Old 22-05-2007, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Jackdaw chicks

Mercifully, unlike Judith, I can do nothing about my birdie predicament. I
have jackdaws nesting on top of the chimney of my study fireplace. The
noises are raucous, to put it mildly but they're beginning to worry both
grandchild and dogs. Sometimes it's just a general susurration but
occasionally a real "the pub's just turned out" fight appears to be going
on. The grandchild is convinced they're all going to come crashing down the
chimney and into this room and now has me worried, too and the dogs look as
if they hope they will! How many broods do jackdaws have and how long do
they take to rear and be gone on their merry way?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 22-05-2007, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip
All the local chimneys have jackdaws nesting in them.

The
noises are raucous, to put it mildly but they're beginning to worry both
grandchild and dogs. Sometimes it's just a general susurration but
occasionally a real "the pub's just turned out" fight appears to be going
on.

Our chimneys all have jackdaws nesting in them and I agree the noise is
incredible, - fight fight fight - is the usual one at this time of year. My
bedroom is at the top of the house and one chimney is at the end so that
means one nest is just the other side of the wall, no alarm clocks are
needed indeed it sounds like someone is hurling brick`s on the roof and the
chicks make a very odd whirring sound when food comes into sight. But for
all that I would miss them if they were not there, all part of natures rich
gifts or summat :-)

kate

Old 22-05-2007, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/5/07 22:18, in article
, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

[...]

Oh, I would hate to be rid of them - I love them. But the amazing amount of
noise and the occasional "whoops Charlie nearly went down the chimney then"
sort of carry on does alarm me for their sakes as well as mine. On another
chimney, now cowled, one fell down a few years ago into the dining room and
broke a lot of old and very loved Venetian glass, while flapping at the
window to find a way out. The most they could do in here is befoul my
computer and wreck that. Tsk!

Old 22-05-2007, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/5/07 21:27, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Tue, 22 May 2007 18:14:26 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Mercifully, unlike Judith, I can do nothing about my birdie predicament. I
have jackdaws nesting on top of the chimney of my study fireplace.

All the local chimneys have jackdaws nesting in them.

The
noises are raucous, to put it mildly but they're beginning to worry both
grandchild and dogs. Sometimes it's just a general susurration but
occasionally a real "the pub's just turned out" fight appears to be going
on.

Their dawn chorus drowns out planes landing at Schiphol. We have a pigeon
nesting in a chestnut tree that is about 10 feet from our bedroom window. It
makes odd snoring noises.
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Album=WDUWUDHI

Patricia Atkinson writes about an owl doing that, in one of her books. We
had a wood pigeon that perched in the rose right outside our bedroom window
this year and last and which woke us every morning with that idiotic noise
they make. When we then opened the window further or shut it altogether,
there would be a panicky and indignant clatter of wings as the pigeon took
off in fright.

Old 23-05-2007, 06:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 May, 18:14, Sacha wrote:
Mercifully, unlike Judith, I can do nothing about my birdie predicament. I
have jackdaws nesting on top of the chimney of my study fireplace. The
noises are raucous, to put it mildly but they're beginning to worry both
grandchild and dogs. Sometimes it's just a general susurration but
occasionally a real "the pub's just turned out" fight appears to be going
on. The grandchild is convinced they're all going to come crashing down the
chimney and into this room and now has me worried, too and the dogs look as
if they hope they will! How many broods do jackdaws have and how long do
they take to rear and be gone on their merry way?

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
(remove weeds from address)

Sacha, did you get an answer as to how long they would be there for?
Regards, dnw.

Old 23-05-2007, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip
No. ;-) But swapping jackdaw tales is quite interesting. Do you have the
answer because funnily enough, they've gone quiet today!

--
Sacha

Now you mention it ours are pretty quiet, maybe its the sunshine :-)

kate

Old 23-05-2007, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/5/07 16:08, in article
, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

snip
No. ;-) But swapping jackdaw tales is quite interesting. Do you have the
answer because funnily enough, they've gone quiet today!

--
Sacha

Now you mention it ours are pretty quiet, maybe its the sunshine :-)

kate

Or launch day? ;-) There isn't a sound coming down the chimney - they must
have read my post!

Old 24-05-2007, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I dont know why it was so quiet yesterday but they are all back this morning
as noisy and funny as ever :-)

kate

Old 24-05-2007, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/5/07 08:04, in article
, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

I dont know why it was so quiet yesterday but they are all back this morning
as noisy and funny as ever :-)

kate

Something came back last night because I heard the wings flapping briefly
but other than that, no noise, other than a tiny 'chuck' just now.

hens chicks? chaz Gardening 5 17-07-2006 07:36 PM
OT clearing jackdaw`s nest Kate Morgan United Kingdom 91 13-11-2005 01:58 PM
Fancy Baby chicks available Mon or Tues eve ONLY laurie \(Mother Mastiff\) North Carolina 0 02-05-2005 06:28 AM
Newbie: Help !! Magpie ate my blackbird chicks !! john.morgan United Kingdom 3 22-07-2004 06:18 PM
Hen and Chicks Growth Brent Gardening 3 18-07-2004 04:02 AM