Old 27-04-2007, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Old Tropical Fish Tank Water Safe To Use On Plants?

I keep a couple of tropical fish tanks and was wondering if the waste
water after water changes would be benificial or harmful to garden
plants, seems a shame to flush 40l a week if it could be doing some
good in the garden instead.
Cheers,
Ford.
Old 27-04-2007, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ford Prefect wrote:

I keep a couple of tropical fish tanks and was wondering if the waste
water after water changes would be benificial or harmful to garden
plants, seems a shame to flush 40l a week if it could be doing some
good in the garden instead.

There are some nutrients on there; to seal an old line, "It couldn't hurt."

Old 27-04-2007, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 27, 8:27 pm, Ford Prefect wrote:
I keep a couple of tropical fish tanks and was wondering if the waste
water after water changes would be benificial or harmful to garden
plants, seems a shame to flush 40l a week if it could be doing some
good in the garden instead.
Cheers,
Ford.

We use fish, bone and bone in the garden, don't we?

Old 27-04-2007, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Why O Why are you depriving the fish of their water??
A good fish keeper wouldn't change any water in two years.

Fresh tap water is harmful to fish.

Old 27-04-2007, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ford Prefect" wrote in message
I keep a couple of tropical fish tanks and was wondering if the waste
water after water changes would be benificial or harmful to garden
plants, seems a shame to flush 40l a week if it could be doing some
good in the garden instead.

Why on earth would you want to change the water at all?

Alan

Old 27-04-2007, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 21:00:12 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"Ford Prefect" wrote in message
.. .
I keep a couple of tropical fish tanks and was wondering if the waste
water after water changes would be benificial or harmful to garden
plants, seems a shame to flush 40l a week if it could be doing some
good in the garden instead.

Why on earth would you want to change the water at all?

He's talking about partial water changes, and you know it.
Old 27-04-2007, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:27:01 GMT, Ford Prefect
wrote:

I keep a couple of tropical fish tanks and was wondering if the waste
water after water changes would be benificial or harmful to garden
plants, seems a shame to flush 40l a week if it could be doing some
good in the garden instead.

Yes, it's fine to use and beneficial.
Old 27-04-2007, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ford Prefect wrote:
I keep a couple of tropical fish tanks and was wondering if the waste
water after water changes would be benificial or harmful to garden
plants, seems a shame to flush 40l a week if it could be doing some
good in the garden instead.
Cheers,
Ford.

It's great for the garden. But, what are you doing with 40l changes a week??
When I kept tropicals, I only did partial changes if water parameters were
off the normal. unnecessary changes will stress your fish.
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 27-04-2007, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 22:19:51 +0100, "BoyPete"
wrote:

Ford Prefect wrote:
I keep a couple of tropical fish tanks and was wondering if the waste
water after water changes would be benificial or harmful to garden
plants, seems a shame to flush 40l a week if it could be doing some
good in the garden instead.
Cheers,
Ford.

It's great for the garden. But, what are you doing with 40l changes a week??
When I kept tropicals, I only did partial changes if water parameters were
off the normal. unnecessary changes will stress your fish.

Large tank? Lots of tanks?
Old 27-04-2007, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Ford Prefect" wrote in message
. ..
I keep a couple of tropical fish tanks and was wondering if the waste
water after water changes would be benificial or harmful to garden
plants, seems a shame to flush 40l a week if it could be doing some
good in the garden instead.

Why on earth would you want to change the water at all?

He's talking about partial water changes, and you know it.

Why on earth would he want to partial change the water at all?

Old 27-04-2007, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BoyPete" wrote in message
Ford Prefect wrote:
I keep a couple of tropical fish tanks and was wondering if the waste
water after water changes would be benificial or harmful to garden
plants, seems a shame to flush 40l a week if it could be doing some
good in the garden instead.
Cheers,
Ford.

It's great for the garden. But, what are you doing with 40l changes a
week?? When I kept tropicals, I only did partial changes if water
parameters were off the normal. unnecessary changes will stress your
fish.

I kept tropical fish for years and I don't recall ever changing the water,
whole or partial.

Old 28-04-2007, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I use the water from our water changes on the garden and the plants seem to
appreciate it!
And as for never doing any water changes - I wouldnt have liked to be one of
the fish in your tank/s! Partial (never full) water changes and regular
gravel vaccing are necessary otherwise you'd get a huge build up of ammonia
and nitrate over a period of months/years and I'd say that Ford sounds like
a responsible fish keeper if he does regular partial changes!
Mel.

Old 28-04-2007, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , MELANIE
MCDONALD writes
I use the water from our water changes on the garden and the plants seem to
appreciate it!
And as for never doing any water changes - I wouldnt have liked to be one of
the fish in your tank/s! Partial (never full) water changes and regular
gravel vaccing are necessary otherwise you'd get a huge build up of ammonia
and nitrate over a period of months/years and I'd say that Ford sounds like
a responsible fish keeper if he does regular partial changes!
Mel.

Agreed - and not to mention the build-up of DOCs.

"BoyPete" wrote in message
Ford Prefect wrote:
I keep a couple of tropical fish tanks and was wondering if the waste
water after water changes would be benificial or harmful to garden
plants, seems a shame to flush 40l a week if it could be doing some
good in the garden instead.
Cheers,
Ford.
It's great for the garden. But, what are you doing with 40l changes a
week?? When I kept tropicals, I only did partial changes if water
parameters were off the normal. unnecessary changes will stress your
fish.

I kept tropical fish for years and I don't recall ever changing the water,
whole or partial.

Times and knowledge have changed and the accepted wisdom nowadays is to
do ten to fifteen percent regular water changes for the above-mentioned
reasons.
And the plants will love the nitrates. : )

--
Paul reply-to is valid
Old 29-04-2007, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MELANIE MCDONALD" wrote in message
. uk...
I use the water from our water changes on the garden and the plants seem to
appreciate it!
And as for never doing any water changes - I wouldnt have liked to be one
of the fish in your tank/s! Partial (never full) water changes and regular
gravel vaccing are necessary otherwise you'd get a huge build up of
ammonia and nitrate over a period of months/years and I'd say that Ford
sounds like a responsible fish keeper if he does regular partial changes!

The tropical fish shops I used to sell my fish to never complained!

Old 29-04-2007, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul" wrote in message
In message , MELANIE
MCDONALD writes
I use the water from our water changes on the garden and the plants seem
appreciate it!
And as for never doing any water changes - I wouldnt have liked to be one
of
the fish in your tank/s! Partial (never full) water changes and regular
gravel vaccing are necessary otherwise you'd get a huge build up of
ammonia
and nitrate over a period of months/years and I'd say that Ford sounds
like
a responsible fish keeper if he does regular partial changes!
Mel.

Agreed - and not to mention the build-up of DOCs.

I didn't know that Doctors lived in fish tanks!