Old 15-04-2007, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost Bins - are they smelly?

I am considering a compost bin in my small north facing garden.

Because it is north facing I am trying to use the space and moving shadows
to create somewhere nice to sit in the morning and then somewhere to sit mid
afternoon when the sun is shining.

The obvious places for a compost bin is near to the bench used in the
morning, or in a corner next to where the sun loungers go in the afternoon.

The planting nearby would provide some shade and therefore the bins would
not bake in the sun.

However, are compost bins smelly? I know it involves rotting down garden
and food waste so it must be. So, are compost bins *really* smelly???

Old 15-04-2007, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Space" wrote in message
I am considering a compost bin in my small north facing garden.

Because it is north facing I am trying to use the space and moving shadows
to create somewhere nice to sit in the morning and then somewhere to sit
mid afternoon when the sun is shining.

The obvious places for a compost bin is near to the bench used in the
morning, or in a corner next to where the sun loungers go in the
afternoon.

The planting nearby would provide some shade and therefore the bins would
not bake in the sun.

However, are compost bins smelly? I know it involves rotting down garden
and food waste so it must be. So, are compost bins *really* smelly???

If the composting process is correct and you use a good mix of different
materials then there is virtually no smell unless you get your nose very
close. Even then it is not an unpleasant smell.
Perhaps for aesthetic reasons you could use one of those beehive type
composters. (if you have enough money)

Old 15-04-2007, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Space" wrote in message
[...]

don't know about any beehive composters. this is the one I am considering.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3yhq4p 220ltr

the garden needs a lot of work to make it what I want. eventually I am
considering placing trellis work around it to hide it.

Old 15-04-2007, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Space" wrote in message
I am considering a compost bin in my small north facing garden.

Because it is north facing I am trying to use the space and moving shadows
to create somewhere nice to sit in the morning and then somewhere to sit
mid afternoon when the sun is shining.

The obvious places for a compost bin is near to the bench used in the
morning, or in a corner next to where the sun loungers go in the
afternoon.

The planting nearby would provide some shade and therefore the bins would
not bake in the sun.

However, are compost bins smelly? I know it involves rotting down garden
and food waste so it must be. So, are compost bins *really* smelly???

No, compost bins do not smell if you select what you are putting in them.

General food waste should be selected, so as not to use any meat, just veg
waste.

Alan

Old 15-04-2007, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Space" wrote in message
[...]

Before you purchase one of those check out your local water board(?),
mine, Severn Trent, offer excellent priced composters (Blackwall) as
well as water butts.

Old 15-04-2007, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Alan Holmes wrote:
"Space" wrote in message
However, are compost bins smelly? I know it involves rotting down
garden and food waste so it must be. So, are compost bins *really*
smelly???

No, compost bins do not smell if you select what you are putting in them.

General food waste should be selected, so as not to use any meat, just
veg waste.

Alan

Before you purchase one of those check out your local water board(?),
mine, Severn Trent, offer excellent priced composters (Blackwall) as well
as water butts.

I can buy a 220ltr composter for £7.00 online with recyclenow.

Old 15-04-2007, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Space wrote:

However, are compost bins smelly? I know it involves rotting down garden
and food waste so it must be. So, are compost bins *really* smelly???

Well, it depends on what you put in it. If you make sure you've got
plently of drysh bulky stuff (like ripped up cardboard) and it gets
going properly, it really shouldn't smell that much at all.

Peter
Old 15-04-2007, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 15 Apr, 20:40, "Space" wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Space" wrote in message
.. .
However, are compost bins smelly? I know it involves rotting down
garden and food waste so it must be. So, are compost bins *really*
smelly???

No, compost bins do not smell if you select what you are putting in them.

General food waste should be selected, so as not to use any meat, just
veg waste.

Alan

Before you purchase one of those check out your local water board(?),
mine, Severn Trent, offer excellent priced composters (Blackwall) as well
as water butts.

I can buy a 220ltr composter for £7.00 online with recyclenow.

You're lucky, our cheapest is from the council for £17 recyclenow
don't operate in this part of the world.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 15-04-2007, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Space" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
Alan Holmes wrote:
"Space" wrote in message
However, are compost bins smelly? I know it involves rotting down
garden and food waste so it must be. So, are compost bins *really*
smelly???

No, compost bins do not smell if you select what you are putting in
them.

General food waste should be selected, so as not to use any meat, just
veg waste.

Alan

Before you purchase one of those check out your local water board(?),
mine, Severn Trent, offer excellent priced composters (Blackwall) as well
as water butts.

I can buy a 220ltr composter for £7.00 online with recyclenow.

How big, physically, is a 220ltr bin?

Old 15-04-2007, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Space" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
Alan Holmes wrote:
"Space" wrote in message
However, are compost bins smelly? I know it involves rotting down
garden and food waste so it must be. So, are compost bins *really*
smelly???

No, compost bins do not smell if you select what you are putting in
them.

General food waste should be selected, so as not to use any meat, just
veg waste.

Alan

Before you purchase one of those check out your local water board(?),
mine, Severn Trent, offer excellent priced composters (Blackwall) as
well as water butts.

I can buy a 220ltr composter for £7.00 online with recyclenow.

How big, physically, is a 220ltr bin?

height 88cm
width 72cm
depth 72cm

it's taller and wider than the average dustbin

Old 16-04-2007, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Useful linke to check if your postal area is covered:

http://www.recyclenow.com/home_compo...your_area.html

Also has the dimensions.

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

"Space" wrote in message

Old 16-04-2007, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 11:52:27 +0100, Space wrote:

However, are compost bins smelly? I know it involves rotting down
garden and food waste so it must be.

There are basically two different "rotting processes", aerobic and
anerobic. The nasty smelly one is anerobic (no air/oxygen) but fortunately
a properly working compost bin is aerobic and though I wouldn't say it is
odour free any smell should be mild and sweet.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 16-04-2007, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Space" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
Alan Holmes wrote:
"Space" wrote in message
However, are compost bins smelly? I know it involves rotting down
garden and food waste so it must be. So, are compost bins *really*
smelly???

No, compost bins do not smell if you select what you are putting in
them.

General food waste should be selected, so as not to use any meat, just
veg waste.

Alan

Before you purchase one of those check out your local water board(?),
mine, Severn Trent, offer excellent priced composters (Blackwall) as
well as water butts.

I can buy a 220ltr composter for £7.00 online with recyclenow.

How big, physically, is a 220ltr bin?

Think of a 45 gall oil drum

Old 16-04-2007, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Space" wrote in message

However, are compost bins smelly? I know it involves rotting down garden
and food waste so it must be. So, are compost bins *really* smelly???

Thanks for all the responses. I have ordered my 220ltr compost bin and a
7ltr kitchen caddy ....all for £9.00

bargain!

Old 16-04-2007, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Space wrote:
I am considering a compost bin in my small north facing garden.

However, are compost bins smelly? I know it involves rotting down
garden and food waste so it must be. So, are compost bins *really*
smelly???

Depends what you put in them,Space.
Food waste is a definite No-No.
Meat and fish scraps likewise.
Peelings, stalks of brocolli and cabbages,
shells of peas and beans ,as well as garden haulms
from spuds, tomatoes, beans, anything not cooked
and of vegetable origin is the biz.
To heat up the heap/bin add nettles (loads)
and when it gets fairly full lift the bin off the contents
and put it down alongside, then lift the old contents
and move them all into the now empty bin, giving
them a shake up as you do so to aerate them.
Do not be in a hurry to use it, otherwise it will
continue to rot down in the ground.

When it's good and ready it will be dark,rich, and crumbly,
full of worms and smelling great.
I've just turned mine, now it can wait until autumn
before spreading and digging in. Wow!

Sam