Old 16-07-2007, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How to Secure Black Plastic over Soil of Raised Beds?

Now that the mangetout has finished and I have removed the blight infested
tomatoes, I have some bare area areas in my raised beds which I would
temporary like to cover with black plastic to prevent weeds and protect the
soil structure from rain.

Does anyone have a method for securing the plastic over the soil of a raised
bed in such a way that it looks reasonably attractive?

thanks, Davy

Old 16-07-2007, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Davy" wrote in message
om...
Now that the mangetout has finished and I have removed the blight infested
tomatoes, I have some bare area areas in my raised beds which I would
temporary like to cover with black plastic to prevent weeds and protect
the
soil structure from rain.

Does anyone have a method for securing the plastic over the soil of a
raised
bed in such a way that it looks reasonably attractive?

thanks,

Davy
Use pea gravel then you could stand planted up flower pots on it to
brighten it more.

Geoff

Old 16-07-2007, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day davy,

would a good layer of mulch do the same job with the extra benefit as
it breaks down it will be adding nutrients plus it will insulate the
soil so the structure remains healthier?

spoilt hay or sugar cane mulch whatever is available locally should do
the trick.

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:52:33 +0100, "Davy"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 17-07-2007, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I'm interested in this method, but how does one water the plants?

I want to construct a strawberry bed.

I have an eight by four foot raised bed of strawberries. Di not use plastic
sheeting, do as I did, use porous sheeting, cut stots in the form of crosses
where you want the plants then surround them with peagravel. A ring of
copper wire at the edge of the bed will keep slugs and snails away I've been
told. We became tired of eating the pounds and pounds we had from our
plants to say nothing of the waistline and cream!!

Geoff

Old 17-07-2007, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Geoff" wrote in message
news

I'm interested in this method, but how does one water the plants?

I want to construct a strawberry bed.

I have an eight by four foot raised bed of strawberries. Di not use

plastic
sheeting, do as I did, use porous sheeting,

Gets my vote. Comes in several different thicknesses. Currently got a flower
bed covered with it waiting for more of my time. Seems to keep the weeds
down a treat. Elsewhere I've had nettles and bind weed pop up.