Old 21-05-2007, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rotary Soil Sieve

I'm thinking of buying a rotary soil sieve from Coopers of Storford to speed
up the my compost sieveing. Has anybody any experience of these ? Are they
robust enough for about 1 m3 of compost a year? Any comments appreciated.
Trefor

Old 22-05-2007, 12:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Trefor Jones" wrote in message
I'm thinking of buying a rotary soil sieve from Coopers of Storford to
speed
up the my compost sieveing. Has anybody any experience of these ? Are they
robust enough for about 1 m3 of compost a year? Any comments appreciated.
Trefor

Yes , it's a nice piece of kit. Fine for 1 cubic metre per year as long as
you don't want it all at once.
A big boys toy is he-
http://www.recycleworks.co.uk/cgi-bi...talogno=TRS400

Old 23-05-2007, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Trefor Jones
writes
I'm thinking of buying a rotary soil sieve from Coopers of Storford to speed
up the my compost sieveing. Has anybody any experience of these ? Are they
robust enough for about 1 m3 of compost a year? Any comments appreciated.
Trefor

Items from Coopers in my humble opinion are rubbish - sent back with
strong moan.

Adverts always gives a favourable picture of item.

You can send things back but you must keep the advert as you have to
return things to them and the address is very difficult to find.

There was some stuff on the Internet about them.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 25-05-2007, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Rupert and Janet - now I am really in a quandry!
Trefor
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Trefor Jones
writes

Old 25-05-2007, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Trefor Jones" wrote in message
Thanks Rupert and Janet - now I am really in a quandry!
Trefor
snip

Fret not.The same item is sold by a plethora of other people.
If your anywhere near me come round and try the thing and if you like it
take it away-I now have the big boys version.

Old 27-05-2007, 01:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
writes

"Trefor Jones" wrote in message
Thanks Rupert and Janet - now I am really in a quandry!
Trefor
snip

Fret not.The same item is sold by a plethora of other people.
If your anywhere near me come round and try the thing and if you like it
take it away-I now have the big boys version.

Was going to suggest the same thing Trefor!
Go and see one and try it before buying or you'll have to lug the Cooper
one down to the post office f you want to return it.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 21 May 2007 22:21:18 +0100, "Trefor Jones"
wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a rotary soil sieve from Coopers of Storford to speed
up the my compost sieveing. Has anybody any experience of these ? Are they
robust enough for about 1 m3 of compost a year? Any comments appreciated.
Trefor

In Central Europe the sieving was done by simply throwing compost, etc
against an appropriate mesh stretched on a frame. Say 2'6" wide x 3'
tall. Propped at an angle, say 30 degrees from vertical, or less. The
angle will also affect the size of particles falling through the
sieve. The material rolls down the sieve by gravity, separating into
two heaps.

At present I get my back aching annually - I use a hand held and hand
shaken circular plastic sieve. I am thinking somehow to make it
vibrate by attaching a recycled (partially busted) orbital sander to
it. Only an idea at this stage!

I garden in N Staffs., producing about 2 m3 compost a year and sieving
about a half of it, mainly for ring culture of tomatos & general
potting.