Old 15-06-2007, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grumpy hedgehog

Couple of days ago I went to the wood pile in the barn and was confronted by
a Hedgehog, not unusual in itself as they often hibernate in there, but this
one did not freeze or roll up but kept advancing snorting as it came. Fair
enough I thought and retreated! Next day I made another trip to get what I
had gone for previously, and met the Hedgehog again, hell of a racket was
going on and I realised it was a mum feeding babies, out in the open, most
unusual to see them so young, normally we don't get to see them until mum
takes them on patrol, and I have never been sure where they nest.
I did not have the nerve to disturb them again with the camera and I think
they have now moved elsewhere as I have now retrieved the box I was after
and there is no more noise. :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 15-06-2007, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

Couple of days ago I went to the wood pile in the barn and was confronted by
a Hedgehog, not unusual in itself as they often hibernate in there, but this
one did not freeze or roll up but kept advancing snorting as it came. Fair
enough I thought and retreated! Next day I made another trip to get what I
had gone for previously, and met the Hedgehog again, hell of a racket was
going on and I realised it was a mum feeding babies, out in the open, most
unusual to see them so young, normally we don't get to see them until mum
takes them on patrol, and I have never been sure where they nest.
I did not have the nerve to disturb them again with the camera and I think
they have now moved elsewhere as I have now retrieved the box I was after
and there is no more noise. :~)

How interesting...

Talking fo hedghogs - I went to visit my daughter this afternoon and
found a hedgehog on the grass in the sun next to her front path. It did
not look at all well and certianly made no attempt to curl up or move
away. We tried putting a dish with some water in next to it but no
response so I rang the RSPCA who said they would send someone.
Unfortunately we had to go out, first to collect my grandaughter from
school and then shopping. After the school run we discoverd the hedghog
had moved closer to the house, but still exposed. After the shopping
trip it was missing altogether but of course we don't know if it made
it's way home or if it had been collected. I wish I had stayed around
now to keep an eye on it. It was not responsive to people, just opened
and shut its eyes a few times and looked like it was having difficulty
keeping it's head up. A neighbour suggested that with the wet weather
it may have eaten too many poisoned slugs and of course it's home may
have been flooded out.

Beryl
Old 15-06-2007, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote ...
Couple of days ago I went to the wood pile in the barn and was confronted
by
a Hedgehog, not unusual in itself as they often hibernate in there, but
this
one did not freeze or roll up but kept advancing snorting as it came. Fair
enough I thought and retreated! Next day I made another trip to get what I
had gone for previously, and met the Hedgehog again, hell of a racket was
going on and I realised it was a mum feeding babies, out in the open, most
unusual to see them so young, normally we don't get to see them until mum
takes them on patrol, and I have never been sure where they nest.
I did not have the nerve to disturb them again with the camera and I think
they have now moved elsewhere as I have now retrieved the box I was after
and there is no more noise. :~)

It's only when you have an encounter like that that you realise why the got
the name Hedge-hog, they sound just like a pig. The first time I heard them
was when two were having a right barny in my garden late at night and I went
to investigate, rather nervously. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-06-2007, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote ...
[...]

Met it again last night on our way around the garden at 7pm still sunny, and
again it saw off the dog and made us feel like trespassers in our own
garden! No sign of the young, but I have several hedgehog "houses" hidden
around the garden so I expect they are not far away.

Old 16-06-2007, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Beryl Harwood" wrote in message
[...]

We have a lot of Hedgehogs and occasionally find them like you describe, we
have a friend in the village who is a vet pathologist and he has determined
that they have often been struck glancing blows by vehicles, but
occasionally have a respiratory disease. Always sad to see, but the one in
question was in rude good health and willing to take on all comers!

Old 16-06-2007, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote ...
[...]

how have you constructed your hedgehog 'houses'?

rob

Old 17-06-2007, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Met it again last night on our way around the garden at 7pm still sunny,

and
again it saw off the dog and made us feel like trespassers in our own
garden! No sign of the young, but I have several hedgehog "houses"

hidden
around the garden so I expect they are not far away.

how have you constructed your hedgehog 'houses'?

rob

They are made of that plastic stuff they sometimes make cardboard fruit
boxes from, bent to make a half tube then covered with bits of stick/logs so
you cant see it.
Just helps to make things dry and they seem to like them.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

elwessii grumpy snowdrop md11 Marketplace 0 17-12-2011 09:05 PM
Old Grumpy's Guide to Gooseberry Gathering The Weary Gardener United Kingdom 2 08-07-2010 03:23 PM
do not associate slightly while you're flying past a grumpy video Mohammar Hakim Amin Ponds 0 18-11-2007 06:33 PM
WARNING. Mlck Manford is working for SNH The Hedgehog and other wildlife killers. Martin Rand United Kingdom 2 02-05-2003 11:56 AM
Speaking of Hogs, when did you see your last hedgehog? Annabel United Kingdom 19 07-04-2003 11:08 AM