Old 05-03-2007, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Identify a broom

I wonder if anyone can identify this broom? We have the common broom
Cytisus scoparius and this single shrub which we are struggling to put a
name to. It is quite distinct from the common and Spanish brooms in
that the twigs curl. A Google image search did not produce anything
obvious.

Here are 2 links to an image of it - the first one is 213 Kb
http://www.pbase.com/rbel1/image/75228486/original

and the second just 73Kb for those with dial-up connections
http://www.pbase.com/rbel1/image/75228486/medium

Grateful for any feedback.
--
Robert
Old 05-03-2007, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Mar, 15:20, Robert wrote:
I wonder if anyone can identify this broom? We have the common broom
Cytisus scoparius and this single shrub which we are struggling to put a
name to. It is quite distinct from the common and Spanish brooms in
that the twigs curl. A Google image search did not produce anything
obvious.
Here are 2 links to an image of it - the first one is 213 Kbhttp://www.pbase.com/rbel1/image/75228486/original
and the second just 73Kb for those with dial-up connectionshttp://www.pbase.com/rbel1/image/75228486/medium
Grateful for any feedback.

It's the Cistus x pulverulentus 'Sunset', I think, I suggest, only an
opinion ...

Old 05-03-2007, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Mar, 16:46, Jennifer Sparkes wrote:
Cistus x pulverulentus 'Sunset',

Errrmmm - have you looked at that in Google images ...

Cytisus! Not Cistus )) Sorry, really my apologies. It's at the tip
of my tongue but I just can't come up with it. I need to see a book I
have at home. I'm convinced I've seen it in there.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert" wrote in message
I wonder if anyone can identify this broom? We have the common broom
Cytisus scoparius and this single shrub which we are struggling to put a
name to. It is quite distinct from the common and Spanish brooms in that
the twigs curl. A Google image search did not produce anything obvious.

Here are 2 links to an image of it - the first one is 213 Kb
http://www.pbase.com/rbel1/image/75228486/original

and the second just 73Kb for those with dial-up connections
http://www.pbase.com/rbel1/image/75228486/medium

Grateful for any feedback.
--
Robert

Is the broom (cytisus) a bit of a red herring.
It doesn't really resemble a broom .The colour seems wrong --does it
flower.?
Probably common as muck and someone will ID it soon:-)

Old 05-03-2007, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 5, 6:09 pm, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
wrote:
"Robert" wrote in message

...I wonder if anyone can identify this broom? We have the common broom
Cytisus scoparius and this single shrub which we are struggling to put a
name to. It is quite distinct from the common and Spanish brooms in that
the twigs curl. A Google image search did not produce anything obvious.

Here are 2 links to an image of it - the first one is 213 Kb
http://www.pbase.com/rbel1/image/75228486/original

and the second just 73Kb for those with dial-up connections
http://www.pbase.com/rbel1/image/75228486/medium

Grateful for any feedback.
--
Robert

Is the broom (cytisus) a bit of a red herring.
It doesn't really resemble a broom .The colour seems wrong --does it
flower.?
Probably common as muck and someone will ID it soon:-)

I think it is a broom, it's one of the only shrubs that I have grown
from seed given free in a magazine years ago. I have a friend who
might know so I am off to send an email. I'm by no means an expert
but one will be along in a minute.

Judith

Old 05-03-2007, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 5, 5:12 pm, "La Puce" wrote:
On 5 Mar, 16:46, Jennifer Sparkes wrote:

Cistus x pulverulentus 'Sunset',

Errrmmm - have you looked at that in Google images ...

Cytisus! Not Cistus )) Sorry, really my apologies. It's at the tip
of my tongue but I just can't come up with it. I need to see a book I
have at home. I'm convinced I've seen it in there.

Why don't you just keep quiet, you are really misleading people.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
writes

"Robert" wrote in message
I wonder if anyone can identify this broom? We have the common broom
Cytisus scoparius and this single shrub which we are struggling to put a
name to. It is quite distinct from the common and Spanish brooms in that
the twigs curl. A Google image search did not produce anything obvious.

Here are 2 links to an image of it - the first one is 213 Kb
http://www.pbase.com/rbel1/image/75228486/original

and the second just 73Kb for those with dial-up connections
http://www.pbase.com/rbel1/image/75228486/medium

Grateful for any feedback.
--
Robert

Is the broom (cytisus) a bit of a red herring.
It doesn't really resemble a broom .The colour seems wrong --does it
flower.?
Probably common as muck and someone will ID it soon:-)

I was told that it was a broom and it does produce an abundance of
yellow flowers that are very broom like. Unfortunately I do not have
any photographs of it in flower - having said that it is producing buds
so the flowers are not far off.
--
Robert
Old 05-03-2007, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Mar, 18:45, Robert wrote:
I was told that it was a broom and it does produce an abundance of
yellow flowers that are very broom like. Unfortunately I do not have
any photographs of it in flower - having said that it is producing buds
so the flowers are not far off.

What I thought I had seen was a tsuga ... I went through my list of
cytisus, chamaecytisus and found the genista cinera which is the
closest of the cytisus I could find. I looked through all the 'genets'
I had. Sorry Robert, as much as I find your specimen really beautiful,
I cannot find it's name. I haven't given up though ;o)

Old 06-03-2007, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ps.com...
On 5 Mar, 15:20, Robert wrote:
I wonder if anyone can identify this broom? We have the common broom
Cytisus scoparius and this single shrub which we are struggling to put a
name to. It is quite distinct from the common and Spanish brooms in
that the twigs curl. A Google image search did not produce anything
obvious.
Here are 2 links to an image of it - the first one is 213

Kbhttp://www.pbase.com/rbel1/image/75228486/original
and the second just 73Kb for those with dial-up

connectionshttp://www.pbase.com/rbel1/image/75228486/medium
Grateful for any feedback.

It's the Cistus x pulverulentus 'Sunset', I think, I suggest, only an
opinion ...

Dont be silly

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 06-03-2007, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6 Mar, 08:41, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
Dont be silly

Yes I know - my mistake indeed. Gross mistake. I'm now narrowing it to
a genista, which one is the big question. I've let the photo to other
people to see. I hope we get some progress from them.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Mar, 15:20, Robert wrote:
I wonder if anyone can identify this broom?

I've just received a post saying genista lydia. I didn't think of
'lydia' because it's usually very low, no more than 1/2ft high and
grown covering.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
On 5 Mar, 15:20, Robert wrote:
I wonder if anyone can identify this broom?

I've just received a post saying genista lydia. I didn't think of
'lydia' because it's usually very low, no more than 1/2ft high and
grown covering.

I don't think so:

original: http://www.pbase.com/rbel1/image/75228486/original

VS Genista lydia http://helmers.de/pflanzen/laubgehoe...ista_lydia.JPG

It's always best to check a picture before identifying a plant.

pk

Old 06-03-2007, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6 Mar, 16:20, "p.k." wrote:
La Puce wrote:
I've just received a post saying genista lydia. I didn't think of
'lydia' because it's usually very low, no more than 1/2ft high and
grown covering.

I don't think so:
original:http://www.pbase.com/rbel1/image/75228486/original
VS Genista lydiahttp://helmers.de/pflanzen/laubgehoelze/genista_lydia.JPG
It's always best to check a picture before identifying a plant.

Ho I do beleive me I do. I'm quite obsessed with searching! ;o) This
is what was sent to me. Other photos I have of this genista are in
flowers so I just can't see the swirls of the OP's original plant.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/3159/

And in any case it is very ground covering - so indeed it's not the
Lydia.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 6, 5:14 pm, "La Puce" wrote:
On 6 Mar, 16:20, "p.k." wrote:

La Puce wrote:
I've just received a post saying genista lydia. I didn't think of
'lydia' because it's usually very low, no more than 1/2ft high and
grown covering.

I don't think so:
original:http://www.pbase.com/rbel1/image/75228486/original
VS Genista lydiahttp://helmers.de/pflanzen/laubgehoelze/genista_lydia.JPG
It's always best to check a picture before identifying a plant.

Ho I do beleive me I do. I'm quite obsessed with searching! ;o) This
is what was sent to me. Other photos I have of this genista are in
flowers so I just can't see the swirls of the OP's original plant.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/3159/

And in any case it is very ground covering - so indeed it's not the
Lydia.

Good grief, it staggers from bad to worse. We would have more respect
for you if you simply said that you didn't know and that you had made
an error, end of story but no, you just dig deeper.