Some of the cloves have seperated by themselves.

Obviously you guys don't have the experience or you would know what I
was talking about.

Old 29-11-2006, 09:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:

While sitting around waiting to be planted, the garlic have 7" of green
growth and roots that long. They are not in the ground or in soil.
Some of the cloves have seperated by themselves.

Obviously you guys don't have the experience or you would know what I
was talking about.

The responses already given make perfect sense to me, but to repeat...

You separate the cloves - regarless of any growth that may have
occurred while they have been sitting around - plant them individually,
root down, green growth up. I, personally, wouldn't trim the roots
before planting, though a little probably wouldn't hurt.
But, tbh, I would think, with seven inches of green growth, they might
be past their best for planting and maybe you should get some fresh
bulbs?

Does that answer your question?

Gilly

Old 29-11-2006, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article . com,
"James" wrote:

While sitting around waiting to be planted, the garlic have 7" of green
growth and roots that long. They are not in the ground or in soil.
Some of the cloves have seperated by themselves.

Obviously you guys don't have the experience or you would know what I
was talking about.

I do understand actually as I sprout my garlic too prior to planting it.
I get better success that way.

Don't trim anything at all! Just dig...... and don't worry about binding
the roots a bit. It won't hurt them.

Do NOT trim the sprout top!!!!!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 29-11-2006, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"James" wrote:

Obviously you guys don't have the experience or you would know what I
was talking about.

Maybe most of us don't let our garlic get that far gone and use known
varieties for planting stock.

See my spreadsheet for details, in the .sig.

BTW, cheap shots at the people who are trying to help you is
doubleplusungood.

Old 29-11-2006, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:

I do understand actually as I sprout my garlic too prior to planting it.
I get better success that way.

And a sort of followup to Om's post: We northern gardeners generally don't
want the garlic to sprout before (fall) planting, because the shoots will
likely get damaged in the winter. The cloves will usually survive, but
they've lost some of the "early start" energy.

In east-central NY (near Albany), I've still got bok choi in the garden,
though Bambi likes it too!

Old 29-11-2006, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:
While sitting around waiting to be planted, the garlic have 7" of green
growth and roots that long. They are not in the ground or in soil.
Some of the cloves have seperated by themselves.

Obviously you guys don't have the experience or you would know what I
was talking about.

Well James. People here probably have forgotten more than
you'll ever know considering your BS attitude. If you're so
f'ing smart, why ask here?

We know what we're talking about, you obviously just don't
know how to take advice.

--
Steve
Old 29-11-2006, 10:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Calvin wrote:

James wrote:
While sitting around waiting to be planted, the garlic have 7" of green
growth and roots that long. They are not in the ground or in soil.
Some of the cloves have seperated by themselves.

Obviously you guys don't have the experience or you would know what I
was talking about.

Well James. People here probably have forgotten more than
you'll ever know considering your BS attitude. If you're so
f'ing smart, why ask here?

We know what we're talking about, you obviously just don't
know how to take advice.

--
Steve

Guys

Thanks for the information on the garlic, didnt know it could be such a
fiesty subject!!

Cheers

Barbara
www.all-about-tomatoes.com

Old 30-11-2006, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Some people here (not including you) do have useful advice. Obviously
your previous message shows that you got out the wrong side of the bed.
If it makes you feel any better, let me thank you for some usless
advice. Also I prefer top posting because it get you to the latest
comment. Of course if you just join the conversation, bottom posting
is great.

Now since Gary Woods also metioned my attitude, I guess I was a little
rude. However it does not make you right for not bothering to answer
the question but just to prove you know how to plant a garlic.

Old 30-11-2006, 12:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I planted these garlic years ago and my planting stock is from my
harvest. It's been pretty mild this year so I didn't get rid of my
tomatoes till recently. I've planted over 100 cloves and rounds and
still have garlic left over. Maybe I'll just have a garlic roast with
some of what's left. The rest of the sprouts I'll treat as cut and
come again for just good eating. Elephant garlic might not be your
favorite but I like because they're mild and big cloves are easy to
handle.

Old 30-11-2006, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:
Some people here (not including you) do have useful advice. Obviously
your previous message shows that you got out the wrong side of the bed.
If it makes you feel any better, let me thank you for some usless
advice. Also I prefer top posting because it get you to the latest
comment. Of course if you just join the conversation, bottom posting
is great.

Ya know, you're just being an a-hole. I, and others gave
sound advice. You don't like it or don't want to hear it,
fine. GTFO

And as a disrespectful a-hole who TOP-POSTS?!? Welcome to my
filters bucko

--
Steve
Old 30-11-2006, 03:17 AM
Registered User

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Calvin
James wrote:
Some people here (not including you) do have useful advice. Obviously
your previous message shows that you got out the wrong side of the bed.
If it makes you feel any better, let me thank you for some usless
advice. Also I prefer top posting because it get you to the latest
comment. Of course if you just join the conversation, bottom posting
is great.

Ya know, you're just being an a-hole. I, and others gave
sound advice. You don't like it or don't want to hear it,
fine. GTFO

And as a disrespectful a-hole who TOP-POSTS?!? Welcome to my
filters bucko

--
Steve
james if u had already planted garlic before can i ask why u are asking
ppl here what to do with it.
when i first read your posting i also was wondering what u were talking
about and i do know about garlic so it would have made sense to me.
u didnt even mention in your what u were posting about if there wasnt
a title to the posting and someone were to read what u had said they
would go "what the .... is this person talking about".
so please rethink about how u are answering those that are trying to help u.
cyaaaaa, sockiescat.