Old 01-03-2007, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Something to look out for

We've just taken delivery of a new plant that Ray has been raving about.
It's Gentiana Marsha and it's a shrubby gentian and the most gorgeous blue.
AFAIK, it's new to this country. Here's a picture of it:
http://tinyurl.com/2zh6xt
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-03-2007, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:45:06 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

We've just taken delivery of a new plant that Ray has been raving about.
It's Gentiana Marsha and it's a shrubby gentian and the most gorgeous blue.
AFAIK, it's new to this country. Here's a picture of it:
http://tinyurl.com/2zh6xt

Oh that's really beautiful. (Want, want g)

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 01-03-2007, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sally Thompson" wrote
On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:45:06 +0000, Sacha wrote
We've just taken delivery of a new plant that Ray has been raving
about.
It's Gentiana Marsha and it's a shrubby gentian and the most gorgeous
blue.
AFAIK, it's new to this country. Here's a picture of it:
http://tinyurl.com/2zh6xt

Oh that's really beautiful. (Want, want g)

Yes, it's lovely. Is it very fussy about soil and growing conditions?

--
Sue

Old 01-03-2007, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/3/07 10:07, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:45:06 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

We've just taken delivery of a new plant that Ray has been raving about.
It's Gentiana Marsha and it's a shrubby gentian and the most gorgeous blue.
AFAIK, it's new to this country. Here's a picture of it:
http://tinyurl.com/2zh6xt

Oh that's really beautiful. (Want, want g)

Lovely, isn't it? We're going to order even more of them because we think
they'll fly out of the nursery!

Old 01-03-2007, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/3/07 10:33, in article
, "Sue"
wrote:

"Sally Thompson" wrote
On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:45:06 +0000, Sacha wrote
We've just taken delivery of a new plant that Ray has been raving
about.
It's Gentiana Marsha and it's a shrubby gentian and the most gorgeous
blue.
AFAIK, it's new to this country. Here's a picture of it:
http://tinyurl.com/2zh6xt

Oh that's really beautiful. (Want, want g)

Yes, it's lovely. Is it very fussy about soil and growing conditions?

Here's the breeder's description:
http://www.cnb.nl/greenteam/newplant...vars/np174.htm

I think it was first shown last year in this country.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 09:45:06 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

We've just taken delivery of a new plant that Ray has been raving about.
It's Gentiana Marsha and it's a shrubby gentian and the most gorgeous blue.
AFAIK, it's new to this country. Here's a picture of it:
http://tinyurl.com/2zh6xt

Lets hope it doesn't escape captivity and do a JK on us!

--

Avoid the rush at the last judgement. Be converted now instead!

Disclaimer

Pete has taken all reasonable care to ensure that pages published by him
were accurate on the date of publication or last modification.
Other pages which may be linked or which Pete may have published are in
a personal capacity. Pete takes no responsibility for the consequences
of error or for any loss or damage suffered by users of any of the information
published on any of these pages, and such information does not form any
basis of a contract with readers or users of it.

It is in the nature of Usenet & Web sites, that much of the information is
experimental or constantly changing, that information published may
be for test purposes only, may be out of date, or may be the personal
opinion of the author.
Readers should verify information gained from the Web/Usenet with the appropriate
authorities before relying on it.

Should you no longer wish to read this material or content, please use your
newsreaders kill filter.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

That's a cracking plant! If my border spaces were already allocated,
I might be very tempted evwen though I don't normally go for hardy
stuff.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha wrote:

wrote:
That's a cracking plant! If my border spaces were already allocated,
I might be very tempted evwen though I don't normally go for hardy
stuff.

Oh course what I mean't to say was that if the spaces weren't already
allocated, but there was a heck of a din going on in the background.

Well, you can surely squeeze in one more plant! Your others are waiting for
you, so perhaps you'll be tempted when you come over.

It may have to be sooner than later - I'm about to start a new project
that will keep me very busy for a while. Somehow I need to turf out
the basjoo clump without damaging an Arenga palm growing beneath it.
It's going to be tricky. As to the Gentian, maybe it could go into a
big wide container currently housing a large clump of Crinum moorei.
Soft pink and intense purplish blue would work well. I'll need to
think about that

(Tea room's open, choccie cake awaits.... ;-))

Please, don't !

And chatting to David Hill makes me think - have you got that tall Dahlia he
gave us?

No, I had a spate of Dahlia imperialis enthusiasm some years ago, but
even the leaves left me rather bored after a while. I know that
David's plant flowers well with better flowers, but I'm not Dahlia-
minded ATM. I've more or less decided that the basjoo should be
replaced by an Ensete in the corner and be surrounded by the Monstera
you've set aside. I think I'll have to content myself with that for
this year. Space is getting very, very tight and what were relatively
tiny palms a few years ago, are now getting quite sizeable and all of
them need more room.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article om,
"Dave Poole" writes:

| Somehow I need to turf out
| the basjoo clump without damaging an Arenga palm growing beneath it.
| It's going to be tricky.

I need to reduce a very well established Danae racemosa without
destroying the drive next to it, which is also going to be tricky :-(
Inter alia, my estimate at the weight of the root ball is a quarter
of a ton.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/3/07 16:13, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article om,
"Dave Poole" writes:

| Somehow I need to turf out
| the basjoo clump without damaging an Arenga palm growing beneath it.
| It's going to be tricky.

I need to reduce a very well established Danae racemosa without
destroying the drive next to it, which is also going to be tricky :-(
Inter alia, my estimate at the weight of the root ball is a quarter
of a ton.

Nick, while I'm in Dahlia mode, did that D.imperialis I sent you years ago
for the Botanic garden ever do any good, or did it take one look at
Cambridge and keel over? ;-)

Old 01-03-2007, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 1, 9:45 am, Sacha wrote:
We've just taken delivery of a new plant that Ray has been raving about.
It's Gentiana Marsha and it's a shrubby gentian and the most gorgeous blue.
AFAIK, it's new to this country. Here's a picture of it:http://tinyurl.com/2zh6xt
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

It's a pity you don't do mail order, I would like one of those for
France. Can I get one local to me do you think?

Judith

Old 01-03-2007, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/3/07 17:57, in article
,
" wrote:

On Mar 1, 9:45 am, Sacha wrote:
We've just taken delivery of a new plant that Ray has been raving about.
It's Gentiana Marsha and it's a shrubby gentian and the most gorgeous blue.
AFAIK, it's new to this country. Here's a picture of
it:
http://tinyurl.com/2zh6xt
--

It's a pity you don't do mail order, I would like one of those for
France. Can I get one local to me do you think?

Judith

I'm sure you will be able to. Just do an online Google for their suppliers
and if that doesn't help, contact the breeders. I'd send you one, Judith
but Ray is cherishing them like his first born! I'm wondering if, when we
get more, we can make a sort of low hedge of them somewhere. I feel that
could be extremely pretty. And I'm just about to order the pure white
rosemary 'Montagnette' from Olivier Filippi. Would you like one?

Old 01-03-2007, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 1, 6:03 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 1/3/07 17:57, in article
om,

" wrote:
On Mar 1, 9:45 am, Sacha wrote:
We've just taken delivery of a new plant that Ray has been raving about.
It's Gentiana Marsha and it's a shrubby gentian and the most gorgeous blue.
AFAIK, it's new to this country. Here's a picture of
it:http://tinyurl.com/2zh6xt
--

It's a pity you don't do mail order, I would like one of those for
France. Can I get one local to me do you think?

Judith

I'm sure you will be able to. Just do an online Google for their suppliers
and if that doesn't help, contact the breeders. I'd send you one, Judith
but Ray is cherishing them like his first born!

Don't be daft gel, I can buy my own!

And I'm just about to order the pure white
rosemary 'Montagnette' from Olivier Filippi. Would you like one?

Only if I can pay for it.

Judith