Old 12-06-2007, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Laurel Hedge

Hi,

A couple of months ago I cut back my Laurel 'hedge' in both height and
depth. All was well until this week - I thought it was getting some new
leaves but, upon close inspection I see that many of the leaves are turning
white and/or brown and shrivelling up.

You can see examples in some photos I have taken: http://tinyurl.com/2pgsya

Can anybody shed any light on what is going here?

Thanks in advance,

Kroma

PS I *think* it's a laurel! It was here when I moved in 2 years ago and has
been healthy up to now.

Old 13-06-2007, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kroma" wrote in message
Hi,

A couple of months ago I cut back my Laurel 'hedge' in both height and
depth. All was well until this week - I thought it was getting some new
leaves but, upon close inspection I see that many of the leaves are

turning
white and/or brown and shrivelling up.

You can see examples in some photos I have taken:

http://tinyurl.com/2pgsya

Can anybody shed any light on what is going here?

Thanks in advance,

Kroma

PS I *think* it's a laurel! It was here when I moved in 2 years ago and

has
been healthy up to now.

Your laurel will grow out of it, it is just a spot of mildew.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 13-06-2007, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kroma" wrote in message

PS I *think* it's a laurel! It was here when I moved in 2 years ago and
has been healthy up to now.

So, it may be Laurel but it's definitely Hardy?

--
Brian

Old 13-06-2007, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Charlie Pridham writes

"Kroma" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

A couple of months ago I cut back my Laurel 'hedge' in both height and
depth. All was well until this week - I thought it was getting some new
leaves but, upon close inspection I see that many of the leaves are

turning
white and/or brown and shrivelling up.

You can see examples in some photos I have taken:

http://tinyurl.com/2pgsya

Can anybody shed any light on what is going here?

Thanks in advance,

Kroma

PS I *think* it's a laurel! It was here when I moved in 2 years ago and

has
been healthy up to now.

Your laurel will grow out of it, it is just a spot of mildew.

Possibly because the ground is a bit dry at the moment.
--
Kay
Old 13-06-2007, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kroma" wrote in message
Hi,

A couple of months ago I cut back my Laurel 'hedge' in both height and
depth. All was well until this week - I thought it was getting some

new
leaves but, upon close inspection I see that many of the leaves are

turning
white and/or brown and shrivelling up.

You can see examples in some photos I have taken:

http://tinyurl.com/2pgsya

Can anybody shed any light on what is going here?

Thanks in advance,

Kroma

PS I *think* it's a laurel! It was here when I moved in 2 years ago

and has
been healthy up to now.

Some relevant advice he
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...aurel_leaf.asp

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 13-06-2007, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 13, 4:19 pm, K wrote:
Charlie Pridham writes

"Kroma" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

A couple of months ago I cut back my Laurel 'hedge' in both height and
depth. All was well until this week - I thought it was getting some new
leaves but, upon close inspection I see that many of the leaves are

turning
white and/or brown and shrivelling up.

You can see examples in some photos I have taken:

http://tinyurl.com/2pgsya

Can anybody shed any light on what is going here?

Thanks in advance,

Kroma

PS I *think* it's a laurel! It was here when I moved in 2 years ago and

has
been healthy up to now.

Your laurel will grow out of it, it is just a spot of mildew.

Possibly because the ground is a bit dry at the moment.

This happens every July when ours is cut back, it always recovers and
grows back twice as thick within a month. We have ours professionally
cu; it borders the front and one side of the property and it's quite a
big job. The gardener got blisters on his hands last year after
cutting it and this year he wore tough gloves, I belive there is
something nasty in the sap?

Judith

Old 13-06-2007, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

" writes
This happens every July when ours is cut back, it always recovers and
grows back twice as thick within a month. We have ours professionally
cu; it borders the front and one side of the property and it's quite a
big job. The gardener got blisters on his hands last year after
cutting it and this year he wore tough gloves, I belive there is
something nasty in the sap?

I've just had to do some major cutting back of a laurel tree. The smell
of marzipan was quite strong ;-)
--
Kay