Old 09-03-2007, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Google groups Kill file

I have just found that there is a new Kill file for Google groups that
you can down load.
Go to the following and then do a search for Killfile

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/Goo...ps-Guide?hl=en

And it Works

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 09-03-2007, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Mar, 13:15, "Dave Hill" wrote:
I have just found that there is a new Kill file for Google groups that
you can down load.
Go to the following and then do a search for Killfile
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/Goo...ps-Guide?hl=en
And it Works

Did you use this?
http://www.penney.org/ggkiller.html

One needs Grease monkey o.6.4 and Firefox. Java Script seems to have a
bug (on that download). Have you tried it and it worked? It says that
it works on the titles but not on the topics. You still can see their
messages! Also it says that if someone replies to the troll the
message will no longer be blocked as the authors name will change. So
it's quite a difficult way around it.

Though it does say not to feed the trolls, which is the only reliable
way on google I've found.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 9 Mar, 13:33, "La Puce" wrote:
On 9 Mar, 13:15, "Dave Hill" wrote: I have just found that there is a new Kill file for Google groups that
you can down load.
Go to the following and then do a search for Killfile
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/Goo...ps-Guide?hl=en

And it Works

Did you use this?http://www.penney.org/ggkiller.html

One needs Grease monkey o.6.4 and Firefox. Java Script seems to have a
bug (on that download). Have you tried it and it worked? It says that
it works on the titles but not on the topics. You still can see their
messages! Also it says that if someone replies to the troll the
message will no longer be blocked as the authors name will change. So
it's quite a difficult way around it.

Though it does say not to feed the trolls, which is the only reliable
way on google I've found.

I use Firefox so that's no problem, I find it does a good job in
sorting out trash , though some still gets through, but after 2 weeks
in Malta at the start of last month I got home to almost 3000 items of
mail, and of that all but 200 were marked as junk.
I have only had the killfile on today, but so far it is working, even
if you have to re kill sometimes it will still be better than nothing.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 09-03-2007, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:
On 9 Mar, 13:33, "La Puce" wrote:
[...]

I think that's caused by putting your real address on newsgroups. I hope
I am not stating the obvious. When I used my real address some years
ago on usenet I started to collect spam, and I am still getting it to
this day on every address I posted with on usenet. Once the address is
compromised it never stops.
Now I have to have a set of email addresses that I never give out except
to specific people and places, and bin the rest. I get about 135 spam a
day on two domains and they go straight to /dev/null on this system
which is sendmail on a Unix server with an aliases file.
Maybe I am speaking a different computer language to yours here.
To get the corporate message across one could simply add a signature at
the bottom of the message with a domain name leading to a message box in
there somewhere comme ca:

http://www.wildpoppy.com
Some bloke writing.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Mar, 17:47, hugh_j wildpoppy@invalid wrote:
I think that's caused by putting your real address on newsgroups. I hope
I am not stating the obvious. When I used my real address some years
ago on usenet I started to collect spam, and I am still getting it to
this day on every address I posted with on usenet. Once the address is
compromised it never stops.

It's good for people to get in touch with you directly. Putting a real
address but with a rule as to where it's going is easy. I have a box
where this addy goes to, and I look at it occasionally. I harvest the
interesting posts and bin the rest )

http://www.wildpoppy.com

Indeed ))

Old 09-03-2007, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
On 9 Mar, 17:47, hugh_j wildpoppy@invalid wrote:
I think that's caused by putting your real address on newsgroups. I hope
I am not stating the obvious. When I used my real address some years
ago on usenet I started to collect spam, and I am still getting it to
this day on every address I posted with on usenet. Once the address is
compromised it never stops.

It's good for people to get in touch with you directly. Putting a real
address but with a rule as to where it's going is easy. I have a box
where this addy goes to, and I look at it occasionally. I harvest the
interesting posts and bin the rest )

http://www.wildpoppy.com

Indeed ))

The very act of sifting through the titles of a couple of dozen spam can
upset the equilibrium of a sensitive soul.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Mar, 20:09, hugh_j wildpoppy@invalid wrote:
The very act of sifting through the titles of a couple of dozen spam can
upset the equilibrium of a sensitive soul.

What if someone says to you 'I've got a RM1 routemaster and it's mine,
all mine?' g

Old 09-03-2007, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 9, 2:15 pm, "Dave Hill" wrote:
I have just found that there is a new Kill file for Google groups that
you can down load.
Go to the following and then do a search for Killfile

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/Goo...ps-Guide?hl=en

And it Works

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Thanks but unless I can find it there it doesn't work.
I've checked out that link. I'm familiar with it. I've tried
Killfiling as a word search, and got 11 results. Pretty much all
saying it doesn't exist as a Google option.
So, could you expand on that bit of information you've given us.
Please.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 9 Mar, 21:45, "aquachimp"
wrote:
On Mar 9, 2:15 pm, "Dave Hill" wrote:

I have just found that there is a new Kill file for Google groups that
you can down load.
Go to the following and then do a search for Killfile

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/Goo...ps-Guide?hl=en

And it Works

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Thanks but unless I can find it there it doesn't work.
I've checked out that link. I'm familiar with it. I've tried
Killfiling as a word search, and got 11 results. Pretty much all
saying it doesn't exist as a Google option.
So, could you expand on that bit of information you've given us.
Please.

As I said before go to the link I gave before, search group for
Killfile,
If you then click on the first result Google Groups Killfile / Twit
Filter via Internet Explorer and follow the directions.
You do need to use firefox as has been stated in an earlier post

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 09-03-2007, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
On 9 Mar, 20:09, hugh_j wildpoppy@invalid wrote:
The very act of sifting through the titles of a couple of dozen spam can
upset the equilibrium of a sensitive soul.

What if someone says to you 'I've got a RM1 routemaster and it's mine,
all mine?' g

I'm not sure about the first bit. The second bit sounds like a line from
"Emotional Rescue". But as previously mentioned, I would never see it.
Here is a typical spam entry speeding to the great compost heap in the sky.

Mar 9 20:06:51 localhost sendmail[4808]: l29K6k2O004807: to=/dev/null,
(1/0), delay=00:00:04, xdelay=00:00:00,
mailer=*file*, pri=30864, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent

No-one ever know what the message was.

http://www.wildpoppy.com

Old 09-03-2007, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Mar, 22:37, hugh_j wildpoppy@invalid wrote:
I'm not sure about the first bit. The second bit sounds like a line from
"Emotional Rescue". But as previously mentioned, I would never see it.

But ... but your blog. I thought ... Perhaps I should try a comment on
it. Looks like there hasn't been many.

Here is a typical spam entry speeding to the great compost heap in the sky.
Mar 9 20:06:51 localhost sendmail[4808]: l29K6k2O004807: to=/dev/null,
(1/0), delay=00:00:04, xdelay=00:00:00,
mailer=*file*, pri=30864, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
No-one ever know what the message was.

That is the saddest thing I've ever read. Like a cry in the dark ...

Old 09-03-2007, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
On 9 Mar, 22:37, hugh_j wildpoppy@invalid wrote:
I'm not sure about the first bit. The second bit sounds like a line from
"Emotional Rescue". But as previously mentioned, I would never see it.

But ... but your blog. I thought ... Perhaps I should try a comment on
it. Looks like there hasn't been many.

Here is a typical spam entry speeding to the great compost heap in the sky.
Mar 9 20:06:51 localhost sendmail[4808]: l29K6k2O004807: to=/dev/null,
(1/0), delay=00:00:04, xdelay=00:00:00,
mailer=*file*, pri=30864, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
No-one ever know what the message was.

That is the saddest thing I've ever read. Like a cry in the dark ...

Thanks for munging the email address. I forgot to do that myself.
I can see the "my bus" link but the Javascript pop-up window returns:
"Ce lien n'est pas ou n'est plus disponible."

So you bought yourself a Rootie Tootie eh? I am glad someone is giving
them a good home. I had the great pleasure of driving them for a year
through the West End of London, back in the eighties, as one of my many
many jobs.

Maybe the image link is one of those that only works on the latest
version of Internet Explorer on a Bill Gates computer. There are such
things I know. I'll try it on a laptop...
Well I've also tried it on a Windoze and it still won't do the business.
Oh well.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"hugh_j" wildpoppy@invalid wrote in message
Dave Hill wrote:

[...]

All true but its easier to just use something like mailwasher, they can send
as much junk as they like now it all gets deleted! and I have not had a
virus get as far as the computer since I started using it.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 13-03-2007, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

hugh_j wrote:
Dave Hill wrote:
On 9 Mar, 13:33, "La Puce" wrote:
[...]

Since I wrote this someone has launched a dictionary attack agsinst me
which means I am getting a spam every ten seconds addressed to
anyoldcombinationofletters@thisdomain!
Serves me right.
I wonder who could be the one doing it ... ?

--
http://www.wildpoppy.com/wordpress