Old 07-06-2007, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rabbits!!

Hi
I seem to have tried everything to keep rabbits out of the
vegetable patch. Anyone got any realistic suggestions.

Ian
Old 07-06-2007, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 10:10:48 +0100, Ian Pollard wrote:

I seem to have tried everything to keep rabbits out of the vegetable
patch. Anyone got any realistic suggestions.

A fence 3' high with no gaps greater than 2" and nothing close by for them
to jump on to and over the fence should keep 'em out. They will push under
a wire fence so bury the bottom by about a foot to 18" and bring the edge
out by another foot in case they try to dig under.

Veggies |
--------+------ Ground Level

+---

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 07-06-2007, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Some ideas here http://tinyurl.com/36nqxo

Old 07-06-2007, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I seem to have tried everything to keep rabbits out of the
vegetable patch. Anyone got any realistic suggestions.

Ian

We live in open countryside surrounded by fields and lots and lots of
rabbits. The neighbours plants have been demolished by rabbits but we never
have any problems as I surrounded the veg plot with wire mesh fencing. It is
four feet high with a foot buried below ground level. So far it is doing a
good job. I've even seen rabbits lurking on the other side of the fence but
they have never penetrated it. I also save all the rocks that come up to the
surface while digging / rotovating the garden and put these at the base of
the wire fence (on the other side). This also seems to help deter the little
blighters from digging there.

David.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian Pollard" wrote in message
Hi
I seem to have tried everything to keep rabbits out of the
vegetable patch. Anyone got any realistic suggestions.

Ian

If you've tried everything I'm at a loss as to why a wire fence buried to a
depth of a foot didn't work.

Dave

Old 07-06-2007, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 10:10:48 +0100, Ian Pollard wrote:

I seem to have tried everything to keep rabbits out of the vegetable
patch. Anyone got any realistic suggestions.

A fence 3' high with no gaps greater than 2" and nothing close by for them
to jump on to and over the fence should keep 'em out. They will push under
a wire fence so bury the bottom by about a foot to 18" and bring the edge
out by another foot in case they try to dig under.

Veggies |
--------+------ Ground Level

+---

It is not necessary to bury the bottom bit. If you have the room,
outside your veg patch, to spare, simply bend the bottom bit towards
where the rabbits will be coming from, this stops them. I speak from
personal experience I have excluded rabbits this way from my garden. If
there is grass on this side of the fence cut it as short as possible
before laying the mesh, it will soon disappear in the grass.
It can work to be lazy. :-)
Old 07-06-2007, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian Pollard" wrote
I seem to have tried everything to keep rabbits out of the
vegetable patch. Anyone got any realistic suggestions.

A Rabbit fence as mentioned by others does work but you have to still be on
your guard and check at every visit for Rabbit activity. You also need to
keep the fence free of weeds so you can check your fences at a glance.

Of course, you are sure it's Rabbits and not Deer?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-06-2007, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Ian Pollard" wrote
I seem to have tried everything to keep rabbits out of the
vegetable patch. Anyone got any realistic suggestions.

A Rabbit fence as mentioned by others does work but you have to still be
on your guard and check at every visit for Rabbit activity. You also need
to keep the fence free of weeds so you can check your fences at a glance.

Of course, you are sure it's Rabbits and not Deer?

Regards
Bob Hobden

How high would a fence have to be to keep deer out?
Jenny

Old 07-06-2007, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 19:00:34 +0200, JennyC wrote:

How high would a fence have to be to keep deer out?

About 10 feet...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 07-06-2007, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote after...

"Bob Hobden" replied to "Ian Pollard" who asked
I seem to have tried everything to keep rabbits out of the
vegetable patch. Anyone got any realistic suggestions.

A Rabbit fence as mentioned by others does work but you have to still be
on your guard and check at every visit for Rabbit activity. You also need
to keep the fence free of weeds so you can check your fences at a glance.

Of course, you are sure it's Rabbits and not Deer?

How high would a fence have to be to keep deer out?

Depends on the type, Muntjac (also known as Barking Deer) can't jump as high
as some larger species.
Most Deer fences I've seen are 6ft tall.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 09-06-2007, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian Pollard" wrote in message
Hi
I seem to have tried everything to keep rabbits out of the
vegetable patch. Anyone got any realistic suggestions.

Have you tried an electric fence, about 1000 volts should be quite
effective!

Old 09-06-2007, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Ian Pollard" wrote in message
Hi
I seem to have tried everything to keep rabbits out of the
vegetable patch. Anyone got any realistic suggestions.

Have you tried an electric fence, about 1000 volts should be quite
effective!

At one house I lived at briefly there was a nuisance cat and the neighbours
from hell - it was alleged the neighbour had a habit of "visiting" peoples
houses and sheds at night when nobody was around and returning via jumping
over a wall and over our garden. A bit naughty I know but a bare wire with
240 volts stretched across the garden and I never saw the cat there again.
The nocturnal shortcuts across our garden also stopped :-)

David.

Rabbits, rabbits everywhere wind'n'stone United Kingdom 4 22-05-2008 08:15 PM
Rabbits Y United Kingdom 4 19-11-2003 06:03 PM
Rabbits and lawn fertilization Sigurd Kallhovde Lawns 0 12-10-2003 11:22 PM
rabbits and "burning bush" Jim Moran Lawns 5 19-03-2003 12:44 AM
Rabbits! John Hutchison United Kingdom 18 03-03-2003 03:24 AM