Old 16-05-2007, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default olive tree - olea europaea - Winter hardy in UK?

David (Normandy) wrote:
Has anyone got any experience growing an olive tree outside in the UK?
I've just bought one (an impulse buy) but according to the label it
should be kept in a frost free place over Winter. The tree is 5 feet
high with a half inch diameter trunk. We don't have much suitable
space so it would be inconvenient to keep it indoors over Winter.

After Googling, it seems they can survive outside in the UK if they
are mature enough. Question is - what is mature enough? Would it
survive planted outdoors in a sheltered but sunny spot provided I
wrapped it head to toe in fleece over Winter, until it is old enough
to cope?
Also - are they self fertile or do I need another tree? I'm partial
to juicy black olives.

The weather here in Normandy is very similar to Southern England.

Any suggestions?

you should be fine - mine in SW19 is thriving.

any problems re likely to come from cold wet water retentive soil, not
moderate frost.

pk