Old 20-01-2007, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Help! Pond smells bad!

Hi all,
Is it me or are all non filtered ponds prone to get smelly without the
benefit of growth and sunlight? I'm hoping all will come good when the
UV starts filtering through. Otherwise, I'm looking at draining with a
bucket and replacing all the hard work of last year!
Any ideas?

Old 20-01-2007, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

You have bacteria growing in it to cause the smell. May you could add a
chemical to kill the bacteria without killing the good stuff you want in it.

Dwayne (in Kansas)

oups.com...

Old 20-01-2007, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Richard wrote
Is it me or are all non filtered ponds prone to get smelly without the
benefit of growth and sunlight? I'm hoping all will come good when the
UV starts filtering through. Otherwise, I'm looking at draining with a
bucket and replacing all the hard work of last year!
Any ideas?

Only if you let them get a layer of detritus on the bottom that will play
host to anaerobic bacteria hence the "rotten eggs" smell. If the pond smells
without you stirring up the muck then the water is bad/polluted and, yes,
you will have to drain, clean out, and start again.
Unusual in just one year though, is it under trees, does it get lots of muck
in it?

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 20-01-2007, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Richard wrote
Is it me or are all non filtered ponds prone to get smelly without the
benefit of growth and sunlight? I'm hoping all will come good when the
UV starts filtering through. Otherwise, I'm looking at draining with a
bucket and replacing all the hard work of last year!
Any ideas?

Only if you let them get a layer of detritus on the bottom that will play
host to anaerobic bacteria hence the "rotten eggs" smell. If the pond
smells without you stirring up the muck then the water is bad/polluted
and, yes, you will have to drain, clean out, and start again.
Unusual in just one year though, is it under trees, does it get lots of
muck in it?

And, how long have you had it, is it new, or has it been there for many
years?

If it is new, then try to have a little patience, changing the water will
only repeat the present problmes!

Alan

Old 20-01-2007, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I am no expert but type "pond smells" into a google search engine - there
looked to be some useful info there!

--
I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Baal

http://www.helden.org.uk

Old 21-01-2007, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tulpa wrote:

Hi all,
Is it me or are all non filtered ponds prone to get smelly without the
benefit of growth and sunlight? I'm hoping all will come good when the
UV starts filtering through. Otherwise, I'm looking at draining with a
bucket and replacing all the hard work of last year!
Any ideas?

It sounds stagnant and it would take a pretty lot of sunshine to clear
that. Unless you have plants to oxygenate it you could well always
have a problem

Old 21-01-2007, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Richard wrote
Is it me or are all non filtered ponds prone to get smelly without the
benefit of growth and sunlight? I'm hoping all will come good when the
UV starts filtering through. Otherwise, I'm looking at draining with a
bucket and replacing all the hard work of last year!
Any ideas?

Only if you let them get a layer of detritus on the bottom that will play
host to anaerobic bacteria hence the "rotten eggs" smell. If the pond
smells without you stirring up the muck then the water is bad/polluted
and, yes, you will have to drain, clean out, and start again.
Unusual in just one year though, is it under trees, does it get lots of
muck in it?

And, how long have you had it, is it new, or has it been there for many
years?

Only a year I'm afraid. Yep, it's under trees and is frequently mowed
into... Looks like I'l have to get mucky in the spring.. I'm not going
to tackle it as the cold weather approaches!

Old 21-01-2007, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Group,
Using a natural method, sprays or water changing only compound the problem.
I assume that you have no fish or livestock in it at present.
Firstly;
Acquire some daphnia (water fleas) these are sometimes available from "good"
tropical fish shops, but are easily obtained from a small pond or ditch that
would dry from time to time. You remember the little old fishing net you
used to get as a kid, a length of bamboo with a loop of wire at the top
with a bit of net on it. Well, make something like that but a bit stronger,
for the net part use a bit of the wife's stocking.
Find a suitable container with a waterproof top and off you go searching the
countryside for suitable ponds and ditches, (when you find one don't go
shouting about it, they are valuable, there's good money to be had supplying
tropical fish shops). Anyway transfer a load live into your pond and leave
alone for a couple of months, and they will clean your pond. The daphnia
have a short lifespan but don't worry they will leave their eggs in the pond
for the future. Try googling daphnia, there's a lot of info there about
them.

Secondly:
Get some pond weed and let it establish, the roots of the pond weed will
also draw the smelly nutrients out of the sludge that has acquired, you will
also need a few water snails to keep your weed clean and active. Don't
forget to add a lily or two depending on the size of the pond, natural shade
is necessary.

Thirdly:
Having made your pond nice and clean you need to add some fish, who will be
delighted with you, because you have provided them with a menu of daphnia
and water snails, try a few native fish like tench and rudd.

Result;
A nice pond that is a pleasure to look at and is a source of natural refuge
for many other species i.e.., frogs, newts etc.
Warning;
Keep your eyes open for herons, they will destroy your fish life in less
than an hour on a small pond.

Best of luck
David.

Old 21-01-2007, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Tulpa writes

Only a year I'm afraid. Yep, it's under trees and is frequently mowed
into... Looks like I'l have to get mucky in the spring.. I'm not going
to tackle it as the cold weather approaches!

If you've any hint of amphibians in there, spring is not a good time as
you'll disturb their breeding.

Rubber gloves are good - even if you get water inside, you warm the thin
layer of water and stay warm thereafter - a wet-suit for the hands.
Cavers use marigolds to keep warm in wet caves.
--
Kay
Old 22-01-2007, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 21, 9:39 pm, K wrote:
Tulpa writes

Only a year I'm afraid. Yep, it's under trees and is frequently mowed
into... Looks like I'l have to get mucky in the spring.. I'm not going
to tackle it as the cold weather approaches!If you've any hint of amphibians in there, spring is not a good time as

you'll disturb their breeding.

Rubber gloves are good - even if you get water inside, you warm the thin
layer of water and stay warm thereafter - a wet-suit for the hands.
Cavers use marigolds to keep warm in wet caves.
Thanks Kay. I'll remember that.. I'll have to wait though 'cause there are frogs walking around our garden!

Old 22-01-2007, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks very much! These are really good ideas. I shall research Daphnea
immediately and start looking around for suitable plants. Netting too I
think. Live and learn!

Richard.

Old 22-01-2007, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tulpa" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 21, 9:39 pm, K wrote:
Tulpa writes

Only a year I'm afraid. Yep, it's under trees and is frequently mowed
into... Looks like I'l have to get mucky in the spring.. I'm not going
to tackle it as the cold weather approaches!If you've any hint of
amphibians in there, spring is not a good time as

you'll disturb their breeding.

Rubber gloves are good - even if you get water inside, you warm the thin
layer of water and stay warm thereafter - a wet-suit for the hands.
Cavers use marigolds to keep warm in wet caves.
Thanks Kay. I'll remember that.. I'll have to wait though 'cause there
are frogs walking around our garden!

If you have frogs I wouldn't even consider changing the water in the ppond,
you will kill off all the eggs!

Alan

Old 24-01-2007, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

There are frogs.. and therefore a good excuse for laziness until
spring!

On 22 Jan, 17:47, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
"Tulpa" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

On Jan 21, 9:39 pm, K wrote:
Tulpa writes

Only a year I'm afraid. Yep, it's under trees and is frequently mowed
into... Looks like I'l have to get mucky in the spring.. I'm not going
to tackle it as the cold weather approaches!If you've any hint of
amphibians in there, spring is not a good time as
you'll disturb their breeding.

Rubber gloves are good - even if you get water inside, you warm the thin
layer of water and stay warm thereafter - a wet-suit for the hands.
Cavers use marigolds to keep warm in wet caves.
Thanks Kay. I'll remember that.. I'll have to wait though 'cause there
are frogs walking around our garden!If you have frogs I wouldn't even consider changing the water in the ppond,