Old 26-07-2007, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomatoes, falling off

I am growing Shirley tomatoes , ring culture method in a greenhouse.
I have an abundance of tomatoes, just recently I have found odd ones
which are full size and are starting to ripen have fallen off.
There is evidence of slight rot where the tom is attached to the plant
which has caused it to fall off.
I cannot find any reference to this problem anywhere.
Any views please
Peter.

Old 26-07-2007, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter C" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am growing Shirley tomatoes , ring culture method in a greenhouse.
I have an abundance of tomatoes, just recently I have found odd ones
which are full size and are starting to ripen have fallen off.
There is evidence of slight rot where the tom is attached to the plant
which has caused it to fall off.
I cannot find any reference to this problem anywhere.
Any views please
Peter.

No.

My greenhouse tomatoes have good fruits but they're still green. My outdoor
tomatoes have few very green fruits.

Neighbour has four tomato plants crowded into a grow bag and housed in a
plastic 'greenhouse' which is in effect a sealed plastic bag. He's gone on
holiday and the tomatoes' environment is more than damp yet some leaves are
browning. There's no ventilation, he hasn't done any removal of side shoots
or leaves, it's just a tangle. Yet some of his Sungold ftuit (I gave him the
seedlings) are ready to pick.

Hrumph.

Mary

Old 26-07-2007, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 26, 6:34 pm, Peter C wrote:
I am growing Shirley tomatoes , ring culture method in a greenhouse.
I have an abundance of tomatoes, just recently I have found odd ones
which are full size and are starting to ripen have fallen off.
There is evidence of slight rot where the tom is attached to the plant
which has caused it to fall off.
I cannot find any reference to this problem anywhere.
Any views please

Peter this happened to us once last year. Ours are grown in the
greenhouse in huge pots, We think it is caused by underwatering and
then overwatering. We deduced this by going away overnight during a
hot spell, when we returned the leaves were a bit limp so I gave them
copious amounts of water. They started to ripen and then fell off,
not all just some, exactly with the same black bit of rot at the
stalk. The ones that did not fall off were outside ones.

This year I haven't had a red tomato yet although the crop is big and
healthy, usually I have made pickle by now.

Judith

Old 26-07-2007, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26 Jul, 20:44, "
wrote:
On Jul 26, 6:34 pm, Peter C wrote:

[...]

Thank you Judith, I am not aware I have neglected watering but on the
other hand I may have done due to the change in weather from am to pm.
This year one of my plants must have at least 50 mature tomatoes on ,
I have to tie them up. I have already had about 3 lbs off, delicious.
Peter.

Old 27-07-2007, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/7/07 23:47, in article
, "Peter C"
wrote:

On 26 Jul, 20:44, "
wrote:
On Jul 26, 6:34 pm, Peter C wrote:

[...]

Peter, I asked Ray about this. He used to grow toms commercially. He says
it's just lack of sun and the ability to ripen and that there really isn't
anything you can do about it. There simply have not been enough sun and
light hours in some areas to satisfy the needs of the fruit. His comment is
that everyone is talking about the amount of rain we've had but that they
don't mention the poor light levels. In terms of wet, lack of sun, low
light it's possibly the worst year for tomatoes in 40 years, he thinks.
Judith is absolutely right that an erratic watering regime is bad for toms
but this year, it's probably not the cause, especially if you're satisfied
that you've been watering normally and correctly.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-07-2007, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Jul, 10:52, Sacha wrote:
On 26/7/07 23:47, in article
. com, "Peter C"

wrote:
On 26 Jul, 20:44, "
wrote:
On Jul 26, 6:34 pm, Peter C wrote:

[...]

children.'- Hide quoted text -

Interesting point, (sods law) It was earlier in the year April time
when I put the young plants in and we had too much sun. I used
'Coolglass shading' to keep some of the sun out .
Regards
Peter.

Old 27-07-2007, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/7/07 16:15, in article
, "Peter C"
wrote:

On 27 Jul, 10:52, Sacha wrote:
On 26/7/07 23:47, in article
. com, "Peter C"

wrote:
On 26 Jul, 20:44, "
wrote:
On Jul 26, 6:34 pm, Peter C wrote:

[...]

There are times when much of gardening is Sod's Law and this year seems to
be one of them. In a free monthly magazine about gardens and gardening,
which we get here to distribute to customers, there are two articles this
month about drought loving plants and water conservation. Even the RHS mag.
has something along those lines. ;-)

Old 27-07-2007, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 27/7/07 16:15, in article
, "Peter C"
wrote:

On 27 Jul, 10:52, Sacha wrote:
On 26/7/07 23:47, in article
. com, "Peter C"

wrote:
On 26 Jul, 20:44, "
wrote:
On Jul 26, 6:34 pm, Peter C wrote:

[...]

Well my poor (greenhouse) toms are green and about the size of a sixpence,
so I guess there's no hope for them maturing at all. Do you think I should
just bin them now?

--
Regards
p.mc

Old 27-07-2007, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 19:25:45 +0100, "p.mc" wrote and
included this (or some of this):

Well my poor (greenhouse) toms are green and about the size of a sixpence,
so I guess there's no hope for them maturing at all. Do you think I should
just bin them now?

I should.

Plant some lettuce, radish etc

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³
Old 27-07-2007, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"p.mc" wrote in message

Well my poor (greenhouse) toms are green and about the size of a sixpence,
so I guess there's no hope for them maturing at all. Do you think I should
just bin them now?

NO!

Giv e them time.

Mary

Old 28-07-2007, 12:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Jul, 19:51, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"p.mc" wrote in message

Well my poor (greenhouse) toms are green and about the size of a sixpence,
so I guess there's no hope for them maturing at all. Do you think I should
just bin them now?

NO!

Giv e them time.

Mary

Despite an odd one falling off. I am lucky, one plant as at least 50
tomatoes on,quite a lot are in stages of ripening and I have sampled a
few ripe ones.
Peter