Old 18-04-2007, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhubarb in pots

I have a tiny little vegetable plot with no room for a rhubarb. But I do
have room for a pot. Would it be possible to grow a rhubarb in a pot? Has
anyone on this NG tried this?

Old 18-04-2007, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote in message
s.com...
I have a tiny little vegetable plot with no room for a rhubarb. But I do
have room for a pot. Would it be possible to grow a rhubarb in a pot?
Has
anyone on this NG tried this?

Why not put the Rhubarb where you intend putting the pot?

:-))

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 18-04-2007, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Peter James writes
I have a tiny little vegetable plot with no room for a rhubarb. But I do
have room for a pot. Would it be possible to grow a rhubarb in a pot? Has
anyone on this NG tried this?

It's a very greedy plants which can take up a lot of space. I've grown
them in pots to avoid the slugs while young, but you'd need a very big
pot to accommodate one large enough to be worth cropping - that 18-24
inch stick has an 18 inch or more leaf at the end, and a similar stalk
pointing the opposite direction, making a plant 5-6ft across.

Have you considered growing it in a flower bed? The leaf makes an
attractive contrast to more delicate foliage.
--
Kay
Old 19-04-2007, 07:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 17:21:13 +0100, Mike' wrote
(in article ):

"Peter James" wrote in message
s.com...
I have a tiny little vegetable plot with no room for a rhubarb. But I do
have room for a pot. Would it be possible to grow a rhubarb in a pot?
Has
anyone on this NG tried this?

Why not put the Rhubarb where you intend putting the pot?

-))

Mike

I meant no room in the vegetable plot, but plenty of standing room on the
patio.

Old 19-04-2007, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote in message
s.com...
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 17:21:13 +0100, Mike' wrote
(in article ):

"Peter James" wrote in message
s.com...
I have a tiny little vegetable plot with no room for a rhubarb. But I

do
have room for a pot. Would it be possible to grow a rhubarb in a pot?
Has
anyone on this NG tried this?

Why not put the Rhubarb where you intend putting the pot?

-))

Mike

I meant no room in the vegetable plot, but plenty of standing room on the
patio.

This may be a silly question, but is it feasible for you to pop up on of the
patio slabs and plant the rhubarb in the gap? I've several patios where
slabs have been left out or taken away on purpose to grow plants in the
space and they all look quite nice. Never seen it don'e with rhubarb of
course, but with other plants yeah.
--
Rhiannon_s
Due to it's large carbon footprint the light at the end of the tunnel has

Old 19-04-2007, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:23:45 +0100, Rhiannon S wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Not a silly question at all as that's how I got the vegetable patch in the
first place. I lifted 12 24" x 24" patio slabs and dug up the earth
underneath them. But lifting another would bring a frown to the face of "her
indoors" otherwise known as "She who must be obeyed". I would definitely be
pushing my luck trying that.

Old 19-04-2007, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I've successfully grown rhubarb in a pot on the patio. It was a very big pot
though - one of those 'tough tubs' as sold by Wickes the builders merchants
with lots of holes drilled in the bottom. I think B&Q and other DIY stores
sell similar large tubs. They 'may' be cheaper than buying a big container
pot from a garden centre so worth investigating.

Best to use a mix of garden soil (and well rotted manure if you have access
to any) rather than potting compost as this dries out too quickly.

It will need plenty of water and feed - I used Miracle Grow and had a good
healthy plant.
The keys to success are - big pot - plenty of water in hot weather - plenty
of feed.

Norman Digger.

Old 20-04-2007, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Apr, 16:58, Peter James wrote:
I have a tiny little vegetable plot with no room for a rhubarb. But I do
have room for a pot. Would it be possible to grow a rhubarb in a pot? Has
anyone on this NG tried this?

I'm growing rhubarb in pots at the moment.

The pots seemed fairly large in the shop, but in comparison to the
size of the root mass (or whatever you call it) they didn't allow a
great deal of room, which worried me at first. However, the rhubarb is
now thriving. So, I think that giving it a good feed seems more
important than giving it lots of space.