Old 01-08-2007, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Green potatoes

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
oups.com...

http://www.easthants.gov.uk/ehdc/foo...s/AdviceonRice

They really are not kidding. And anyway freshly cooked rice has better
texture.

But you can't *slice* freshly cooked rice, can you?

:-)

Old 01-08-2007, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
Martin Brown writes:

| Why shouldn't you reheat rice? I have been doing it for years.
|
| Most of the time you will get away with it, but on the occassion that
| you don't it is a potentially nasty form of poisoning as B. cereus
| spores can survive cooking and grow in slowly cooled rice (and it is
| rather slow to cool in bulk) are the toxins are thermally stable and
| not destroyed by reheating or cooking. Compared to its distant cousin
| B. anthracis (Anthrax) it is quite benign.

Thanks for the reminder of that particular piece of hysteria.

An almost infinitesimal chance of minor gutrot does not strike me as
grounds for such a draconian solution, most especially as rice isn't
all that much more likely to harbour it than any other food. Provided
that you don't leave it lurking for ages at room temperature, it isn't
likely to produce enough toxin to affect you.

And, both in frequency and severity, it is a LONG way down the causes
of gastroenteritis. See:

http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic213.htm

| Rice cooking safety
| instructions online at:
|
| http://www.easthants.gov.uk/ehdc/foo...s/AdviceonRice
|
| They really are not kidding.

They are, however, making a mountain out of a molehill, to the point
of being hysterical and even paranoid, as you would expect in this
country. For rather calmer descriptions from rather more authoritative
sources, see:

http://www.nzfsa.govt.nz/science/dat...lus-cereus.pdf
textbookofbacteriology.net/B.cereus.html

| And anyway freshly cooked rice has better texture.

Not for all dishes, and not everyone likes wasting food.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

"John Vanini" wrote in message
Thanks to all for your replies. My wife was adamant that she has
always cut off the green bit and I've never noticed!

I can't remember who it was on TV who said not to eat any of the
potato but he was so emphatic that I began to doubt my memory!

Oh dear, my wife's right again! One of these days it must be my turn!

Regards,

John

Spouse insists that on GQT he's heard that you must never, ever, eat
ANY raw beans. I say it's dried red beans (who would anyway?) but he
was reluctant to eat some very raw tender, slender runner beans last
week. He did and we're still here.

Amazing, innit!

Amazing. There is nothing better than raw young broad beans out of the
garden with the pods still on. I also reheat chili con carne which is a
week or so old, and has been only refrigerated. 10 minutes on 40% power in
the micro, then a minute on ful. I also reheat the rice, which you should
NEVER do.

However, I had serious Staph poisoning once a couple of years ago after
eating a pack of T E S C O (spits) young beans with sweetcorn, which I
washed, from Tanzania or somewhere like that.

Shame on you, admiting you have shoped at Tesco, go and stand in the corner!

Old 01-08-2007, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

However, I had serious Staph poisoning once a couple of years ago
after eating a pack of T E S C O (spits) young beans with sweetcorn,

Serves you right. Moral - don't shop at T*sc*.

I don't. I had watched Supersize Me the night before and decided to change
my nasty kebab/pie/chip-eating habits and have a healthy salad and the
only place local is a mini-T E S C O. I think I probably lost at least
half a stone in one jolly evening.

Never again. Nearest I've come to thinking my number was called.
Back on the elephant's leg kebab again now. Never hurt anyone.

Never tried that.

What, never had a genuine greasy Turk doner kebab from the van, large,
with extra chili sauce and all the veg? You haven't lived :-)

Just the thought of that would make me die!(:-)

Old 01-08-2007, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

Back on the elephant's leg kebab again now. Never hurt anyone.

Never tried that.

What, never had a genuine greasy Turk doner kebab from the van, large,
with extra chili sauce and all the veg?

Nope.

You haven't lived :-)

I'll stay unborn then :-)

Mary

Old 01-08-2007, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

They really are not kidding. And anyway freshly cooked rice has better
texture.

Well, it depends what you want to do with it.

And if you've inadvertently cooked too much should it be wasted? I'm not
allowed to give it to the hens according to the Rural Affairs (used to be
food and farming but they've obviously discovered something new) folk.

Mary

Old 01-08-2007, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Thanks for the reminder of that particular piece of hysteria.

An almost infinitesimal chance of minor gutrot does not strike me as
grounds for such a draconian solution, most especially as rice isn't
all that much more likely to harbour it than any other food. Provided
that you don't leave it lurking for ages at room temperature, it isn't
likely to produce enough toxin to affect you.

I suspect (having worked in a Chinese restaurant many years ago) that it was
aimed at commercial rice cookers. There were a lot of questionable practices
in those days :-(

Mary

Old 01-08-2007, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| Thanks for the reminder of that particular piece of hysteria.
|
| An almost infinitesimal chance of minor gutrot does not strike me as
| grounds for such a draconian solution, most especially as rice isn't
| all that much more likely to harbour it than any other food. Provided
| that you don't leave it lurking for ages at room temperature, it isn't
| likely to produce enough toxin to affect you.
|
| I suspect (having worked in a Chinese restaurant many years ago) that it was
| aimed at commercial rice cookers. There were a lot of questionable practices
| in those days :-(

Oh, yes. Sweet and sour rat, anyone? There apparently still are a
continual supply of catering establishments whose owners need beating
over the head but, given how many of those rules we ignore and the
negligible number of problems we get, I suspect that you have to go
overboard to trigger most of them.

Leaving ANY food out in an overheated, humid kitchen for hours or
days at a stretch is likely to cause some sort of trouble. Rice is
no exception, and does not need singling out.

What particular piece of hysteria causes Ruritanian Affaires to tell
you not to give rice to chickens, and does it apply only if you sell
the eggs?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi..

What, never had a genuine greasy Turk doner kebab from the
van, large, with extra chili sauce and all the veg?

Greasy? Here Turk doner kebab with an extra bonus of
shredded chilli is a weekly routine - but it has never been
greasy. Well I guess it was a mistake and the busy van
driver took some cart grease instead of chilli sauce. By
the way this is why we're used to prefer shredded
chillis.. ;-)
--
cu
Marco, who has survived all hot chilli attacks..
Old 01-08-2007, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

What particular piece of hysteria causes Ruritanian Affaires to tell
you not to give rice to chickens, and does it apply only if you sell
the eggs?

No.

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/ACAF00113.pdf

if you can be bothered, or

http://www.envirowise.gov.uk/page.as...t&o=MBEN4PBHR8

or, otherwise, we're not allowed to feed kitchen or catering waste (e.g.
carrot peelings, cooked rice, cheese parings) to any animal which is
normally kept for human consumption, even if it is only a pet.

So of course nobody, like me, with three bantams in her back garden would
dream of putting out bread crumbs for sparrows and preventing the hens from
getting at them - or allowing Zen, Gen and Rab to peck at a piece of cheese
or roast beef dropped from my sandwich when lunching in the garden. If I
hang up a few leaves of cabbage to amuse them which I've just cut from the
garden I THINK that's not a problem but if I strip similar leaves from a
cabbage in my kitchen I MUST NOT (on pain of something) allow the hens
anywhere near them.

And Mrs Italian Next Door is committing a cardinal sin by giving them cake
and biscuit crumbs for a treat because she knows that we don't eat such
things.

No. They must only be allowed to eat grain bought at the mill and worms,
spiders, flies, woodlice, snails (they're not fond of slugs), centipedes and
things they can see in the soil but my old eyes can't (went to the opticians
this morning and don't need new glasses).

And as everyone round here knows, I wouldn't break the law under any
circumstances.

In fact I can understand the law, bearing in mind BSE and F&M but ...

Mary

Old 01-08-2007, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
However, I had serious Staph poisoning once a couple of years ago after
eating a pack of T E S C O (spits) young beans with sweetcorn, which I
washed, from Tanzania or somewhere like that.

I've been eating their fresh peas raw and unwashed. No problems yet.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| What particular piece of hysteria causes Ruritanian Affaires to tell
| you not to give rice to chickens, and does it apply only if you sell
| the eggs?
|
| No.

Thank you for the information. As I said in another newsgroup, a pox
of Whitehall bureaucrats and a murrain of the mandarins. They can't
be inflicted with BSE, because they lack the brains to infect.

| http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/ACAF00113.pdf
|
| if you can be bothered, or
|
| http://www.envirowise.gov.uk/page.as...t&o=MBEN4PBHR8

Yuck. That is in a loathesome yellow on black, to make it almost
unreadable.

| or, otherwise, we're not allowed to feed kitchen or catering waste (e.g.
| carrot peelings, cooked rice, cheese parings) to any animal which is
| normally kept for human consumption, even if it is only a pet.

Indeed. The relevant references are

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1999/19990646.htm
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2001/20011704.htm

Actually, it doesn't apply to food waste from vegetarian households :-)

| In fact I can understand the law, bearing in mind BSE and F&M but ...

It is a case of demanding that every peasant nail their cat flaps shut,
after government negligence caused the horse to bolt from a corporate
stable.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

John Vanini wrote:

Recently, on a TV gardening program, however, we were told to throw away the
whole potato as it was all poisonous. However, in this day and age, I don't
trust everything I see and hear on TV.

There was an article about this in New Scientist a year or so ago. The
suggestion was that the whole potato would have higher levels of a toxin
that meant that it was better not to eat it. However IIRC you would need
to eat several stone of green potatoes before you would be in danger.

As other posters have suggested cutting off the green part and not
eating bitter tasting potatoes is probably a sensible approach. Pregnant
women, very small children and very old people might well avoid green
potatoes altogether.

Two official sources of advice on this, the CSIRO one (Australian govt
scientific research organisation) is much better than the UK one.

http://www.foodscience.csiro.au/spuds.htm

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/naturaltoxins

--
James Kemp
Old 02-08-2007, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks James,

That's where I got the information from - the "New Scientist". I couldn't
rememebr where but you've reminded me.

Thanks also for the websites - I'll havea look when I can.

Regards,

John

Old 02-08-2007, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin writes:

| Green potatoes contain a toxin that effects embryos.

See my posting of: 1 Aug 2007 10:01:14 GMT, with message id
.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Green potatoes Higgs Boson Gardening 118 05-07-2014 05:14 AM
green potatoes keith United Kingdom 14 06-08-2007 08:30 PM
Planting potatoes that turned Green Cal Mac United Kingdom 14 05-03-2006 11:28 PM
Green potatoes? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 6 28-08-2005 04:26 PM
green potatoes hillier United Kingdom 10 04-10-2004 07:17 PM