Old 21-01-2007, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pond shade

I intend building a pergola type structure over my pond. I want to use a
covering for the top to create some shade. As the top will be level, I can't
use a waterproof material. I'd 'like' to use something more natural. Reed
matting perhaps? I wondered if the gardening community might advise?
Thanks
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 21-01-2007, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

BoyPete writes
I intend building a pergola type structure over my pond. I want to use a
covering for the top to create some shade. As the top will be level, I can't
use a waterproof material. I'd 'like' to use something more natural. Reed
matting perhaps? I wondered if the gardening community might advise?
Thanks

Think about access - whatever you use will need repairs at some time.
--
Kay
Old 21-01-2007, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
BoyPete writes
I intend building a pergola type structure over my pond. I want to
use a covering for the top to create some shade. As the top will be
level, I can't use a waterproof material. I'd 'like' to use
something more natural. Reed matting perhaps? I wondered if the
gardening community might advise? Thanks

Think about access - whatever you use will need repairs at some time.

Yes, I appreciate that could be a bit tricky. Thanks
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 21-01-2007, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

BoyPete wrote:
I intend building a pergola type structure over my pond. I want to
use a covering for the top to create some shade. As the top will be
level, I can't use a waterproof material. I'd 'like' to use something
more natural. Reed matting perhaps? I wondered if the gardening
community might advise? Thanks

bamboo or reed on a roll.

google will help

pk

Old 21-01-2007, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned ned is offline

"BoyPete" wrote in message
I intend building a pergola type structure over my pond. I want to

use a
covering for the top to create some shade. As the top will be level,

I can't
use a waterproof material. I'd 'like' to use something more natural.

Reed
matting perhaps? I wondered if the gardening community might advise?
Thanks
--
ßôyþëtë

Hi BP.
'Not sure what your overall objective is but, are you sure 100% shade
will satisfy the grand plan?
Is it to be a moss, fern and duckweed pond?
I'm all for some shade but total cover seems a bit OTT - if you will
pardon the pun.
:-)

--
ned

Old 24-01-2007, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
On 21/1/07 20:19, in article ,
"BoyPete" wrote:

I intend building a pergola type structure over my pond. I want to
use a covering for the top to create some shade. As the top will be
level, I can't use a waterproof material. I'd 'like' to use
something more natural. Reed matting perhaps? I wondered if the
gardening community might advise?
Thanks

Coir? Willow?

Argos now sell both reed and willow 'screening'. What life expectancy
could I expect from each? Thanks
--
ßôyþëtë

It really depends on the quality/thickness of the Argos stuff. I
would guess a min of 5 years.
For comparison and perhaps other ideas have a look at:-
http://www.mulu.co.uk/plant_list.php?id=27
The bamboo tail stuff is very substantial and heavy.

Thanks for the lonk Rupert, bookmarked. All a tad pricey, especially the
bamboo tails. Sizes are the same as Argos.....I suppose price difference
would be down to Argos' buying power. 5 years would be quite acceptable.
--
ßôyþëtë