Old 20-05-2007, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

Default Suggestions for a ten foot tall tree please

We need a thin, not too tall tree to replace the privacy that has gone
from one corner of our garden after a neighbour butchered a mature
tree.

We'd like something that provides a bit of colour, either flowering or
leaf wise, and wont grow too tall or spread too wide.

Any suggestions please?

Old 21-05-2007, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com, Ed
writes
We need a thin, not too tall tree to replace the privacy that has gone
from one corner of our garden after a neighbour butchered a mature
tree.

We'd like something that provides a bit of colour, either flowering or
leaf wise, and wont grow too tall or spread too wide.

Any suggestions please?

Acer speudoplatanus brilliantissimus?
(Think that's it's full name
Needs to be on a rootstock. Only 15 - 18 foot after 25 years!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 21-05-2007, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Janet Tweedy writes
In article .com, Ed
writes
We need a thin, not too tall tree to replace the privacy that has gone
from one corner of our garden after a neighbour butchered a mature
tree.

We'd like something that provides a bit of colour, either flowering or
leaf wise, and wont grow too tall or spread too wide.

Any suggestions please?

Acer speudoplatanus brilliantissimus?
(Think that's it's full name
Needs to be on a rootstock. Only 15 - 18 foot after 25 years!

Pseudo not speudo.
The acer that thinks it's a plane ;-)
--
Kay
Old 22-05-2007, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes

Acer speudoplatanus brilliantissimus?
(Think that's it's full name
Needs to be on a rootstock. Only 15 - 18 foot after 25 years!

Pseudo not speudo.
The acer that thinks it's a plane ;-)

Oh didn't spots that, it's one of my normal mistypes, including sue for
use and memebers for members
Anyway it is a nice tree.
Old 23-05-2007, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ed" wrote in message
oups.com...
We need a thin, not too tall tree to replace the privacy that has gone
from one corner of our garden after a neighbour butchered a mature
tree.

We'd like something that provides a bit of colour, either flowering or
leaf wise, and wont grow too tall or spread too wide.

Any suggestions please?

I'd go for an ornamental cherry of some sort, loads of beautiful flowers
each spring. Most can be pruned to any height you need and some varieties
stop around the ten foot mark. Or a crab apple, that way you'd get flowers
in spring and fruits a little later on.
--
Rhiannon_s
Due to it's large carbon footprint the light at the end of the tunnel has

Old 23-05-2007, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Rhiannon S" writes:

| I'd go for an ornamental cherry of some sort, loads of beautiful flowers
| each spring. Most can be pruned to any height you need and some varieties
| stop around the ten foot mark. Or a crab apple, that way you'd get flowers
| in spring and fruits a little later on.

Or a damson - nearly as good in flower as a cherry, and excellent in
fruit. Go for a traditional, not overbred, variety.

But, really, most of the moderate Rosaceae trees will do - and there
are dozens of species hardy and easy to grow in the UK. Almost all
can be pruned to keep them under control.

And there are many others - e.g. laburnum, tamarisk etc.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 23-05-2007, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
(Jim Jackson) writes:

| Yew
| Will grow tall but only after a long time

Don't bet on it :-) But it can be pruned to stay small, like holly
for that matter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-05-2007, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/5/07 13:22, in article
, "Rhiannon S"
wrote:

"Ed" wrote in message
oups.com...
We need a thin, not too tall tree to replace the privacy that has gone
from one corner of our garden after a neighbour butchered a mature
tree.

We'd like something that provides a bit of colour, either flowering or
leaf wise, and wont grow too tall or spread too wide.

Any suggestions please?

I'd go for an ornamental cherry of some sort, loads of beautiful flowers
each spring. Most can be pruned to any height you need and some varieties
stop around the ten foot mark. Or a crab apple, that way you'd get flowers
in spring and fruits a little later on.

I'd add Eucryphia and Crinodendron - both evergreen, both lovely.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk