Old 06-02-2007, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Novice gardener, flower seeds ?

Hi folks. I'm a bit of a novice gardener, having acquired a fairly mature
garden with many shrubs and roses and a few "beds". I put in a few small
shrubs to fill some gaps last autumn and they seem to be doing OK because I
followed the advice and suggestions of the chap at the nursery as to
position, etc..

I want to grow some colourful flowers in the rather empty (and weedy!) beds
this summer, and I thought, say, marigolds and cornflowers, on the basis
that they're fairly foolproof and I grew these successfully as a kid! If I
dig and lay down a good level of new compost, when do I sow the seeds, and
can I sow them direct into the ground?

Also I've had a bit of a problem with slugs, so does a scattering of slug
pellets among the seedlings work?

Any other ideas for fairly tough, colourful long-flowering annuals I can
fill my blank spaces with? Preferably from seed, 'cos it's cheaper! I have
to say that I generally can't tell one plant from another, and I'm on a huge
learning curve!

Thanks for any advice and help. I know I can read a couple of books, but
it's always better to get suggestions from real people.

Barb (Staffordshire)

Old 06-02-2007, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 13:53:20 -0000, "Barb" wrote:

Hi folks. I'm a bit of a novice gardener, having acquired a fairly mature
garden with many shrubs and roses and a few "beds". I put in a few small
shrubs to fill some gaps last autumn and they seem to be doing OK because
followed the advice and suggestions of the chap at the nursery as to
position, etc..

I want to grow some colourful flowers in the rather empty (and weedy!)
beds
this summer, and I thought, say, marigolds and cornflowers, on the basis
that they're fairly foolproof and I grew these successfully as a kid! If
dig and lay down a good level of new compost, when do I sow the seeds, and
can I sow them direct into the ground?

The answer is written on the packet of seeds.

A brilliant, well thought out and helpful answer!

Congratulations.

Alan

--

Martin

Old 06-02-2007, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Barb" wrote in message
Hi folks. I'm a bit of a novice gardener, having acquired a fairly mature
garden with many shrubs and roses and a few "beds". I put in a few small
shrubs to fill some gaps last autumn and they seem to be doing OK because
I followed the advice and suggestions of the chap at the nursery as to
position, etc..

I want to grow some colourful flowers in the rather empty (and weedy!)
beds this summer, and I thought, say, marigolds and cornflowers, on the
basis that they're fairly foolproof and I grew these successfully as a
kid! If I dig and lay down a good level of new compost, when do I sow
the seeds, and can I sow them direct into the ground?

Yes you can sow most annuals straight into the soil.

Also I've had a bit of a problem with slugs, so does a scattering of slug
pellets among the seedlings work?

Hopefully!
There are other things to try, like pots of beer into which they fall
........you can then dispose of them as you see fit.....

Any other ideas for fairly tough, colourful long-flowering annuals I can
fill my blank spaces with? Preferably from seed, 'cos it's cheaper! I
have to say that I generally can't tell one plant from another, and I'm on
a huge learning curve!

I could suggest all sorts of things, but it's probably best to make your own
choice at a garden centre. Thomson and Morgan have their catologue online so
you can do a reccy first: http://www.thompson-morgan.com/

Thanks for any advice and help. I know I can read a couple of books, but
it's always better to get suggestions from real people.
Barb (Staffordshire)

Jenny

Old 06-02-2007, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Barb" wrote in message
Thanks for the very useful website Jenny. Lots of info and suggestions,
and howto's.
Barb

A few more for your consideration:

THE seed site :~))
http://theseedsite.co.uk/

Search for what to plant where
http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantselector/default.aspx
http://www.crocus.co.uk/findplant2/

HATH Jenny

Old 06-02-2007, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Barb" wrote ...
[...]

As others have said check the packets, but most annuals can be sown direct.
For perennials may I suggest you take a look at...
http://www.jparkers.co.uk/Index.cfm?..._id =478Where there are a number of collections for a colourful border, ideal for abeginner like yourself (and even those of us that aren't) that may not besure of what to get and what to plant where etc.--RegardsBob H17mls W. of London.UK

Old 06-02-2007, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
: "Barb" wrote ...
:: Hi folks. I'm a bit of a novice gardener, having acquired a fairly
:: mature garden with many shrubs and roses and a few "beds". I put in
:: a few small shrubs to fill some gaps last autumn and they seem to be
:: doing OK because I followed the advice and suggestions of the chap
:: at the nursery as to position, etc..
::
:: I want to grow some colourful flowers in the rather empty (and
:: weedy!) beds this summer, and I thought, say, marigolds and
:: cornflowers, on the basis that they're fairly foolproof and I grew
:: these successfully as a kid! If I dig and lay down a good level of
:: new compost, when do I sow the seeds, and can I sow them direct into
:: the ground?
snip
:
http://www.jparkers.co.uk/Index.cfm?..._id =478Where
: there are a number of collections for a colourful border, ideal for
: abeginner like yourself (and even those of us that aren't) that may
: not besure of what to get and what to plant where etc.--RegardsBob
: H17mls W. of London.UK

I like 'Love in a Mist' which you can sow when it warms up in April/May and
they produce interseting seed heads which keep them going year after year