Old 29-06-2007, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default aspidistra

Dear All,
I have a 30 year aspadistra. It did not have a happy year last year what
with heat and insect attack. It has put up no new leave this year. Any
suggestions on how I can save it. Would splitting be useful and how would I
do this.
Thanks Neil

Old 29-06-2007, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 18:09:45 +0100, "Neil Smith"
wrote:

Dear All,
I have a 30 year aspadistra. It did not have a happy year last year what
with heat and insect attack. It has put up no new leave this year. Any
suggestions on how I can save it. Would splitting be useful and how would I
do this.
Thanks Neil

Mine (only about 15 years old!) has been looking sad recently, in the
same place it's been in for ages. I decided to repot it, with some
good compost and am now crossing my fingers. I did notice some new
shoots around the edge so maybe some new leaves will come.
It might be worth you doing the same thing, if it has been in the same
pot and compost for some years.

Pam in Bristol
Old 29-06-2007, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Neil Smith" wrote
I have a 30 year aspadistra. It did not have a happy year last year what
with heat and insect attack. It has put up no new leave this year. Any
suggestions on how I can save it. Would splitting be useful and how would
I do this.

We have one, well it's more than one now, that has been in Sue's family for
probably 150 years. I find if they are repotted into JI No.3 or even a
multipurpose they burst into life. Most of our one is now outside in our
garden where it is doing well planted in semi shade underneath trees, been
outside for some years now. Yet another large clump is in a neighbours
garden in a similar position.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 30-06-2007, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Bob Hobden wrote:

We have one, well it's more than one now, that has been in Sue's family for
probably 150 years. I find if they are repotted into JI No.3 or even a
multipurpose they burst into life. Most of our one is now outside in our
garden where it is doing well planted in semi shade underneath trees, been
outside for some years now. Yet another large clump is in a neighbours
garden in a similar position.

For a 'pot plant', Aspidistra elatior makes a remarkably good garden
plant as well. I have a clump that must be 40 years old and has
followed me around since I was in my teens. It can tolerate a fair
degree of prolonged cold if grown in shade or semi-shade and grows far
better outside the confines of pots filled with degenerated, years-old
potting compost. In half decent garden soil it flourishes with a
degree of luxuriance rarely exhibited by those dusty, tired old things
indoors and can look quite magnificent if planted in association with
ferns such as the hardier maiden-hairs. The only drawback is that the
older leaves provide a perfect launchpad for snails while they await
the arrival of new leaves, which are then attacked with great
enthusiasm.

If Aspidistra is to remain indoors, the old compost should be gently
shaken from the roots and replaced with fresh every 3 - 4 years. The
root system is not extensive nor particularly delicate so you can
shake in the new compost with relative ease. A loam based compost
such as John Innes no 2 or 3, lightened with additional perlite or
coarse horticultural sand (incorporate about 10% by volume) is best.
Multi-purpose composts deteriorate very badly after several months and
are less than useless for long-lived plants. While it is true that
Aspidistras appear to grow in almost any old rubbish, that does not
mean you should abuse such tolerance. Give them decent treatment and
monthly applications of a well balanced liquid fertiliser and they
will produce plenty of large, glossy leaves every year.

Old 30-06-2007, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The plant fills a very large pot. How do you slpit it? There us no sign of
new growth.
Thanks for your advice

Old 30-06-2007, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Neil Smith wrote:

The plant fills a very large pot. How do you slpit it? There us no sign of
new growth.

Very, *very* easy Neil. Your plant consists of a network of thick,
rhizomes (horizontal, underground stems) from which the leaves arise
along their length. Just slice down through the plant, making sure
that each portion has plenty of rhizomes and roots. Pot them up and
that's it. If you wanted a lot of plants, you could shake all of the
old compost away and cut the rhizomes up into section with one or two
leaves each. Pot them up and in a couple of years you can start
selling them.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 12:43:35 +0100, "Neil Smith"
wrote:

The plant fills a very large pot. How do you slpit it? There us no sign of
new growth.

I would take it out of the big pot and cut the root-ball into 2, 4
pieces etc, cutting as much between leaves as you can. You can cut it
with an old bread knife or similar. Give the pieces more room in new
pots and new soil and there soon will be new growth.
Have you ever seen it flower?

Pam in Bristol

Variegated Aspidistra jaycee United Kingdom 1 28-07-2008 01:38 PM
Aspidistra Celeste Evans Texas 1 09-05-2005 02:58 PM
Aspidistra care Phisherman Gardening 0 21-12-2003 09:02 PM