Old 19-05-2007, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default http://mulberrytrees.co.uk/

I've put together a 'mulberry trees' web site:

-- http://mulberrytrees.co.uk/ --

The site identifies the location of
UK mulberry trees - using Google Maps where
possible - in order to better help people
appreciate the virtues of mulberry fruit.

Some community effort is required to help
realize this plan - please help share your
mulberry tree knowledge.

Many of the trees currently listed are from
Bristol - since that's where I live - but
submissions from anywhere in the UK would
be very welcome.

There's also a section on mulberry cultivation -
for those interested in helping this tree to
reproduce.

Enjoy,
--
__________
Old 19-05-2007, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Tim Tyler writes
I've put together a 'mulberry trees' web site:

-- http://mulberrytrees.co.uk/ --

The site identifies the location of
UK mulberry trees - using Google Maps where
possible - in order to better help people
appreciate the virtues of mulberry fruit.

Some community effort is required to help
realize this plan - please help share your
mulberry tree knowledge.

Many of the trees currently listed are from
Bristol - since that's where I live - but
submissions from anywhere in the UK would
be very welcome.

There's also a section on mulberry cultivation -
for those interested in helping this tree to
reproduce.

Interesting site. I think you're a bit misleading on dormancy for those
of us in N England - mine is just breaking leaf mid way through May. It
wouldn't do for me to start panicking at the beginning of May!

--
Kay
Old 19-05-2007, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 19 May 2007 Tim Tyler wrote:
I've put together a 'mulberry trees' web site:

-- http://mulberrytrees.co.uk/ --

Very good. I like it. However you make propagation sound terribly easy.
I've tried propagating from my black mulberry for many years, cuttings
and seed, but have consistently had a 100% failure rate.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 19-05-2007, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/5/07 16:13, in article
, "Tim Tyler"
wrote:

I've put together a 'mulberry trees' web site:

-- http://mulberrytrees.co.uk/ --

The site identifies the location of
UK mulberry trees - using Google Maps where
possible - in order to better help people
appreciate the virtues of mulberry fruit.

Some community effort is required to help
realize this plan - please help share your
mulberry tree knowledge.

Many of the trees currently listed are from
Bristol - since that's where I live - but
submissions from anywhere in the UK would
be very welcome.

There's also a section on mulberry cultivation -
for those interested in helping this tree to
reproduce.

Enjoy,

Lovely photos. Our Morus nigra was planted 6 years ago at about 2' tall and
is now about 10' tall. It's in full leaf now. In its second year with us
it produced two fruits.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-05-2007, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Rance wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2007 Tim Tyler wrote:

I've put together a 'mulberry trees' web site:

-- http://mulberrytrees.co.uk/ --

Very good. I like it. However you make propagation sound terribly easy.
I've tried propagating from my black mulberry for many years, cuttings
and seed, but have consistently had a 100% failure rate.

I haven't experienced any /serious/ problems with
propagation via seeds from fresh fruit.

I clean the seeds, bury them seeds under about 1mm of
purchased compost in the illustrated containers,
put them in a heated incubator and keep them moist.

Some seeds germinate later indoors without heat - if
left long enough.

I expect if I used cold stratification - and was more
religious about cleaning the seeds, soaking them and
using sterile compost - it would work even better.

I'm not sure what to suggest. Perhaps try different seed?
--
__________

Old 19-05-2007, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Tim Tyler writes
David Rance wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2007 Tim Tyler wrote:

I've put together a 'mulberry trees' web site:

-- http://mulberrytrees.co.uk/ --

Very good. I like it. However you make propagation sound terribly
easy. I've tried propagating from my black mulberry for many years,
cuttings and seed, but have consistently had a 100% failure rate.

I haven't experienced any /serious/ problems with
propagation via seeds from fresh fruit.

I clean the seeds, bury them seeds under about 1mm of
purchased compost in the illustrated containers,
put them in a heated incubator and keep them moist.

Some seeds germinate later indoors without heat - if
left long enough.

I expect if I used cold stratification - and was more
religious about cleaning the seeds, soaking them and
using sterile compost - it would work even better.

I'm not sure what to suggest. Perhaps try different seed?

Some of your links were suggesting that some mulberries have male and
female flowers on separate plants (in US many people grow male plants to
avoid the fruit making a mess), so could a female plant produce
non-viable seed?
--
Kay
Old 19-05-2007, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Tim Tyler writes
David Rance wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2007 Tim Tyler wrote:

-- http://mulberrytrees.co.uk/ --
Very good. I like it. However you make propagation sound terribly
easy. I've tried propagating from my black mulberry for many years,
cuttings and seed, but have consistently had a 100% failure rate.

[snip advice]

I'm not sure what to suggest. Perhaps try different seed?

Some of your links were suggesting that some mulberries have male and
female flowers on separate plants (in US many people grow male plants to
avoid the fruit making a mess), so could a female plant produce
non-viable seed?

Black mulberries are monoecious - so this seems
unlikely to be an issue.

Incidentally it seems possible that pinching out
the young male catkins from Morus Nigra specimins
could result in more resources being available
for the fruit. I wonder if this hypothesis is
reasonable, and whether it has been tested.
--
__________
Old 19-05-2007, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 19 May 2007 Tim Tyler wrote:

Very good. I like it. However you make propagation sound terribly
easy. I've tried propagating from my black mulberry for many years,
cuttings and seed, but have consistently had a 100% failure rate.

[snip advice]

I'm not sure what to suggest. Perhaps try different seed?

Incidentally it seems possible that pinching out
the young male catkins from Morus Nigra specimins
could result in more resources being available
for the fruit. I wonder if this hypothesis is
reasonable, and whether it has been tested.

How big should the seeds be? Mine seem to be smaller than, say, a
blackberry seed.

David

Old 19-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Registered User

Location: East Yorkshire UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tyler View Post
K wrote:
Tim Tyler writes
David Rance wrote:
[...]

What a wonderful idea to have a mulberry site. I have just added six more trees, including one in Lincs & 3 in East Yorkshire. Have just remembered that there is another in Patrington Vicarage.
But my favourite is the narled specimen in the garden of William Wilberforce's birthplace.
http://topveg.com/2007/02/22/william...mulberry-tree/
__________________
TopVeg
www.topveg.com
Old 19-05-2007, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Rance wrote:

How big should the seeds be? Mine seem to be smaller than, say, a
blackberry seed.

My full size seeds seem to be about 4mm x 2.5mm x 1.5mm.
Some of the seeds are smaller.
--
__________

Old 19-05-2007, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 19 May 2007 Tim Tyler wrote:

How big should the seeds be? Mine seem to be smaller than, say, a
blackberry seed.

My full size seeds seem to be about 4mm x 2.5mm x 1.5mm.
Some of the seeds are smaller.

Ah, then mine aren't viable seeds. They're nothing like that size.

David

Old 19-05-2007, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Tim Tyler writes
K wrote:
Tim Tyler writes
David Rance wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2007 Tim Tyler wrote:

-- http://mulberrytrees.co.uk/ --
Very good. I like it. However you make propagation sound terribly
easy. I've tried propagating from my black mulberry for many years,
cuttings and seed, but have consistently had a 100% failure rate.

[snip advice]

I'm not sure what to suggest. Perhaps try different seed?

Some of your links were suggesting that some mulberries have male
and female flowers on separate plants (in US many people grow male
plants to avoid the fruit making a mess), so could a female plant
produce non-viable seed?

Black mulberries are monoecious - so this seems
unlikely to be an issue.

Ah - I was misled by one of your links:

"Mulberries are dioecious, meaning that the flowering parts are on
different trees–males and females–and the fruits and seeds are
produced on the female plants. Chiles and tomatoes, for example, are
monoecious, with all flowering parts on the same plant.

Because the female mulberry trees produce huge amounts of fruit that
stain everything they touch, most people plant the male trees, the
so-called fruitless mulberries that are grown from cuttings, or clones.
"

Incidentally it seems possible that pinching out
the young male catkins from Morus Nigra specimins
could result in more resources being available
for the fruit. I wonder if this hypothesis is
reasonable, and whether it has been tested.

Do you still get fruit if you pinch out the male catkins?

--
Kay
Old 19-05-2007, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote or quoted:

Incidentally it seems possible that pinching out
the young male catkins from Morus Nigra specimins
could result in more resources being available
for the fruit. I wonder if this hypothesis is
reasonable, and whether it has been tested.

Do you still get fruit if you pinch out the male catkins?

Maybe:

``In monoecious species with male and female flowers
on the same tree, pollination typically requires
pollen from a different tree because the maturation
sequence of male and female flowers on the same tree
is incompatible.

Some species and varieties produce fleshy, seedless fruits
without pollination. These fruits are called parthenocarpic
because they mature without pollination and seed formation.''

- http://waynesword.palomar.edu/fruitid6.htm

Why a tree would bother to produce fruit without
seeds seems puzzling - perhaps it doesn't happen
naturally very frequently.
--
__________
Old 20-05-2007, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Tim Tyler writes
K wrote or quoted:

[...]

What do the male catkins look like, anyway? I've had a good look on my
tree this morning and all I can see is what I presume are female
catkins, basically looking like embryonic fruit.
--
Kay
Old 20-05-2007, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

What do the male catkins look like, anyway? I've had a good look on my
tree this morning and all I can see is what I presume are female
catkins, basically looking like embryonic fruit.

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/terminf1.htm
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/fruitid6.htm4

Scroll down for the pictures.
--