Old 22-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Registered User

Default Replacing Leylandii hedge

I have removed a monstrous Leylandii hedge and want to replace it with something more attractive and evergreen that will tolerate the poor soil left behind. Would Portuguese laurel fit the bill?
Old 22-02-2008, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:08:49 -0000, Charlie Pridham
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

In article ,
says...

I have removed a monstrous Leylandii hedge and want to replace it with
something more attractive and evergreen that will tolerate the poor
soil left behind. Would Portuguese laurel fit the bill?

It will, and so will cherry laurel, but the expression out of the frying
pan and into the fire comes to mind! (I have just cut my laurel hedge and
am right off it!)

Laurels are bad news. They don't half grow!

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Old 24-02-2008, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

®óñ© © ²°±°-°² wrote:
Laurels are bad news. They don't half grow!

Yes, true, laurels do really shoot up, every year and they do need
trimming back on the sides as well, otherwise, like rhododendrons they
just keep spreading ever outwards with the outer surface being a fairly
thin but dense wall of leaves and the inside of the bush being "empty".
However, they are much easier and more pleasant to trim, in my
experience, despite the amount of work involved. If you don't mind
trimming them, top and sides, every year, then the secret is simply to
never let them get to a height where trimming the top section is
difficult for you. There lovely luscious shiny green leaves are a
year-round pleasure.

Eddy.

Old 24-02-2008, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Eddy writes:
| ®óñ© © ²°±°-°² wrote:
| Laurels are bad news. They don't half grow!
|
| Yes, true, laurels do really shoot up, every year and they do need
| trimming back on the sides as well, otherwise, like rhododendrons they
| just keep spreading ever outwards with the outer surface being a fairly
| thin but dense wall of leaves and the inside of the bush being "empty".
| However, they are much easier and more pleasant to trim, in my
| experience, despite the amount of work involved. If you don't mind
| trimming them, top and sides, every year, then the secret is simply to
| never let them get to a height where trimming the top section is
| difficult for you. There lovely luscious shiny green leaves are a
| year-round pleasure.

A much better plant for that purpose in the south and west (even further,
if these warm winters keep up) is bay - Laurus nobilis. All of the
advantages of laurel, grows more slowly, smalled nice, and is useful
in the kitchen (and for celebrating victories and triumphs, of course).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
I have removed a monstrous Leylandii hedge and want to replace it with something more attractive and evergreen that will tolerate the poor soil left behind. Would Portuguese laurel fit the bill?
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I was coming to the same conclusion about the Portuguese laurel. I may go for something completely different, probably a mixed hedge.
Old 25-02-2008, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Also remember that the prunings give off cyanide gas so if you are
taking it to the skip - keep the windows open
Regards
Clifford,
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire
Old 26-02-2008, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
Laurus nobilis. All of the
advantages of laurel, grows more slowly, smalled nice, and is useful
in the kitchen (and for celebrating victories and triumphs, of course).

If one were tired, does anyone know if there is a general recommendation
re whether it is safe to lean on or not?

--
regards andyw