Old 17-01-2007, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Toads

They're back! I counted 9 out on the path last night for the first
appearance this year. This is *much* earlier than usual for ours.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 17-01-2007, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
They're back! I counted 9 out on the path last night for the first
appearance this year. This is *much* earlier than usual for ours.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

Our toads seem very polite, they wait for the frogs to finish! I think both
may regret being so forward if the "much colder" forecasts turn out true,
mind you the last two days have had bad forecast but have been quite
pleasant down here. I even managed to repair most of the damages from the
last lot of wind. (just in time for the next lot!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 17-01-2007, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/1/07 16:18, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
They're back! I counted 9 out on the path last night for the first
appearance this year. This is *much* earlier than usual for ours.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

Our toads seem very polite, they wait for the frogs to finish! I think both
may regret being so forward if the "much colder" forecasts turn out true,
mind you the last two days have had bad forecast but have been quite
pleasant down here. I even managed to repair most of the damages from the
last lot of wind. (just in time for the next lot!)

Hmmm. Well - I think they're the toads but I don't like to presume and get
too 'up close and personal'. But I saw from last year's diary that our
first glimpse of them was on 8th March last year, so this lot is really
early.
The wind is *just* beginning to sound down the chimney now but I read this
morning that it's expected to be much worse on the East coast - we shall
see....... ;-( Whatever it is and wherever it is, I do hope everyone and
their gardens remain well and safe!

Old 17-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha
They're back! I counted 9 out on the path last night for the first
appearance this year. This is *much* earlier than usual for ours.
Hi Sacha,

I found one poor lonely little toad in my garden last week: first one I've seen here. Maybe he stopped off en route to the canal?

All my frogs have disappeared, which is quite a relief as they lurk on the surface of my pots and make me scream by jumping off at the last possible second as I pick up a pot to check it.

And finally the newts have all gone to bed for the winter!
__________________
www.Rachel-The-Gardener.co.uk (still building website, don't expect too much!)
Jobbing Gardener, South Oxfordshire
Living Willow Sculptures and Plant Sales
Old 17-01-2007, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Frequently the males will overwinter in the ponds and wait for the females,
so far this year i have not seen any activity, and usually by now have seen
frogs in ponds by torchlight, at night.
However, I have seen the newts begin to come back to water. 2 weeks ago.

regards
Cineman

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
They're back! I counted 9 out on the path last night for the first
appearance this year. This is *much* earlier than usual for ours.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

Toads...and the #1 reason i like toads is..... jammer Ponds 2 29-04-2004 12:05 AM
Toads, toads, and more toads.... Szpond Ponds 18 20-06-2003 03:35 PM
Wanted to see tads turn to toads, dang it! jammer Ponds 9 15-06-2003 12:32 AM
Toads Pamcel United Kingdom 4 29-03-2003 11:44 AM
toads in MD [email protected] Ponds 8 11-03-2003 12:48 AM