Old 15-07-2007, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default "Tomorite"

louisxiv wrote:
"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
"judith" wrote in message
I always feed my tomatoes and invariably buy Tomorite - which always
appears to be more expensive than alternatives.

I'd be interested in other's views of the alternatives B&Q own etc -
or is it even feasible to make up your own from basic materials?

You do not say how well your tomatoes fare on Tomerite. It is regarded
as a well balanced tomato feed and one which I always used to very good
effect. It's a bit like making a curry. I put my faith in an expert
and use sauce from a jar rather than spend hours doing my own mix and
probably failing. Basic materials cost quite a lot and they degrade
over time.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Sauce from a jar, huh? And you expect us to take your gardening advice
seriously?! ;-)

Most of my sauce comes out of a bottle!! ;-)
Old 15-07-2007, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

judith wrote:

The answer to your question as why Tomerite (mine was £3.49) is so
expensive, is that it is a liquid. You are mostly paying for water.
Phostrogen is a quarter of the price, and just as good.

That is excellent - well done sir - just what I wanted

Yes. Just stick to good ole Phostrogen. The only thing is that it tends
to cause big leaves with Toms. I'd buy a bag of potash from the garden
centre, and add a small pinch of that to the phostrogen, every 2 or 3
waterings.
Old 17-07-2007, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 22:20:55 +0100, Sam wrote and
included this (or some of this):

Tomorite is inorganic isn't it ?
You may as well buy your tomatoes in the Supermarket.
Choose the very best heritage varieties and grow them organically.
Mine grow on organic soil in good heart, and are fed
liquid seaweed extract.The result is a tomato without equal.

Mine grow in greenhouse soil (well-sterilised) then liberally laced
with 6X. (Concentrated natural fertiliser, 3 bags in an 8x10'
greenhouse)
I wash in a bit more 6X when fruiting starts to set and I water in
All-Purpose Miracle-Gro once or twice a week.
I'm well happy with the yields and especially with the taste.
(11 varieties, 18 plants in total)

The cucumbers love it, too (I've picked about 30 from 3 plants so far)

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³

Tomorite Bargain Judith in England United Kingdom 20 22-08-2014 03:34 PM
Tis better to be Gills "Chew Toy" than one of Roy "Tristain" Hauer's "SOCKS" Tristan Ponds 0 03-01-2007 02:39 PM
Tomorite? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 8 27-06-2006 11:10 AM
Small tractor With "Briggs@Stratton"EngineType "Farmers Boy" Alfsilver1 Gardening 0 30-01-2003 10:14 AM
"Healthy Forests" or "Healthy Forest Corporations"? Larry Harrell alt.forestry 2 26-10-2002 06:58 AM