Old 10-07-2007, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Supplier of climbing geraniums wanted

OK, OK, they're not geraniums, and they don't climb unaided, but YKWIM
(trailing, ivy-leaved pelargoniums if you don't, except that I want to
train them up a wall, not grow them in a hanging basket, so I think
I'm after longer-jointed varieties rather than short-jointed ones).

Can anyone recommend an on-line supplier who does mail order?

--
Chris

Old 10-07-2007, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote OK, OK, they're not geraniums, and they don't climb
unaided, but YKWIM
(trailing, ivy-leaved pelargoniums if you don't, except that I want to
train them up a wall, not grow them in a hanging basket, so I think
I'm after longer-jointed varieties rather than short-jointed ones).

Can anyone recommend an on-line supplier who does mail order?

http://www.geraniumsuk.com/

I have not bought mail order from them only by visiting the nursery.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-07-2007, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:51:33 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 10/7/07 18:03, in article ,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

OK, OK, they're not geraniums, and they don't climb unaided, but YKWIM
(trailing, ivy-leaved pelargoniums if you don't, except that I want to
train them up a wall, not grow them in a hanging basket, so I think
I'm after longer-jointed varieties rather than short-jointed ones).

Can anyone recommend an on-line supplier who does mail order?

Chris, I do know what you mean but I think what you're looking for is a
vigorous ivy leafed pelargonium to which you will give some trellis
assistance. And a lot will depend on shelter and climate. My son's garden
has one growing up to bedroom window sill level - probably about 18 feet but
that's in the warm corner of two walls and in the CIs. All I can tell you
is that it's pink and has been there for 15 years. My husband took some
cuttings from it and we're going to experiment with it ourselves. If I can
find the photos and a site to post to, I'll do so.

Thanks Sacha. There is a similar one growing up the front wall of a
cottage in the village of Lelant, near St. Ives, down here in west
Cornwall. It goes right to the eaves, and must cover at least a
quarter of the front of the cottage. It's in full flower ATM, a mass
of silvery pink. Wonderful! It could be Mme. Crousse, which I read is
an old favorite, double pink, popular and ideal for growing up
sheltered walls in sunny situations. If all else fails, I shall knock
on their door in a few weeks and beg a cutting.

All the nurseries hereabouts have loads of regals, zonals, scented
leaved types and ivy leaved varieties that are suitable for hanging
baskets, but can I get the longer-jointed varieties for training up
walls? Can I heck!

--
Chris

Old 11-07-2007, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:51:05 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote OK, OK, they're not geraniums, and they don't climb
unaided, but YKWIM
(trailing, ivy-leaved pelargoniums if you don't, except that I want to
train them up a wall, not grow them in a hanging basket, so I think
I'm after longer-jointed varieties rather than short-jointed ones).

Can anyone recommend an on-line supplier who does mail order?

http://www.geraniumsuk.com/

I have not bought mail order from them only by visiting the nursery.

Thanks Bob, that's just what I'm looking for.

--
Chris

Old 11-07-2007, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote OK, OK, they're not geraniums, and they don't climb
unaided, but YKWIM
(trailing, ivy-leaved pelargoniums if you don't, except that I want to
train them up a wall, not grow them in a hanging basket, so I think
I'm after longer-jointed varieties rather than short-jointed ones).

Can anyone recommend an on-line supplier who does mail order?

http://www.geraniumsuk.com/

I have not bought mail order from them only by visiting the nursery.

Thanks Bob, that's just what I'm looking for.

Having said that, they don't seem to do ivy-leaved types, but I've
found the following who do. http://www.fibrex.co.uk/index.asp

--
Chris

Old 20-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hogg View Post
OK, OK, they're not geraniums, and they don't climb unaided, but YKWIM
(trailing, ivy-leaved pelargoniums if you don't, except that I want to
train them up a wall, not grow them in a hanging basket, so I think
I'm after longer-jointed varieties rather than short-jointed ones).

Can anyone recommend an on-line supplier who does mail order?

--
Chris

Hi Chris,

There are a couple of online suppliers he

www.geraniums.gingerbullet.co.uk

Thompson & Morgan is on there too and they're very good.

Good luck,

David