Old 18-01-2007, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hat With Sunshield For Gardening ?

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
Robert writes:

| Seconded. I have a standard Tilley T5 - fantastic piece of kit

(the
| brim on mine is much flatter than is shown on the Tilley site).

They look very similar to the traditional bush hat, which was and is
very practical. I use thatch, but not everyone is so endowed :-)

???? I thought you had some past connection with Africa????

Given that, I'm very surprised at your reliance on thatch. Those of
us who live permananently in more sunny climes have had it drummed
into us for decades now, never to go out without full sun cover - and
that includes head, arms and legs.

Old 18-01-2007, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow writes:

| ???? I thought you had some past connection with Africa????

I do.

| Given that, I'm very surprised at your reliance on thatch. Those of
| us who live permananently in more sunny climes have had it drummed
| into us for decades now, never to go out without full sun cover - and
| that includes head, arms and legs.

I had the same - it's overstated. Yes, whites have lost much of the
protection, but the darker skinned of us aren't half as sensitive to
sun as is made out. By far the worst risk is sunbathing, especially
if you get badly sunburnt - and it is unclear whether sunscreen makes
things worse or better.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-01-2007, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Michael writes
My garden is very exposed to the elements and in the Summer I can only
average about 2 hours gardening a day because of the sun on my neck.

I do use a sunhat but this isn't enough. Can someone suggest a stockist of a
sunhat with flaps ?

Have you tried Travelling Light?

Got one from M&S last summer - ideal for cricket watching too.

The neck cover rolls up to give a normal base ball cap.
--
hugh
Old 19-01-2007, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

"Michael" [email protected] wrote in message
My garden is very exposed to the elements and in the Summer I can only
average about 2 hours gardening a day because of the sun on my neck.

I do use a sunhat but this isn't enough. Can someone suggest a stockist of
a sunhat with flaps ?

Thanks.

Google sunhat with flaps
http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/is...opscr1710.html

I think these are the best I've seen. Especially if you want to work
whilst wearing ear-defenders.
They also tend not to be blown off. (I've got one pair of something
like them and have also been looking for another as the one I have is
child size and I had to do a bit of ripping to get it to fit.)
Lastly. whilst doing something like say, large hedges, the clippings
roll off / slip / fall off more easily.

Michael

Old 20-01-2007, 02:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow writes:

| Given that, I'm very surprised at your reliance on thatch. Those

of
| us who live permananently in more sunny climes have had it

drummed
| into us for decades now, never to go out without full sun cover -

and
| that includes head, arms and legs.

I had the same - it's overstated. Yes, whites have lost much of the
protection, but the darker skinned of us aren't half as sensitive to
sun as is made out. By far the worst risk is sunbathing, especially
if you get badly sunburnt - and it is unclear whether sunscreen

makes
things worse or better.

Hmmmmmmmm. I don't think I agree with you. The sun related skin
cancers I have to have removed all the time are on the backs of my
hands and my forearms. My husband's and most other men's that we know
seem to be on their faces (high cheeks, tops of ears and bridge of
nose).

Old 20-01-2007, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow writes:

| I had the same - it's overstated. Yes, whites have lost much of the
| protection, but the darker skinned of us aren't half as sensitive to
| sun as is made out. By far the worst risk is sunbathing, especially
| if you get badly sunburnt - and it is unclear whether sunscreen
| makes
| things worse or better.
|
| Hmmmmmmmm. I don't think I agree with you. The sun related skin
| cancers I have to have removed all the time are on the backs of my
| hands and my forearms. My husband's and most other men's that we know
| seem to be on their faces (high cheeks, tops of ears and bridge of
| nose).

There is some confusion. You are talking about the common skin cancers,
basal and squamous cell carcinomas, which rarely metastasise. Yes, they
are strongly correlated with lifetime total exposure. But, even in sunny
countries, the risk is VERY high only for fair-skinned whites (typically
ones with fair eyes or hair) and the claims that even a small amount of
exposure for others is certain to cause cancer are quite simply nonsense.
But overdoing it is pretty likely to, for anyone with less than a dark
brown skin.

The worst risk is melanoma, which is what I was referring to, and which
has the properties I mentioned. The evidence is that tanning DOES have
SOME protective effect, which is not surprising considering how it has
evolved, and it is unclear whether sunscreen reduces or increases the
danger. But it is VERY foolish to rely on tanning alone in sunny
countries, unless you have black or dark brown skin.

In the UK, of course, the sun is rarely strong enough even to tan me,
and it is rarely warm enough to WANT to strip off :-( But I am very
sallow for someone of mainly celtic ancestry - perhaps a throwback to
the Armada :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.