Old 14-04-2007, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lawn mower - small lawn!

"Road_HogŪ" No Spam wrote in
:
Because the lead is usually designed to cover the area that the mower
was meant to cut.

Rubbish.

Plus most people don't like having to play around
with extension leads and dragging a 100Ft of cable around with them,
especially if it's damp.

"Most people" prefer to do just that rather than
have the reliability problems of petrol mowers.

The resistance in the cable reduces the
performance of the motor as well.

You are clearly someone that prefers to invent incorrect
theories rather than do simple practical demonstrations.

Well, you're already modifying the mower and incurring extra costs. It
isn't just that, the electric motors are made to a budget and the
blades are pretty poor as well and you're just compounding it.

If the petrol motor isn't made to a budget, then
I certainly can't afford one!
Old 14-04-2007, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
43.37...
The resistance in the cable reduces the
performance of the motor as well.

You are clearly someone that prefers to invent incorrect
theories rather than do simple practical demonstrations.

Well, if you don't believe me, contact the service desk of the manufacturer
of your product.

My statement is not an invention of incorrect theories, it comes from almost
20 years of working for a manufacturer who makes garden machinery.

Old 14-04-2007, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
43.37...
If the petrol motor isn't made to a budget, then
I certainly can't afford one!

Your personal finances are your own affair, I shan't comment on that.

Old 14-04-2007, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
43.37...

The resistance in the cable reduces the
performance of the motor as well.

You are clearly someone that prefers to invent incorrect
theories rather than do simple practical demonstrations.

A very severe case of "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 14-04-2007, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Road_HogŪ" No Spam writes:

| My statement is not an invention of incorrect theories, it comes from almost
| 20 years of working for a manufacturer who makes garden machinery.

Ah! The marketing department is now employing salestrolls :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 14-04-2007, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Road_HogŪ" No Spam wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
43.37...
The resistance in the cable reduces the
performance of the motor as well.

You are clearly someone that prefers to invent incorrect
theories rather than do simple practical demonstrations.

Well, if you don't believe me, contact the service desk of the
manufacturer of your product.

My statement is not an invention of incorrect theories, it comes from
almost 20 years of working for a manufacturer who makes garden machinery.

Explain your theory in further detail.

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 14-04-2007, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

For many years my mother used electric rotary Flymo grasscutters to cut a
large lawn, I do not have measurements now but the plot was a quarter of an
acre and at least half of that was grass. Over a period of 25 years she went
through three machines, the last of which (a 21 inch cut steel bladed
machine) is in my shed now gathering dust. I used it once last year and it
still works. Being retired she could mow at any time, so was not at the
mercy of wet weekends. My point being that although I would not choose an
electric machine, its electric start and ride on for me, for some folk they
do have benefits. For her the series of extension leads she used was far
easier than starting, manoeuvring and maintaining a petrol engined machine.

Mike

Old 14-04-2007, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
For many years my mother used electric rotary Flymo grasscutters to cut a
large lawn, I do not have measurements now but the plot was a quarter of
an acre and at least half of that was grass. Over a period of 25 years she
went through three machines, the last of which (a 21 inch cut steel bladed
machine) is in my shed now gathering dust. I used it once last year and it
still works. Being retired she could mow at any time, so was not at the
mercy of wet weekends. My point being that although I would not choose an
electric machine, its electric start and ride on for me, for some folk
they do have benefits. For her the series of extension leads she used was
far easier than starting, manoeuvring and maintaining a petrol engined
machine.

Mike

Exactly.

At our last house we had a large garden and some of it was 45 degree slopes.
An Electric Flymo was the only answer. Size of gardens meant extension leads
were used :-))

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 14-04-2007, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
Explain your theory in further detail.

Mike

--
.................................................. .............

I would have thought that the RN would have had enough bad publicity and
embarrassment in the last week or so. But it seems not only are they
overweight, like to listen to their Ipod on missions, surrender without a
fight, cry like a baby when called Mr. Bean and then flog their story to the
News of The Screws, they don't cover basic O'level physics. Actually scratch
that, it used to secondary education but is probably part of a Masters
Degree now.

But here you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm's_law

HTH

Old 14-04-2007, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Road_HogŪ" No Spam wrote in message

Very clever ........ not.

An explanation please other than cut and paste on something which is 'sort
of relevant but again proves that a very little knowledge is a very
dangerous thing.

Might I respectfully suggest that you follow the advice, "When you are in a
hole, stop digging"?

Do have a nice weekend

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 14-04-2007, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

Might I respectfully suggest that you follow the advice, "When you are in
a hole, stop digging"?

No, you can't say that, some folk like extremely deep holes :-)

Mike
(the other one)

Old 14-04-2007, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Muddymike" writes:
| "'Mike'" wrote in message
|
| Might I respectfully suggest that you follow the advice, "When you are in
| a hole, stop digging"?
|
| No, you can't say that, some folk like extremely deep holes :-)

Oh, yes, indeed. Trolls in particular, and the poster being referred
to is definitely one of them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-04-2007, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Road_HogŪ" No Spam wrote in
:
My statement is not an invention of incorrect theories,

(OK, I'll feed the troll.)
Please provide details such as:
- current drawn
- lead current rating and length
- motor's speed/power as a function of voltage
That should be easy, given that...

it comes from
almost 20 years of working for a manufacturer who makes garden
machinery.

What position? I can guess some positions that you are
unlikely to be qualified to fill.

Which manufacturer?

Old 14-04-2007, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Road_HogŪ" No Spam wrote in
:
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
43.37...
If the petrol motor isn't made to a budget, then
I certainly can't afford one!

Your personal finances are your own affair, I shan't comment on that.

You've missed the point
Old 14-04-2007, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Road_HogŪ" No Spam wrote in message

Very clever ........ not.

Well, if you're going to be a dick about it, you'll get dickhead answers.

An explanation please other than cut and paste on something which is 'sort
of relevant but again proves that a very little knowledge is a very
dangerous thing.

It explains electrical resistance and the effect that it has on current,
such as passing through an extended cable. Do you need it spoon fed?

You know I'm right, you're now just trying to find a weasel way out of it,
looking for a techincality.