Old 05-05-2007, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bougainvillea on the South Coast

Last year we built a veranda over the patio. This went right across the back
of the house to the boundary. Our neighbour has very kindly continued the
overhead to his building so we now have a South facing very warm very sunny
area which we wish to plant a Bougainvillea in and train over the back of
the house and onto the front of the veranda, in a manner somewhat similar to
the Chalets in the Sandals Complex I saw a short while ago when I was in St
Lucia.

Question. With a maximum frost of about 2 degrees, if the roots are well
under the veranda, would what we wish to do be possible?

We are not far from Ventnor Botanical Gardens here on the Isle of Wight,
about 5 miles, who have all sorts of exotic plants out doors

Many thanks in anticipation.

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 06-05-2007, 07:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
[...]

Yes it's possible, choose varieties based on B. spectibilis (generally the
strong reds and purples) avoid variegated plants and if possible find a
supplier who knows what they are talking about.
Plant as close to the wall as possible and water when in growth, the plant
will go dormant in winter and lose its leaves at which time it needs to be
as dry as possible. Hence the reason for planting in the dry.
I know of two outdoor plants in Cornwall and one in Torbay (I expect there
are more I am unaware of!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 06-05-2007, 07:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for that Charlie. I will pass it on to 'the Gardener', (her
outdoors:-)

I am in Torbay next weekend, is the plant in Torbay in a public domain? We
may try to look at it if so. I should be in Torquay from Friday to Monday
but I have been booked to give a Lecture on which means I want to be back on
the Island for Monday. I may therefore return Sunday and I don't know what
the programme in Torquay is for the Saturday ......... if you see what I
mean.

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 06-05-2007, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote in message
[...]

We are in Cornwall, but we've never dared to expose our Bougainvillea to
the outside weatheer during the winter. Where in Cornwall is the out
door plant?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
[...]

Many thanks Charlie.

Joan has devoured her RHS Manual and found all sorts of information. Scoured
Google and come up with the plant, pictures, details AND a nursery/garden
centre who sells them in Kent. Another question please. When do you plant
them? We are in Eastbourne in October and it will be no hardship to nip up
to Kent before returning to the Island. Wold that be any good?

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 06-05-2007, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

[...]

If it were me I would plant as soon as possible, certainly not in the Autumn
the plant needs to be well established before winter comes.
regret plant is in a friends garden.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote in message
news:1hxomdp.1ssefnk11ugoljN%pfjames2000@googlemai l.com...
Charlie Pridham wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote in message
[...]

Down at "Point" there are actually several more (including one here) that
have overwintered outside, but I did not count them as they have not
flowered after!

Old 06-05-2007, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

If it were me I would plant as soon as possible, certainly not in the
Autumn
the plant needs to be well established before winter comes.
regret plant is in a friends garden.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.

Thanks Charlie

Been out and spoken to the gardener ;-) and she is going to talk to the
nurseries in Kent and see if they can send one now :-))

Thanks for the help.

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk