Old 27-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Registered User

Default Plant Supports

Hi,

I hope this is the correct place for me to ask this but it seemed the best bet. If it's not, please accept my apologies and feel free to move it.

I'm a student who has, quite by accident, got into making iron plant supports. It's just a sideline that keeps me vaguely in the black while I'm at Uni! At this point I should say I'm not here to sell. I only sell locally as I struggle hugely with delivery.

Anyway. I'm looking to expand my range and am hoping to get some ideas for designs from the people who really know what their plants need; you gardeners! Currently I make stakes, peoney supports, a square climbing rose support and an obelisk. These all come in various sizes. I did try to put up a couple of photos but can't seem to work the forum out!

So if anybody has any ideas for supports they'd like to see I'm all ears! Thanks for taking the time to read this at any rate.
Old 27-11-2008, 07:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
archie

Hi Archie

A couple of points. 1) You cannot post pictures here. You need to post to
post them elsewhere and put a link up. Here is a posting link I have
http://www.myalbum.com/Album=OQFDHPQP Free to join and very easy to use.

and 2) You are posting via gardenbanter :-( That is a red rag to a bull to
the clique on this newsgroup :-(

However, I wish you luck but don't hold your breath from this newsgroup :-(

Mike

Old 27-11-2008, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
"archie" wrote in message
[...]

This sort of thing is popular, but you probably already do something similar

http://www.pjhgardenfurniture.com/Bo...t_Support.html

I'd concentrate on one simple design, get good at making it, and find a
garden centre to retail for you. Make less profit but sell more, plus
they would collect the goods from you. With something this heavy, local
manufacture makes good sense i.e. you stand a chance of competing with
the big suppliers.
Old 27-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Registered User

Thanks for the heads up, Mike!
Old 27-11-2008, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"archie" wrote in message

[...]

Here's one I made earlier. Feel free to copy it if you wish. -

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...k/Pyramid5.jpg

Steve

Old 27-11-2008, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message
"'Mike'" wrote:
"archie" wrote:

So if anybody has any ideas for supports they'd like to see I'm
all ears! Thanks for taking the time to read this at any rate.

Hi Archie

A couple of points. 1) You cannot post pictures here. You need to post to
post them elsewhere and put a link up. Here is a posting link I have
http://www.myalbum.com/Album=OQFDHPQP
Free to join and very easy to use.

and 2) You are posting via gardenbanter :-( That is a red rag to a bull
the clique on this newsgroup :-(

However, I wish you luck but don't hold your breath from this newsgroup
:-(

How very negative of you, Mike. Just because your bragging posts
are ill-received...

Sorry I don't have any advice for our new arrival - I don't use plant
supports, other than 'common or garden' canes...

--
AnneJ

:-))

AnneJ you say such sweet things :-))

Mike

Old 27-11-2008, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote:
"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote:
"'Mike'" wrote:

However, I wish you luck but don't hold your breath from this
newsgroup :-(

How very negative of you, Mike. Just because your bragging
posts are ill-received...

Sorry I don't have any advice for our new arrival - I don't use
plant supports, other than 'common or garden' canes...

:-))
AnneJ you say such sweet things :-))

I'm very pleased to note that the lad has had a couple of helpful replies,
contrary to _your_ predictions...

I wouldn't want any newcomer, no matter from whence, to judge the
group by _your_ standards...

--
AnneJ

But AnneJ my standards are very high and I hope yours are too, and concerned
as well. I feel sure you are worried for me for my future cruise in January.
We are due to sail through the Gulf of Aden which is where the Pirates
operate and then we are due to visit Mumbai. I am certain I have your
concern for my safety. But it doesn't end there, later in the cruise we are
due to go to Bangkok and look what is happening there!!!

Thank you for your anticipated concern and thoughts.

Mike

Old 27-11-2008, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"archie" wrote

[...]

This is actually a Usenet Newsgroup (not a web forum) that happens to be
used by the gardenbanter web site without our permission. If you use a mail
program it must have Newsgroups somewhere amongst the "Tools" by which you
can download the list your ISP takes (some don't) and "subscribe" to
uk.rec.gardening (it's free) then come direct here. Even so it's a Non
Binary group so nobody is able to post pictures here. Gardebanter has it's
own place for posting pictures and you then post a link on here so we can
see it if you wish.

Supports, other than bamboo canes I use Link Stakes which are very good and
long lasting. I also use something that looks like flat horizontal wire
netting with legs which go into the ground, the plants grow through the
netting and it hold them up. (hope that makes sense)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-11-2008, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"archie" wrote

snippy

This is actually a Usenet Newsgroup (not a web forum) that happens to
be used by the gardenbanter web site without our permission.

snippy

Permission???? It's a public newsgroup. If someone needs or offers help,
where they post from is of no consequence.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 27-11-2008, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
"'Mike'" wrote:
"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote:
"'Mike'" wrote:

However, I wish you luck but don't hold your breath from this
newsgroup :-(

How very negative of you, Mike. Just because your bragging
posts are ill-received...

Sorry I don't have any advice for our new arrival - I don't use
plant supports, other than 'common or garden' canes...

:-))
AnneJ you say such sweet things :-))

I'm very pleased to note that the lad has had a couple of helpful
replies, contrary to _your_ predictions...

I wouldn't want any newcomer, no matter from whence, to judge the
group by _your_ standards...

Indeed. He came here innocently seeking advice and gets a welcome far from
warm. I sometimes despair of people.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 27-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Registered User

Archie: the obelisk photo you posted is very beautiful, but I think you need to remember that gardeners don't buy things for how they look, rather for how they display their precious plants. The whole point of an obelisk is to obscure it with a climbing plant, which rather negates the time and trouble you've gone to, ditto pergolas and all other garden supports. My advice would be keep it very simple and functional so that you minimise your costs and, as a previous poster has said, find a small local nursery that will act as a shop window. Not many nurseries/garden centres have reasonably-priced tasteful cast-iron stuff, so perhaps you've found a niche in the market. I wish you very good luck.
Old 28-11-2008, 06:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote:

I'm very pleased to note that the lad has had a couple of helpful
replies, contrary to _your_ predictions...

I wouldn't want any newcomer, no matter from whence, to judge the
group by _your_ standards...

Indeed. He came here innocently seeking advice and gets a welcome
far from warm. I sometimes despair of people.

Those who know Mike (and those who haven't already killfiled him) know
that the best thing about him is that he cruises several times a year, and
thus he's not always here to trouble us.

Those who are new to the group might not know this, and could take
some of the silly thing that he says seriously, IYSWIM.

--
AnneJ

AnneJ you never fail to amaze me at the wonderful things you say on here and
believe in what you are saying :-)

How sweet you are to me all the time.

New people to the site can thus see just how friendly the site is :-))

Mike

Old 28-11-2008, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Pete C writes
Bob Hobden wrote:
"archie" wrote

snippy

This is actually a Usenet Newsgroup (not a web forum) that happens to
be used by the gardenbanter web site without our permission.

snippy

Permission???? It's a public newsgroup. If someone needs or offers help,
where they post from is of no consequence.

Where *they* posts from is of no consequence. But I choose to post to
urg. I have never chosen to post to gardenbanter.
--
Kay
Old 28-11-2008, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 11:49:46 +0100, Martin wrote:

Some may wish that he is in quarantine on a British owned Rhine Cruiser on the
Rhine in Boppard suffering from the novovirus.

What? On here? Heaven forfend! :-)

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2?C. Summer max 34?C.
Growing season: March - November
Old 28-11-2008, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AriesVal" wrote ...
Bob Hobden wrote:

I also use something that looks like flat horizontal wire
netting with legs which go into the ground, the plants grow through the
netting and it hold them up. (hope that makes sense)

Do you have a pic or a link for that Bob?

Sorry, no. You could make one, or a few, from a sheet of the plastic coated
mesh (large holes) and some thick plastic coated wire for the legs.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden