Old 06-07-2007, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cauliflower

"Carol Hague" wrote in message
My cauliflowers got badly eaten earlier this year, by some sort of
caterpillar, I think.

But one of them remained undaunted and has produced this fine specimen
:-

http://pics.livejournal.com/cat63/pic/0000zre4

:-)

--
Carol
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put

Good grief, are both your hands that size, or is it just your left? :-)
Chris S

Old 07-07-2007, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris S" wrote in message

"Carol Hague" wrote in message
My cauliflowers got badly eaten earlier this year, by some sort of
caterpillar, I think.

But one of them remained undaunted and has produced this fine specimen
:-

http://pics.livejournal.com/cat63/pic/0000zre4

:-)

Good grief, are both your hands that size, or is it just your left? :-)
Chris S

LOL!

I put a 20p piece on each of my pictures for scale, it wasn't my idea
though.

Mary

Old 07-07-2007, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris S wrote:

"Carol Hague" wrote in message
My cauliflowers got badly eaten earlier this year, by some sort of
caterpillar, I think.

But one of them remained undaunted and has produced this fine specimen
:-

http://pics.livejournal.com/cat63/pic/0000zre4

Good grief, are both your hands that size, or is it just your left? :-)

Silly Boy :-)

I borrowed it from Kenny Everett of course :-)
Old 07-07-2007, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Carol Hague wrote:
Chris S wrote:

"Carol Hague" wrote in message
My cauliflowers got badly eaten earlier this year, by some sort of
caterpillar, I think.

But one of them remained undaunted and has produced this fine specimen
:-

http://pics.livejournal.com/cat63/pic/0000zre4

Good grief, are both your hands that size, or is it just your left? :-)

Silly Boy :-)

I borrowed it from Kenny Everett of course :-)

Ok, enough jokes! Mine are very similar, though my cabbage, as they seem
to, are bigger than we can eat in 2 meals. So where are we going wrong,
how do you grow caulies with large white curds, come on, you are experts
are you not?
Old 07-07-2007, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote ...

Ok, enough jokes! Mine are very similar, though my cabbage, as they seem
to, are bigger than we can eat in 2 meals. So where are we going wrong,
how do you grow caulies with large white curds, come on, you are experts
are you not?

The winter growing ones that crop in ,say, April are the easiest in my
experience. Always get a good crop of nice heads and because it's winter
they don't have any meat in them either. (Walcheren Winter Armardo April or
similar)
The summer ones are always a fight as to who eats it first, us or the pests,
and we often do get one or two that seem to stop growing and remain tiny.
I've always put it down to lack of water at some point but that cannot be
the problem anywhere in the UK this year.
Cauliflowers hate a "stop" to growth so has something checked their growth
this year other than lack of water, cold perhaps or didn't plant them out
quick enough?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-07-2007, 01:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 15:37:25 +0100, Carol Hague wrote:

My cauliflowers got badly eaten earlier this year, by some sort of
caterpillar, I think.

Me too - I've never tried to grow caulis before so I am Sore Disappointed.
What baffles me is that the caulis are in one raised bed, and the brussels
sprouts are in an adjacent raised bed. Caulis have been all but
annihilated, whereas brussels are effectively unscathed and growing like
mad things.

Given they are both brassica, can anyone hazard a guess as to the
differential coefficient of pest damage?

Andy

--
spargeatbtinternetdotcom

FWIW(NVM),IMO(NVH)...
Old 12-07-2007, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Andy Spragg wrote:

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 15:37:25 +0100, Carol Hague wrote:

My cauliflowers got badly eaten earlier this year, by some sort of
caterpillar, I think.

Me too - I've never tried to grow caulis before so I am Sore Disappointed.
What baffles me is that the caulis are in one raised bed, and the brussels
sprouts are in an adjacent raised bed. Caulis have been all but
annihilated, whereas brussels are effectively unscathed and growing like
mad things.

Given they are both brassica, can anyone hazard a guess as to the
differential coefficient of pest damage?

Lazy butterflies ? :-)

It does seem odd though. On my allotment the cabbages were affected too,
albeit not as badly as the cauliflowers and they've recovered better for
the most part.

I didn't have any sprouts in at the time (they couldn't be arsed to
germinate even) so I can't help with any info there.