Old 05-04-2007, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Metal Plant Supports

I remember seeing Monty Don making hooped plant supports from metal rods on
TV. I have tried googling but without success. Can anyone please point me in
the direction of a web link with what type of steel I need to use and the
instructions for getting a decent curve when bending it.

TIA

Andrew

Old 05-04-2007, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Andrew Newton" wrote in message
I remember seeing Monty Don making hooped plant supports from metal rods on
TV. I have tried googling but without success. Can anyone please point me
in
the direction of a web link with what type of steel I need to use and the
instructions for getting a decent curve when bending it.

TIA

Andrew

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...d/machine-mart

these can be used for rounds if careful

all you then need is some 1/4" or 6mm mild steel rod, a propane gas torch
and a tig welder to nail it all together..........

Old 05-04-2007, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Andrew Newton wrote:
I remember seeing Monty Don making hooped plant supports from metal
rods on TV. I have tried googling but without success. Can anyone
please point me in the direction of a web link with what type of
steel I need to use and the instructions for getting a decent curve
when bending it.

I'd say use 3-4 mm, galvanised if possible. Bend round anything suitable
(or just guess) _before_ cutting each one off the full length, so you
get leverage. You can make either lollipop-shaped ones, or half-round
ones with two legs, to be used in pairs. The latter would be best for
larger sizes, and I think best anyway, as they can be stuck in after the
plant has grown if necessary -- I suppose they can also be opened out a
bit more if you need three. I've done it, but only using whatever junk
was lying about -- including coat hangers, but they weren't so good.

--
Mike.

Monty Don's plant supports from 6mm by 2m steel rods. gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339 United Kingdom 1 19-03-2016 04:16 PM
Plant Supports Chris J Dixon United Kingdom 1 15-03-2013 05:08 PM
Plant Supports archie United Kingdom 26 02-12-2008 05:08 PM
Low tech plant supports Persephone Gardening 7 16-06-2007 08:00 PM
Intruder unfriendly plant supports Jim W United Kingdom 10 23-07-2003 11:32 PM