Old 26-04-2007, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost Bins - are they smelly?

Baal wrote:

Useful linke to check if your postal area is covered:

http://www.recyclenow.com/home_compo...your_area.html

Many thanks for this, very useful.
I've started prodding the neighbours on installing some for the flats,
this cheap scheme should make it easier to convince them.

As stated by the other posters compost shouldn't smell bad, in fact it
should have just a very faint smell of humus which isn't unpleasant at
all.
One tip I was given to help is to leave grass cuttings on the soil for a
few hours before composting them: they dry up a little, which helps
prevent clogging and the anaeroby fermentation which later causes nasty
smells. Otherwise just shaking it up once in a while helps, but that's
it!

Greg

--

You may ask yourself, how do I work this?

No ficus = no spam