Old 05-08-2007, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default replacing box hedge

I'm fighting a losing battle against dogs urinating on my box hedging, at
the front of my garden, and making the plants die back.

The box hedging down the path is wonderful and indicates how nice the front
one would have been.

I was going to take the front ones up and replace them with Lonicera Nitida
Baggsen's Gold.

Would this fair better against the dogs?

TIA

Old 05-08-2007, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Draven" wrote in message
. uk...
I'm fighting a losing battle against dogs urinating on my box hedging, at
the front of my garden, and making the plants die back.

The box hedging down the path is wonderful and indicates how nice the
front one would have been.

I was going to take the front ones up and replace them with Lonicera
Nitida Baggsen's Gold.

Would this fair better against the dogs?

TIA

Had you thought of putting an electronic cat alarm there? It would have to
be placed away from public prying eyes, but if they keep the damn vermin
cats out of our garden :-) it might work with the dogs

'Could' you put one where not seen?

Worth a try

Mike

Old 05-08-2007, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Draven" wrote in message
. uk...
I'm fighting a losing battle against dogs urinating on my box hedging, at
the front of my garden, and making the plants die back.

The box hedging down the path is wonderful and indicates how nice the
front one would have been.

I was going to take the front ones up and replace them with Lonicera
Nitida Baggsen's Gold.

Would this fair better against the dogs?

TIA

Had you thought of putting an electronic cat alarm there? It would have to
be placed away from public prying eyes, but if they keep the damn vermin
cats out of our garden :-) it might work with the dogs

'Could' you put one where not seen?

Worth a try

Mike

Yeah I thought about this and it would work when the hedge was low. Thing is
it wouldn't work when the hedge is about 4 feet high unless the Ultrasonic
is on the other side of the hedge in which case it would be very visible and
would be stolen.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Draven" wrote in message
. uk...

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Draven" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

I gathered this might be the case when you said front garden and dogs,
assuming they were other people's dogs.

Oh well, back to the drawing board, sorry I can't help.

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 05-08-2007, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Draven wrote:

I'm fighting a losing battle against dogs urinating on my box hedging, at
the front of my garden, and making the plants die back.

I don't know about lonicera, but you can get a special powder (or even
an impregnated rope) to put on the ground which is supposed to repel
dogs when they try to mark their territory. It's usually bright yellow,
which may tell dog owners there is a problem somewhere.

I agree it's not the most elegant thing, but it would mean that at least
for a few months your box would be safe to grow back and once it's
really established it should withstand the assault more stoically.
Maybe at that time your local dogs will have gotten out of the habit of
visiting you as well.

Good luck.

Greg

--

No ficus = no spam

Old 06-08-2007, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Draven" wrote in message
. uk...
I'm fighting a losing battle against dogs urinating on my box hedging, at
the front of my garden, and making the plants die back.

The box hedging down the path is wonderful and indicates how nice the

front
one would have been.

I was going to take the front ones up and replace them with Lonicera

Nitida
Baggsen's Gold.

Would this fair better against the dogs?

My local poundshop has ultrasonic pest scarers. Not sure if they work on
dogs. Didn't read the instructions.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 16:27:21 +0100, "CWatters"
wrote:

"Draven" wrote in message
.uk...
I'm fighting a losing battle against dogs urinating on my box hedging, at
the front of my garden, and making the plants die back.

The box hedging down the path is wonderful and indicates how nice the

front
one would have been.

I was going to take the front ones up and replace them with Lonicera

Nitida
Baggsen's Gold.

Would this fair better against the dogs?

My local poundshop has ultrasonic pest scarers. Not sure if they work on
dogs. Didn't read the instructions.

They may attract dogs. Weren't the ultra sonic whistles were used to
call dogs?

Steve

--
Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

http://www.easynn.com
Old 06-08-2007, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin writes:

| An electric cattle fence thing would make them prick up their ears.

If they ****ed on it, they would prick up more than those!

Alternatively, you need something really spiny.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/8/07 08:47, in article ,
"Gill Matthews" Try the
wrote:

In article ,
says...

"Draven" wrote in message
. uk...
I'm fighting a losing battle against dogs urinating on my box hedging, at
the front of my garden, and making the plants die back.

The box hedging down the path is wonderful and indicates how nice the

front
one would have been.

I was going to take the front ones up and replace them with Lonicera

Nitida
Baggsen's Gold.

Would this fair better against the dogs?

I don't know about the dogs but i have found it difficult to keep Lonicera
Nitida nice and compact and covered with leaves. the moment I turn my back it
becomes afflicted with twiggy bits that only have leaves on the end. I don't
know what variety mine is bit it has variegated yellow and green leaves. ISTR
that gardeners worl program tried it as edging in a formal garden and then
ripped it out for the same reason

Gill, we've grown this as a sort of pillar on one side of a pergola and it
looks lovely. It gets close clipped once or twice a year and is growing on
a stony path with good drainage but not very good soil. I don't know if
those growing conditions make any difference. I think ours is Baggesen's
Gold and again, I'll take a photo and put it up for you to see.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-08-2007, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/8/07 10:49, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

snip

Without a doubt the best replacement for box I have seen is dwarf myrtle
(may be ugni now or even luma - botanist have had a right go at Myrtle!)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Is that the one with the strawberry scented berries, Charlie?

Old 07-08-2007, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 7/8/07 08:47, in article
,
"Gill Matthews" Try the
wrote:

In article ,
says...

"Draven" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

I've been trying to find a picture on the net of a Lonicera hedge, no joy.

Please put up your pic.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Gill Matthews" Try the wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...

"Draven" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Gill M

Without a doubt the best replacement for box I have seen is dwarf myrtle
(may be ugni now or even luma - botanist have had a right go at Myrtle!)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Holders of National collections of Clematis viticella
and Lapageria rosea cultivars

Been looking into Dawarf Myrtle.
Seems perfect except for it may die if it gets too cold during winter.

Found a nice pic of it as a hedge he

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...XA:en%26sa%3DN

Old 07-08-2007, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| Without a doubt the best replacement for box I have seen is dwarf myrtle
| (may be ugni now or even luma - botanist have had a right go at Myrtle!)

That's an ugni thought - that's positively lumatic.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.