Old 21-04-2007, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weed Spraying

Could anyone here advise please on the correct strength of weedkiller
to water mix when spraying with a pressurised sprayer.
I'm not sure whether or not it should be more concentrated or not as
it goes much further with a finer spray etc. I'm using * Roundup * and
am not sure whether the ratio should be stronger than using a watering
can?
Thanks for any help
Old 21-04-2007, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 21 Apr, 12:40, topo ag @ag.mail.com wrote:
Could anyone here advise please on the correct strength of weedkiller
to water mix when spraying with a pressurised sprayer.
I'm not sure whether or not it should be more concentrated or not as
it goes much further with a finer spray etc. I'm using * Roundup * and
am not sure whether the ratio should be stronger than using a watering
can?
Thanks for any help

Just follow the directions on the pack, use it as coarse as you can
and avoid drift.
Spray in the evening, its calmer then normally and also cooler so
there is more time for the Glyphosate to be absorbed. Remember the
plants have to be in active growth and not stressed by drought for it
to work best, and be prepared to wait a week or two to see any sign of
it working.
Just be careful, be vary careful. Once something is sprayed you can't
un-spray it.
Also remember you sprayer will be contaminated after you have used it
for this job.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 21-04-2007, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"topo" ag @ag.mail.com wrote in message
Could anyone here advise please on the correct strength of weedkiller
to water mix when spraying with a pressurised sprayer.
I'm not sure whether or not it should be more concentrated or not as
it goes much further with a finer spray etc. I'm using * Roundup * and
am not sure whether the ratio should be stronger than using a watering
can?

There are specific instructions on the container.

Alan

Thanks for any help

Old 22-04-2007, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"topo" ag @ag.mail.com wrote in message
Could anyone here advise please on the correct strength of weedkiller
to water mix when spraying with a pressurised sprayer.
I'm not sure whether or not it should be more concentrated or not as
it goes much further with a finer spray etc. I'm using * Roundup * and
am not sure whether the ratio should be stronger than using a watering
can?
Thanks for any help

I think I use regular strength round up at about 15-30ml per 5L of water but
check the instructions on the bottle. You also need to use all 5L over the
area specified on the bottle. If you spray it on too thin it won't work as
well.

Old 22-04-2007, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 22:31:47 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"topo" ag @ag.mail.com wrote in message
.. .
Could anyone here advise please on the correct strength of weedkiller
to water mix when spraying with a pressurised sprayer.
I'm not sure whether or not it should be more concentrated or not as
it goes much further with a finer spray etc. I'm using * Roundup * and
am not sure whether the ratio should be stronger than using a watering
can?

There are specific instructions on the container.

Alan

Yep but I don't know if its me or that they are a bit ambiguous ?? Is
the mix stronger or weaker using a sprayer than a watering can ?

Old 22-04-2007, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

"topo" ag @ag.mail.com wrote in message
.. .
Could anyone here advise please on the correct strength of weedkiller
to water mix when spraying with a pressurised sprayer.
I'm not sure whether or not it should be more concentrated or not as
it goes much further with a finer spray etc. I'm using * Roundup * and
am not sure whether the ratio should be stronger than using a watering
can?

There are specific instructions on the container.

Alan

Yep but I don't know if its me or that they are a bit ambiguous ?? Is
the mix stronger or weaker using a sprayer than a watering can ?

Let me try again.
Follow the directions on the pack, you use the same strength and have
to wet all the leaf surface.
I don't know how else to say it.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

Old 22-04-2007, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

And be VERY careful where you spray. Drift/mist from spraying can kill
plants yards away from where you think you are aiming. Most plants will
survive a small amount of mist but some (e.g. grass) is killed very easily
by glyphosphate.

Old 22-04-2007, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"topo" ag @ag.mail.com wrote in message
. ..
Could anyone here advise please on the correct strength of weedkiller
to water mix when spraying with a pressurised sprayer.
I'm not sure whether or not it should be more concentrated or not as
it goes much further with a finer spray etc. I'm using * Roundup * and
am not sure whether the ratio should be stronger than using a watering
can?

There are specific instructions on the container.

Yep but I don't know if its me or that they are a bit ambiguous ?? Is
the mix stronger or weaker using a sprayer than a watering can ?

The box mine came in is quite specific, 'Roundup GC to be added to: Sprayer
1 litre of water, Watering can 5 litres of water.

Can't be any clearer.

Do you still have the box?

As the sprayer covers a wider area, then the mixture is stronger in that.

Old 22-04-2007, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:33:49 +0100, "CWatters"
wrote:

"topo" ag @ag.mail.com wrote in message
.. .
Could anyone here advise please on the correct strength of weedkiller
to water mix when spraying with a pressurised sprayer.
I'm not sure whether or not it should be more concentrated or not as
it goes much further with a finer spray etc. I'm using * Roundup * and
am not sure whether the ratio should be stronger than using a watering
can?
Thanks for any help

I think I use regular strength round up at about 15-30ml per 5L of water but
check the instructions on the bottle. You also need to use all 5L over the
area specified on the bottle. If you spray it on too thin it won't work as
well.

I thinkk that is where I have been going wrong ....... spraying it too
thinly
Thanks to all who replied
Old 23-04-2007, 06:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com, Dave Hill
wrote:
Just be careful, be vary careful. Once something is sprayed you can't
un-spray it.

Well, I sprayed a stray cowslip the other day, by mistake. My wife spotted
it within the hour and I said, "Wash it off with water".

That was about 10 days ago, and it looks fine.

Regarding concentration. I use 5% for both my back spray and small
handspray.

I'm sure I decided on that having waded through the instructions. Reading
this newsthread it seems that someone is using 3%. Am I right ?

John N.

--
From Glorious Gloucestershire, near Lydney, using :------------