Old 11-03-2006, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Draven

Default Chestnut Regal advice

Just got my Chestnut tree can anyone give me advise on it?

Old 11-03-2006, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"Draven" wrote in message
o.uk...
Just got my Chestnut tree can anyone give me advise on it?

Plant it.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

shazzbat wrote:
"Draven" wrote in message
o.uk...
Just got my Chestnut tree can anyone give me advise on it?

Plant it.

Yes: it'll soon be too late, as trees generally need to go in before
they start into spring growth -- but it's probably growing in a
container, so that doesn't matter so much. I didn't know anything about
the tree, so I went to Plant Finder, and they don't seem to know about
your "Regal" variety, either. I'm assuming you mean it when you say
"chestnut": if so, it wants an open sunny position. You'll be lucky if
you get any worthwhile nuts in cooler parts of these islands.

If it's only a horse-chestnut, the book says it can take partial shade.

--
Mike.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Draven

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
shazzbat wrote:
"Draven" wrote in message
o.uk...
Just got my Chestnut tree can anyone give me advise on it?

Plant it.

Yes: it'll soon be too late, as trees generally need to go in before
they start into spring growth -- but it's probably growing in a
container, so that doesn't matter so much. I didn't know anything about
the tree, so I went to Plant Finder, and they don't seem to know about
your "Regal" variety, either. I'm assuming you mean it when you say
"chestnut": if so, it wants an open sunny position. You'll be lucky if
you get any worthwhile nuts in cooler parts of these islands.

If it's only a horse-chestnut, the book says it can take partial shade.

--
Mike.

Mike,
I got mine from http://www.dobies.co.uk/
Look under the nuts section.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
shazzbat wrote:
"Draven" wrote in message
o.uk...
Just got my Chestnut tree can anyone give me advise on it?

Plant it.

Yes: it'll soon be too late, as trees generally need to go in before
they start into spring growth -- but it's probably growing in a
container, so that doesn't matter so much. I didn't know anything about
the tree, so I went to Plant Finder, and they don't seem to know about
your "Regal" variety, either. I'm assuming you mean it when you say
"chestnut": if so, it wants an open sunny position. You'll be lucky if
you get any worthwhile nuts in cooler parts of these islands.

Windsor Great Park and the surrounding area have many sweet chestnuts, which
nearly always produce a good crop.

Alan

Old 12-03-2006, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

You'll be lucky if
you get any worthwhile nuts in cooler parts of these islands.

If it's a sweet chestnut, you should have no trouble getting worthwhile
crops of nuts, though the individual nuts may be a bit smaller than you
anticipate.

There are plenty of fine chestnut trees and woods in East Anglia, and
while recent winters have been nothing like seriously cold,
historically, it was always one of the coldest areas in winter.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-03-2006, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Draven" contains these words:

I got mine from http://www.dobies.co.uk/
Look under the nuts section.

Where you'll find the washers, i hope?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-03-2006, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these
words:

You'll be lucky if
you get any worthwhile nuts in cooler parts of these islands.

If it's a sweet chestnut, you should have no trouble getting
worthwhile crops of nuts, though the individual nuts may be a bit
smaller than you anticipate.

There are plenty of fine chestnut trees and woods in East Anglia, and
while recent winters have been nothing like seriously cold,
historically, it was always one of the coldest areas in winter.

Ah, so it's a matter of summer conditions, then?

--
Mike.

Old 13-03-2006, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these
words:

You'll be lucky if
you get any worthwhile nuts in cooler parts of these islands.

If it's a sweet chestnut, you should have no trouble getting
worthwhile crops of nuts, though the individual nuts may be a bit
smaller than you anticipate.

There are plenty of fine chestnut trees and woods in East Anglia, and
while recent winters have been nothing like seriously cold,
historically, it was always one of the coldest areas in winter.

Ah, so it's a matter of summer conditions, then?

I'd think so - and as (I expect) they're wind-pollinated, cold springs
should have no fears for them. From around 25 years ago I've collected
bags of chestnuts in woods near Norwich, and in the '40s and '50s, when
all sorts of food was in short supply, we used to collect sacks of the
things in Warley Woods in Essex.

In the autumn of 1948 (which followed the notorious winter of that time)
it was a glut year - I remember which year it was because one of my
friends came in his new school uniform, and he went to Felsted the year
before I went to Brentwood. We were disappointed because our respective
parents said we'd got enough - even though there were (literally) tons
more on the ground.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 14-03-2006, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Draven

k...

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
[...]

Well I planted it yesterday and the rain will do it good.
According to the label I might get some chestnuts in two or three years.
I'll keep you all posted.

Old 14-03-2006, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Draven" contains these words:

Well I planted it yesterday and the rain will do it good.
According to the label I might get some chestnuts in two or three years.
I'll keep you all posted.

Good-oh.

They do begin cropping quite young. However, I hope you've left plenty
of room round it - it'll grow to more than forty feet, and I'd put some
of the old'uns in the woods round the south of Norwich nearer sixty.

In the late 'fifties or early 'sixties four Essex Scout districts bought
78 acres of mixed woodland near Brentwood. it was nearly all deciduous,
though one end had some mature Scots pines. The rest of it was what
looked like virgin woodland and areas of old coppicing, neglected since
before the war, and most of the stuff which had been coppiced was sweet
chestnut.

And in the autumn you could smell the nuts roasting on the fires.

Takes me back, innit.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 15-03-2006, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Draven

[...]

The Regal type is stated as growing to 15 foot in 10 years.
The plant has been clearly grafted on to a dwarf rootstock.

I have an Esse 300 multi burner and my own roasted chestnuts in Winter is
why I went for the tree.
You can't beat it.